Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, Advice Please!
So I'm organising a trip for 6 lazy bikers, only me having a nice comfy Vara, the rest being Bandits, VFR800, ZRX1200 & a streetfighter GSXR70 (no accounting for taste:rolleyes:).

Past 3 years Been to Reims (GP track), La Rochelle (submarine pens), & Normandy (the beaches), about 1400miles each time. Next year... well that's my question! :confused:

We only seem to do 200 - 250 miles per day (we stop a lot!), so I'm looking at 1400ish miles on the continent. NO (or very very little) motorway. Hotels only, NO camping. I'm in the midlands, so I'm looking at probably 6 days on the continent.

Choices so far:

1) Ferry to Santander, through some of the Pyrenees, and back through France. Pro-warm weather? Con-mountains may be taxing, ferry cost high?

2) Through France to Alps do some passes and back.
Pro-Easy & cheap ferries, Con-top bit of France dull?

3) Through Holland and Denmark to Sweden & back.
Pro-Never been up there! Con-weather?

Anyone done these and have a view, taking into account lazyness and a fondness for bars, which is 'best'?.... Any 'do not miss..' sights or roads? Anything negatives I should consider?

Thanks in anticipation! :thumbup:

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Have a look in the ride reports section. Here's one from a trip round France like you describe, only camping and a smidgeon too early on the year.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I can tell you about Sweden and a little bit about Denmark :p

Just tell me what you like to see, or the kind of roads you like to travel.

Denmark:

Sweden:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
If you decide on Spain I suggest riding down and ferry back - you rude into the warm all the way - the Pyrennes are easy no worries but a real beaut of a place is the Picos. Hugging the coast on the way down is good especially a blast around the Gironde vineries - go to St John de Lus on the border and ride the north France coast road to Bilbao then go to Potes in the Picos

Check out done of my older posts on

www. eurobike-angelo.blogspot.com

there are a few trips on that.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Howdy folks, Advice Please!

Choices so far:

1) Ferry to Santander, through some of the Pyrenees, and back through France. Pro-warm weather? Con-mountains may be taxing, ferry cost high?

Ferry down kicks it all off with a session!
Loads of sights, ride across the top of Spain first towards Santander. Options down to Carcassonne/Andorra.
Taxing? U mean bends and hills - yes. U mean costs - nope, Alps are way dearer.

2) Through France to Alps do some passes and back.
Pro-Easy & cheap ferries, Con-top bit of France dull?

Push on to Geneva in one day, rewards are worth it. Alpine roads are just one massive track. Loads of hotels, bars and food though not cheap. Usual passes need to be done: Col d Bonette, Col de Aspin, Grand St Bernard. If you turn left after Geneva there's equally awesome Swiss passes.
Alternative: Again get down to Geneva, through the Alps to Monte Carlo in 2 (easy miles), ride up to join the Route d Napoleon 1 day, another 2 days in this area across to Verdon Gorges/Millau. Home via Riems.

3) Through Holland and Denmark to Sweden & back.
Pro-Never been up there! Con-weather?
Can't help you there. Sweden sounds like fun, as does other counties while up there but going through the other two surely are just to get there?

Thanks in anticipation! :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replys for all 3 routes thanks guys, useful advice - I'm better informed already! Thanks for the link Jac - I had actually not noticed the 'ride reports' section :oops: Angelo - I'll have a look at the Picos for Spain thanks.

Kjell, I guess my most unknown route is to sweden. I get the impression that ferries higher up than the hook of Holland are a bit rubbish these days? I guess going via Holland does add quite a few miles though like Farky says.

Not keen on going through big cities, like staying in them though for evening refreshment. Roads - preferably twisty A & B roads with villages for coffee. I think this pic is a rough guess of what sort of miles we could do - what do you think from a sight seeing, good roads & hotel point of view?

Thanks again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I can meet up at "C" and guide you the best roads to "D"
That's my normal hunting territory :D

If You should decide to come this way, I'll help you out with roads and stops.

This would be better IMHO:

http://maps.google.se/maps?f=d&sour...57.284981,10.148621&spn=1.328572,5.262451&z=9

Between "K" and "L" you can drive on the sandy beach and play Rallye Dakar

Between "P" and "S" you are better of using the old costal road nearest the sea, instead of the boring E20
(I tried to move the route in my map, but my computer got totally frantic, so if you look at the map, just zoom in and use the road nearest to the sea instead of the outlined E20)

Halfway between "S" and "T" it's time for some sandy beach driving again for those of you that have bikes that can handle it.

I have driven these roads my self, although I halted in Amsterdam.

I Denmark you might as well stay in Youthhostels, they are normally very good and not expensive.

A tad more expensive are the same type of hostels in Sweden, but still affordable.

The west coast of Denmark is very nice, but do not expect any thrilling roads since Denmark is a flat country.
Keep your speed down in Denmark, cause the Fuzz is known to spend their time on bridges, behind bushes and likewise, with their radar guns...

