Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_7522.jpg

A question for the all-seaons-riders:
How do you prepare your bike for the cold months?

I admit, that I don´love ice and snow riding. Usually I try not to be out on the bike when the conditions are really bad, but nonetheless I spent a lot of time on my motorcycle at low temperatures because I´m an addict and I live „car free“.

My modifications for the cold season are:
- winter tires (K60 M+S Silica (SiO2)) – I bought them last year by chance and they turned out be good. The rubber is really soft. Thereby I put new SiO2-K60 on just these days.

PB190010_2.jpg

Heated grips + handlebar muffs- The muffs look horrible, but in combination with the heated grips they are a real pleasure. Much warmer fingers than with standard hand protections. You get the best results if you ride with semi-warm gloves since that allows much more temperatur transfer on the inner side of your hands and the outer side is wind protected by the muffs.

PB190007.jpg

So again the question: How do you prepare your bike for the cold season?

Cheers

Frank

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I keep the good bike in the shed away from road salt over winter I used to use gun oil for corrosion prevention but it attracts dirt I think so I just pulled the trigger on a can of acf50 :D as our merican cousins would say . after craving a can of it for a few years probably at this stage . it might seem to be expensive at £15 a can but once a bike goes rusty that's it its rusty so kind of false economy . if you love the old girl buy her a a bottle of acf50 for the ould Christmas . you could buy a bird a bottle of perfume and get no spin after it :thumbleft: I will wash them both well and give them the works . battery's out of everything only the family car brought into the house . next year with the help of god I will have an air compressor and a jet nozzle to dry bikes . I am thinking of buying a heat gun if it was kept a safe distance wouldn't it dry a bike off grand before applying the acf50 ?

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I don't commute (or work come to think of it!) So winter use is for 'pleasure'

Basically, waxoil & lots of it!
After the waxoil its plenty of strategically placed rubber & plastic flaps to keep the crap off inaccessible bits of the bike

A heated jacket & grips are a godsend (even if the jacket is a cheapo home made jobbie from a headed car seat cover...)

Anyway, that reminds me, I must try & fit the muffs as they really are great

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
after looking at some youtube videos on how to apply acf50 I came across a video recommending scottoiler fs365 instead as it washes off easier but don't last as long . I also seen a hot air dryer in one video but similar ones seem to be £90 so that got me thinking they are 2400w lidl in Ireland will be selling hair dryers that are 2200 w for 12.99 euro on the 12th so my good woman will be getting a new hair dryer and I can have the old one for drying the bike . they also have small angle grinders and discs hammer action corded 500w drill hole saws all sorts of bits decent looking socket sets for 40 euro be grand for a young lad shelving screw drivers ratchet spanners and all sorts of goodies some people might think it a bit daft using a hair dryer to dry a bike but I don't care what they think they wash their bike and I will wash mine . the heat gun is probably a daft idea it could do damage . I made the mistake of getting the acf50 sent by parcel motel they have a back log of parcels with the festive season only days away . hopefully it don't take too long :mad: .........edit I just washed a bike and tried a hair dryer total waste of time . I am going to start saving up for an air compressor 15 euro a week stashed in a jar I will have the price of one in a couple of months . a proper dryer would nearly cost as much and all it would do is dry a bike a compressor will pump a tyre spray paint and all the rest .

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
acf 50 has got hear just needs to get to my local collection point hope its tomorrow should have it by the weekend . I am a going get stuck in dosing the bikes . I will go to town on them . preventing is better that trying to remove rust and corrosion . then as it gets milder I will get stuck in greasing bearing and checking for wear . I might even get into valve clearance inspection . I am looking at air compressors by next Christmas I will have one no doubt .

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I don't commute (or work come to think of it!) So winter use is for 'pleasure'

Basically, waxoil & lots of it!
After the waxoil its plenty of strategically placed rubber & plastic flaps to keep the crap off inaccessible bits of the bike

Anyway, that reminds me, I must try & fit the muffs as they really are great
I like that valance Phil, looks a very sensible idea... One I will try on the new trailie to stop some of the crap from a stupid high level front mudguard!! Gonna tru some ATV muffs I got free years ago on the same bike for winter trail riding too :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oliver....There's winter and then there's WINTER...40 years ago i did 50 mile each way in snow, only because i had to ! ! as both cars had mega serious probs...the tiny 250cc trail bike had road legal knobbly's, and i went slower than slow, froze to death nearly, and nearly slid off the road a 1000 times...just to get to work !...Well if it's WINTER, WINTER....DONT...unless of coarse you happen to be a professional motocrosser...It's not fun in my eye's...Boy did i get called some names that day, the worst ones by myself.....

Just watched that video that was posted up....Yes that brought back terrible memory's...bloody scary...Spent most of the day shut in a warm room recovering, only to have to do it again in the dark to get home....NEVER AGAIN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts