Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chappies,

Finally got back into working on the old R80 yesterday. Got on really well, all electrics now functioning, all brakes working after a major overhaul.
Replacing the balance bar on the exhaust, got both fins off easy peasy, but cannot get either exhausts out of the cylinder(s) Concentrating on one of them, spent a good 2 hrs yesterday, heating, soaking in plus gas overnight etc, still will not budge :(
Tonight managed to turn it a wee bit, but my concerns are

a) If I get one out, will I manage to get it back in again ?
b) There are two gasket compression rings, should there be three ? is one stuck in the barrel ?
c) Is there an easier way to do this apart from banging fek out of it with a rubber mallet ? Mind you, after lying for 15 years, maybe I should have expected something like this.

Hoping to get her mot'd shortly and this is the only thing I can see holding me back.
If someone can get back to me soonish, want to get her up and ready before I head out west on Monday

Cheers

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Just to check. Have you managed to separate the two exhausts from the balancer pipe so you can move them independently?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Roger,

Done that.
Just can't budge them either of them significantly to get out of barrel :(

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Might be that a previous owner has used a sealer when fitting the exhausts, found it on a previous bike, no amount of heat would shift it, came down to sitting down and rocking the exhaust up and down until the "seal" cracked then cleaning the inlet out prior to refitting. Total bollox and I can still hear the crack!

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be that a previous owner has used a sealer when fitting the exhausts, found it on a previous bike, no amount of heat would shift it, came down to sitting down and rocking the exhaust up and down until the "seal" cracked then cleaning the inlet out prior to refitting. Total bollox and I can still hear the crack!

That could be it, I thought I heard a crack after applying heat and a deluge of hammer blows.

I'll try again in the morning, applied more gallons of plus gas.

Cheers

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
b) There are two gasket compression rings, should there be three ? is one stuck in the barrel ?
Should be two. One with a gap in it, both angled so when they're compressed by the big finned nut they squeeze the pipe airtight against the head. Nothing goes down the hole but the pipe itself. Which way round the two rings go eludes me at the moment, though.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/exhaustnuts.htmI

know they usually have two rings but this R45 only shows one?
RealOEM.com * BMW 248 R45 Exhaust system

While this R80G/S shows two rings:
RealOEM.com * BMW 2471 R 80 G/S Exhaust system

Order of fitment:

One tip would be to losen the exhaust nut on both sides.
Wiggle the pipes around firmly, but gently.
Start the engine, and gradually shut off the end of the exhaust pipe for each cylinder.
The exhaust pressure and heat could loosen the pipe enough to take it out.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, gonna give it another few thwacks today, just seems to be extremely tight :confused:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I bet you've got a human + another bike + a tow rope......the time for subtlety is over! :cool:

If it works....

If it don't.....

Fill in the spaces....:)

P.S. I think I'd strap the muffler to the frame just enough to keep it straight and parallel as you pull.:)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I think we should all try to get old, minimalist airheads and go and do the Stella in the spirit of it's origins.

A basic road bike seeing how far it's practicle to get. :)

No hurry John but we'll have to do this whilst we can still climb on a bike....:D

Back to the thread! (sorry).

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Get on with it man. When you are done we can have a wee get together. A sort of old codgers on old bikes. Andy can bring his XBR and Ray can bring any one of his bikes. :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I think we should all try to get old, minimalist airheads and go and do the Stella in the spirit of it's origins.
Actually that would be a bit of a hoot. I think I might want to van it part or all of the way there but I can think of few things I'd rather take to the top.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
know they usually have two rings but this R45 only shows one?
RealOEM.com * BMW 248 R45 Exhaust system
Some of the older ones only had one ring, and had an angled surface in the wingnut. No problem to replace it with the later 2 ring setup though.

Oh, another thing. Tightening those big exhaust nuts, some workshop manuals out there claim they need to be done up at 150 Nm torque. This is completely and pun-intendedly nuts! Best way is to do it by ear: Start off hand-tight, then start the engine and increase until the noise (from the various air leaks) drops.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some of the older ones only had one ring, and had an angled surface in the wingnut. No problem to replace it with the later 2 ring setup though.