Sweden is better in that aspect since the Police is occupied behind their typewriters,
fingerdancing away on reports nobody reads anyway.

//Kjell

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks! we'll be putting it to the vote soon, better check some ferry prices.

What's the weather like up there in late June?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Late June in Denmark could be like this:
(This is actually late June on the Danish West coast)

And the weather would be the same at the Swedish west coast.

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking good! The t-shirts inspire confidence, although anything with no rain looks good to me. Good collection of bikes too.

Many thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
looking good! The t-shirts inspire confidence, although anything with no rain looks good to me. Good collection of bikes too.

Many thanks :thumbup:
Surely they'd have tshirts on in anything above 10deg! Their not used to heat are they...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Portsmouth, Le Harve overnight. Then down through France to the Pyrenees on the back roads. Nice easy 2 day run away from the motorways and cities.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Portsmouth, Le Harve overnight. Then down through France to the Pyrenees on the back roads. Nice easy 2 day run away from the motorways and cities.
If you could put some more miles in per day you do the Alps on the route through France. Having ridden up and down the Pyrenees on several occasions myself and fellow power rangers (yes I was one once - still am in the head) much preferred the gnarlier twistier Spanish side of the Pyrenees than the French side. We had so much fun we shredded our front tyres in 2 days just riding up and down from Andorra to Bilbao end and back until it got too dark - like from breakfast till 11 pm at night when the fog came down.

Took 9 hrs to get back up to Cherborg from Bibao

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Down from Normandy and then atlantic coast is good, and yes it does look like 2 days would do it. My experience of the ovenight ferry (Caen) is no sleep! maybe it's just me?

9 hours from Cherb. to Bilbao! :shock: I am obviously a lightweight, I mean, my friends are obviously lightweights...

I had heard the Spanish Pyrenees side was the one to go for, dipped my toe in it when we went to Andorra this year with a Triumph...... 2000 Estate Automatic... 1967 and as slow as you like, had to stop to cool down twice. Mountains with valves wrong and only 3 brakes. Traffic jams were terrible and customs were hossing everyone for **** on the way out.

I'm not keen on the M-Ways, but it does seem that doing a bit would get us to the good stuff quicker, and let us do a few more miles a day. Maybe I just won't tell them until we pull up at a peage..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Choices so far:

Me & the Wife did this in July. Absolutely fantastic trip. Weather was superb (although we were lucky - a week later watched a bit of the Tour de France on TV at the same places we went and it was foggy & pretty grim!).
Fantastic scenery, great roads (nip into Northern Spain if you have time) and the mountains are easy - not taxing at all, just great.
Ferry is quite expensive but if you come back via a different port to Santander, it's better. I think we paid £460 all in for Plymouth-Santander and St Malo-Portsmouth, for 2 of us, bike and Club Class 4 berth cabins both ways. Food on board is fairly priced too. I'd go again at the drop of a hat!!
Whatever you decide - ENJOY!! :thumbup:
Our trip report: http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/48781-trip-pyrenees-july-2010-a.html

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks sparkly, good ride report. Piccys look most tempting indeed, ferry price a bit painful. I suppose the accomodation in Spain/France would be cheaper than Switzerland or Denmark/Sweden though, so would save a bit.

Spent 6 chuffing hours on a ferry this year as Cherbourg port was closed due to strikes, so diverted to Caen...on a 'cruise' crossing = slow.

Ferry aside this route looks like having good roads the whole way, i.e. able to avoid boring motorway.

Looks more like which route next, rather than which one to do - they all look good. :confused:

If you go again, How about the Lambretta next time? ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you go again, How about the Lambretta next time? ;)
I don't think I'm brave enough these days!
When I was a teenager, I rode all over the UK on Lambrettas, often 2 up and I loved it. It's only now I've had bikes with proper suspension, brakes, comfy seats and engines that'll actually finish the journey without breaking that I wonder how I ever did it!
I did read a great book about a guy who toured Italy on a Vespa the same age as him, just nice & slowly & relaxing and that sounds very appealing (if you have the time) but for proper Euro trips I'm afraid it has to be the Vara nowadays!
Glad you enjoyed the report & I hope you sort yourself out a great trip.

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Again, We eventually made a decision! Thanks to everyone for the info & the pics, very useful!

This year we are going...:eek:ccasion9:(parpy fanfare)... to go on (in?) the tunnel then down through France to the Pyrenees then over to Santander and back via the ferry. I was keen on Sweden, but the guys without fairings had reservations...:scratch:

It is 9 days and around 2000miles...ish. We did have to up our mileage per day suggested, I think the longest day is 330miles on big roads mainly - a bit below Paris to Millau. So it is:
Nottingham - Saint Omer - Montargis (below Paris) - Millau - Pau - Pau again - Jaca -Vitoria Gastez - Santander Ferry - Salisbury - Nottingham.

Just the usual goat sacrifices to make for weather then!:eek:ccasion5:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts