Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be going to have a couple of days in the Alps in September, on my way back from Croatia. I'm definitely considering taking in the Stelvio, as I've never done it. But I know there are a million brilliant roads in the Alps, so what are the other tarmac coated passes I shouldn't miss out on?

Iain

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'll post a list up later that me and Stanbloke did last time out that way

Any on the border of Italy and France are all great

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
But I know there are a million brilliant roads in the Alps, so what are the other tarmac coated passes I shouldn't miss out on?

Iain
If you find yourself in southern Bavaria near the Salzburg border in Bertchesgadenland there is a road called The Rossfeld Höhenringstraße that is pretty spectacular.....I used to live round that way and it would always put a smile on my face after the long Bavarian winters....
If you google it you can get further details.
It costs a few euros to ride it and I guarantee it will take your breath away if mountian scenery is your thing.:thumbup:

informationen-panoramakarte-01-panoramakarte.jpg

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Get a copy of John Hermans 'Motorcycle tours of the Alps and Corsica' and take your pic!

I personally love the Dolomites and would happily base another trip in the area (given an opportunity!)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Here you go Iain, take your pic, some are full roads, some are single tracks ST

Col de L'Iseran
Col de Petit San Bernardo
Col D'Izoard
Colle Dell'Agniello ST (stunning)
Col de Fenestre ST
Colle de Morte ST
Colle de La Bonnette (mental)
Col D'Isolla ST
Cole de Vars
Colle Y Sepyre ST

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Stelvio > Umbrail (a Short section is graded at the top, no problem for even the most 'standard' road bike though) > Timmelsjoch > Pillerhohe > Silvrettastrasse

All sort of link up pushing you west and north, Iain.

If you have time to spare, take a side trip off Timmelsjoch to Vent. Beautiful up there, it's where they found Otzi -

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Get a copy of John Hermans 'Motorcycle tours of the Alps and Corsica' and take your pic!

I personally love the Dolomites and would happily base another trip in the area (given an opportunity!)
Gentlemen do Lunch goes long....? I'm game :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John Hermann's book has arrived, and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop! But my eyes are becoming too big for my head. The current plan is to arrive in Ancona early on the Thursday morning, and I have to be back in Calais by late Saturday evening. The Dolomites look fantastic, so maybe on Thursday I can ride up to Cortina, and on Friday head across to Stelvio and then north, with Saturday being a long motorway slog back to the coast.

A slight problem I'm having with planning is that BaseCamp will not route over Passo del Gavia or Passo dello Stelvio, which would be my preferred loop from Bergamo to Prato. Surely both these passes are likely to be open in September?

Iain

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I would've thought September would be fine, although I went in mid june one year, I got an email a week later from a local I got chatting to where the place was snowed over so no guarantees I guess.

On col Rostenford/la Bonnettte (heading to St Etienne as I recall) there is an easy track that drops off to the left & meanders into stunning valleys surrounded by vast mountains & remarkable tranquility.....

If you pass (pun) there & think ''ooh that looks interesting'' you're probably on the right track.
I was fully laden, on road tyres with no detailed map no food or water & lowish on fuel as I recall & had no idea where it went so probably not a sensibly decioion but sooo glad I ventured :)

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would've thought September would be fine, although I went in mid june one year, I got an email a week later from a local I got chatting to where the place was snowed over so no guarantees I guess.
Thanks. I'll be on the other bike, so it'll be strictly tarmac only for this trip. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for lack of snow.

Iain

1 - 13 of 13 Posts