Oh, another thing. Tightening those big exhaust nuts, some workshop manuals out there claim they need to be done up at 150 Nm torque. This is completely and pun-intendedly nuts! Best way is to do it by ear: Start off hand-tight, then start the engine and increase until the noise (from the various air leaks) drops.
Excellent advice, hoping to get it all back together shortly :thumbup:

Get on with it man. When you are done we can have a wee get together. A sort of old codgers on old bikes. Andy can bring his XBR and Ray can bring any one of his bikes. :)
I'm going as fast as I can Cap'n :D

Thinking of joining this lot

Highland Classic Motorcycle Club - Homepage

They have a rally around Loch Ness in June which is always well attended and is good craic :thumbup:
Fancy a go on it ?? I'm doing it as long as it doesn't clash with anything else that I may have forgotten about :confused:

I've followed it on a few occasions ( from afar :-D ) , good to see old bikes getting a damn good thrashing along the Lochside :cool:

Oh, got that pipe off eventually, what a nightmare that was. Some [email protected] had put setting compound on the end of the pipe.
Going to take some bits away with me for the week to polish up and assemble when I get back :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Thinking of joining this lot

Highland Classic Motorcycle Club - Homepage

They have a rally around Loch Ness in June which is always well attended and is good craic :thumbup:
Fancy a go on it ?? I'm doing it as long as it doesn't clash with anything else that I may have forgotten about :confused:
Could be a larf.. I'll set out in May and see you there :)

Oh, got that pipe off eventually, what a nightmare that was. Some [email protected] had put setting compound on the end of the pipe.
Going to take some bits away with me for the week to polish up and assemble when I get back :thumbup:
loads of copperslip on the way back and remove and regrease every year seems to be the train of thought.

Out of interest there was a piece on the TV news about some work being done on a Skye Hydro plant. It had a little railway to get down to to the power station. Anything to do with the work you are doing?

Reactions: lowflyer

·
Hill Rider
3,111 Posts
Nooooo! you'll start smelling of wee and talking even more borlicks :D I did a talk for them years ago, on advanced riding. Nice bunch of geezers

Oh, got that pipe off eventually, what a nightmare that was.
About time yer woman - thought I'd have to pop through with me biggest tappometer stick to help get it off :D :rolleyes: :thumbup:

So let me get this right - your going to be buffing your pipe in yer caravan of an evening? :grin: I'm sure the van's rocking will keep any other van dwellers from your door

Be good to see this old bus on the road - and the bike :rolleyes: :D

See you soon

Steve T

:cool:

Reactions: Boris

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
So let me get this right - your going to be buffing your pipe in yer caravan of an evening? :grin: I'm sure the van's rocking will keep any other van dwellers from your door

Well all the best sheep will be taken by the time John gets there.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could be a larf.. I'll set out in May and see you there :)

loads of copperslip on the way back and remove and regrease every year seems to be the train of thought.

Out of interest there was a piece on the TV news about some work being done on a Skye Hydro plant. It had a little railway to get down to to the power station. Anything to do with the work you are doing?
Boris, the Hydro scheme is along at Waterstein I think. There was initially a cable line going down to the shoreline, Not sure if this is the area though. It is being built by some cowboy contractors ( not us ) :D:D
Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Nooooo! you'll start smelling of wee and talking even more borlicks :D I did a talk for them years ago, on advanced riding. Nice bunch of geezers

About time yer woman - thought I'd have to pop through with me biggest tappometer stick to help get it off :D :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Be good to see this old bus on the road - and the bike :rolleyes: :D

See you soon

Steve T

Thanks for that :confused::D
I have access to a shed on the site, it'll keep me out of the pub

For a little while ;)

See you're getting the hang of these multiple quotes at long last :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
This thread has gone to the dogs today. Down with this sort of thing, lets gets back to discussing Lowflyer's nuts!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts