Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have them, are they good value etc. Any opinions welcome.
I am asking as a guy who I did a bit of work for last month has paid me cash and I am thinking of treating the Tiger to a set of alloy cases as the Triumph originals are sh*te.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Never owned any but I've read that they are fine. Very good for the money, actually. From what I've also read they are no worse than Zegas and a heck of a lot cheaper...

Just don't expect the same robustness of some of the decent hand built cases. (although some of the hand built/high end ally bins are probably no better...).

To put it another way: they're fine...

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, Ard cases and Zegas are about £100 more than the Alpos so I suppose you get what you pay for. I am not about to do any round the world trips so I reckon the Alpros will do me for the odd camping trip.
Now I just need to work out how to fit them to the Triumph fittings. :confused: I know they will fit just have not got my head round it yet!

Andy.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a set on my bike

They took a beating after this photo was taken as I hit the bollards at 10MPH and put a dent in them.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive had a good look at them on several bikes, they look like really good value with one proviso, every one had beefed up the boxes at the attachment points where the metal is a little thinner than other brands. not a problem, most had simply put an extra plate on the back of the boxes either inside or outside, ranging from very professional spot welding to just sandwiched between box and rack.

one guy said the slightly thinner construction was actually a bonus because it was easier to bash them back to shape and get the lid on after a crash, and he would rather the box bent than have it all too strong and the force of impact going through to the subframe.
makes sense i guess.
theyre the ones i would go for because triumph luggage is pants. luckily ive got a honda! the tiger is a great bike, how can they build that and have such poor accessories (especially bloody expensive ones) AND ignore years of people moaning about it?

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
good panniers! i have some 41l on my Vara.

i dont trust the sw-motech mount system on mine for long distance so i use a strap round the pannier and rack to make sure they dont bounce off!

but over all good, cheap panniers!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I do have the SWMotech mounts on my bike and have had no problems, the extra strip of alloy used for adding strength came with the boxes and mounting kit.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, today I was doing some measuring up with a view to fitting the Alpos on the Tiger. I am thinking that even with the slimmest box on the exhaust side it may make the bike a little on the wide side. :confused:
Does anyone have a measurement from outside edge to outside edge i.e. the full width of the panniers across the bike so I can make a comparison to see what width might be acceptable. ;)

Andy

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The Alpos are a decent, good value pannier,
Certainly comparing them to Touratech, Ard cases & Metal Mules, you can see that the Alpos are a cheaper case made out of thinner alloy but they still do the job just fine, I added another piece of alloy plate onto the side where the brackets are to stiffen them as they did flex quite a bit.

You can get loads more in the top opening panniers compared to plastic clam-shell types of similar size :thumbright:

Phil

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
You can get loads more in the top opening panniers compared to plastic clam-shell types of similar size :thumbright:

Phil
absolutely, and the regular shape makes things easier too, one of the reasons i wouldve liked some but my varadero came with the above dodgy shaped plastic clamshells from honda, which are simply too excellent to get rid of. just have to get used to the shape and give some thought to packing.

if i ever wreck them in a crash then i would replace them with alloys

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
absolutely, and the regular shape makes things easier too, one of the reasons i wouldve liked some but my varadero came with the above dodgy shaped plastic clamshells from honda, which are simply too excellent to get rid of. just have to get used to the shape and give some thought to packing.

if i ever wreck them in a crash then i would replace them with alloys
Same thoughts as I had. I must say now I have the alloy boxes on the GSA I get so much more in than I ever did on the Honda boxes. I can get everything I need for a few days in the two boxes and still have a little room left. On the vara I had both cases packed full and still had to put my stove, frying pan and other nick nacs in the topbox.

I'll fit them tomorrow and let you know the total width.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a set but they're not yet fitted. I think looking at them they're probably not going to stand much off road abuse as standard but given the cost v the TT ones I'm happy.

If needs be, I'll add some additional structure to them for strength. Its certainly a lot easier that building from scratch which is what I was considering after seeing the price of the TT ones.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Mine are fitted to the carriers with just hat they supply and I use Tesco Freezer bags for the packing they fit into the cases perfectly.
Jacqueslemac is witness to the clout they got in France when I miss judged the space between two bollards.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I do have the SWMotech mounts on my bike and have had no problems, the extra strip of alloy used for adding strength came with the boxes and mounting kit.
i understand the makers/importers have listened to advice from early buyers and have done something about it, giving you the extra strengthening now.
im not sure but i heard these boxes weren't originally designed for motorbikes, thats why the metal isnt as thick as TT/zega etc. they originated in cz as army food cans or something and some bright spark suddenly had a lightbulb moment. theres something similar with US army food cans, or was?
who cares? they look good and work well

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'll fit them tomorrow and let you know the total width.
OK Each box is 29cm wide (one has a cutout at the bottom for the exhaust) and the total width when fitted on the bike is 100cm. The next widest bit on the bike is the handguards which are 98cm at their widest.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been measuring again and because of the high level exhaust the right hand box would be way out in the breeze :( making the bike too wide for my liking so it looks like I will just have to put up with the Triumph sh*te that it came with.:rolleyes:

Now I just know someone is going to say they have seen Tigers with alloy boxes on, so have I, but they are just too wide for tight spots as far as I am concerned.

Andy.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Mine are fitted to the carriers with just hat they supply and I use Tesco Freezer bags for the packing they fit into the cases perfectly.
Jacqueslemac is witness to the clout they got in France when I miss judged the space between two bollards.
eeeee lad, I did just the same in a Supermarket car park in France last year in front of Jaqueslemac!! Most embarassing, happily my trusty companions helped me pick up the TA and decide that no real damage was done. Later that day, the real damage to the 25 year old Givi pannier was revealed as a hole and some nasty cracking.... Fortunately Geoff ([email protected]) had miles of gaffer tape, usually used for mending his boot, so I patched up the hole with tape and no leaks were detected on the rest of the trip.

On my return, a sheet of fine alloy mesh and some resin sorted out the hole, and it then had 3 more trips. Testament to both Givi build, and the power of a good bodge!

Still want some ally boxes though :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts