Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am considering buying an Akito Desert jacket now that I have ... ahem.... outgrown my old one. Searching the forum I get the impression that the quality will be OK for the price, but I am just wondering about the sizing :confused:

I went to Hein Gerricke and tried on a whole bunch of jackets and it seems that on their sizing I would need a 58 (Eur) which I guess is about 48 UK. Even this was a little tight in the arms. Is the Akito stuff similarly sized or is it a bit more generous? What are peoples experiences when trying these brands?

Looking forward to your help and ta in advance :thumbup:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I found it a tad more generous, I've just had to buy myself a smaller pair of the trousers............mind you it was nice to have something for once that was too big rather than too small:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all

I Have just bought one of these today from my local dealer following some advice from the forum! Advice from Akito rep was to go a size up from your regular sizing and this worked out right for me!
I know it sounds obvious but best bet is to try before you buy if possible!!
I paid £110 after dealer knocked a tenner off!!...........looks good quality at that price and I have looked at all sorts including Dainese & HG!
Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 6'4" with a 48" chest and long arms and HG size 58 was useless, fitted around the body ok but was 3-6" short in the arms. Their XXL sized "Sheltex" stuff (the cheaper Tuareg etc) was better. Tried plenty of Frank Thomas stuff and had the same issues.

I ended up with an Akito Desert jacket and trousers in XXXL (long-fit trousers) and they are doing great service at the moment. JS Accessories did a good deal on the suit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all and thanks for the replies so far :thumbright:

Advice from Akito rep was to go a size up from your regular sizing and this worked out right for me!

I know it sounds obvious but best bet is to try before you buy if possible!!
A size up from regular sounds promising which I guess may be a size down from the Goretex HG stuff I tried on :confused:

As for trying on.... would love to, but now the Christmas break is over I am not sure when I will have the time to get to an Akito trader so was looking at some of the deals on flea bay!
I guess I will just have to make the effort :toothy3:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Tere is a good write up in the TRF mag this month and Littlewoods Direct sell them by post so you could order the size you think and if its wrong then just send them back and get the next size until your happy.From the comfort of your own home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now down to £95 from JS!!! Their Greenwich store can't be much of a schlep for you?
You're right Lostboy, Greenwich isn't too far. Unfortunately I have a couple of busy weekends on top of the working weeks stopping me getting there, hence the Q's.

Anyhow, thanks to all of the advice on here and reviews on other sites I have bitten the bullet and ordered off ebay, and at a very good price :blob4:
Just hope it works out OK :toothy9:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I have bitten the bullet and ordered off ebay, and at a very good price :blob4: ,Just hope it works out OK :toothy9:
Let us know how you get on, I'm dead pleased with mine even though I now have a pair of xxxl and a pair of xxxxl trousers:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's arrived!

The jacket landed on the doorstep almost exactly 48 hours after I clicked the buy-it-now button and I have to say on first inspection it is £75 well spent :mrgreen:

I bought the 4XL size after a quick measure of the pec's plus back protector and winter woolies, and then went with the comments of you guys plus other sites on comparisons. The fit seems about right with plenty of length in the arm, although a good test on the bike will confirm all is OK.

Quality is pretty good on first look also. I had been contemplating the HG Dayglow Cruise jacket (goretex) but was struggling with the £300 price tag. Compared to the Akito I deffo don't think the HG Cruise is 4x better built or specced. I would say that the quality of the Akito is not up to the HG standard; a good downpour might sway me a little, but from what I have read I shouldn't have any probs with the waterproofness.

Overall it's :thumbup: so far

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Well, it's arrived!

The jacket landed on the doorstep almost exactly 48 hours after I clicked the buy-it-now button and I have to say on first inspection it is £75 well spent :mrgreen:

I bought the 4XL size after a quick measure of the pec's plus back protector and winter woolies, and then went with the comments of you guys plus other sites on comparisons. The fit seems about right with plenty of length in the arm, although a good test on the bike will confirm all is OK.

Quality is pretty good on first look also. I had been contemplating the HG Dayglow Cruise jacket (goretex) but was struggling with the £300 price tag. Compared to the Akito I deffo don't think the HG Cruise is 4x better built or specced. I would say that the quality of the Akito is not up to the HG standard; a good downpour might sway me a little, but from what I have read I shouldn't have any probs with the waterproofness.

Overall it's :thumbup: so far
I'm sure it will not be long before it gets the rain test.......mine has withstood some pretty heavy downpours without problem, even those long zips in the sleeves seem watertight:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts