Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the trip to Wales last weekend seemed to be the last stand for my "old" HG Boots - they have started to split and stitching seems to rotting away. So off I set to Richmond today to try on some Altberg boots and give my wife a chance to try out her new Exo vest, courtesy of WinXPs mate.

Good outcome allround apart from the roads. Came away with some Hogg Allweather boots and am sitting here wearing them now watching telly still giving them a "dry run" at home. They are warm comfortable and very very good. My wife's heated jacket never came off max heat but she stayed warm, nay hot even despite 2 hours of close to zero temps and above the snow lne at times :thumbright: happy wife = happy Austin. :D.

The roads though were sh!te - I went the interesting way and frankly wished I hadn't. They were damp, greasy, muddy, broken up, grit all over the place, slippy, and did I already say it ....MUDDY. In short a horrible ride I really didn't enjoy much. The bike was filthy - a fella in Lancaster was looking at It and asked if I had been on a beach or something. Took over an hour to clean this afternoon. Roll on summer days:cool:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Altberg boots are the daddy got a pair about a year ago, the quality of the workmanship and leather is remarkable. These are in a league of there own in may opnion and are made in this country. One of the few things that are, but that's another gripe....

Hope you like them Austin :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
music to my ears....I am thinking of making the same trip in the not too distant future to get a pair of proper boots but can't decide between the hoggs and the clubman with buckles....i think I better go to the shop and see whta they feel like in the flesh....

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clubman with buckles is a fine looking boot and I was very tempted, but I couldn't get my foot in due to a highish instep, even into a size 2 bigger than I would need. I also didn't like the velcro bits. I know that Altberg will custom fit but after putting on a pair or Hogg Allweather that felt like slippers straightaway, I knew what I would be getting, and then even better they said I could take them away there and then - normally you have to wait 6-8 weeks while they make them - mid to end April they were saying to other customers.

If you are going I would advise mid-week if you can, and phone up first. The shop was dead busy yesterday (its small too) and customer service was its usual patchiness.

Today.... the sun is shining, the roads are dry, and my bike is clean(ish). I think I will be giving the boots a proper outing shortly:D

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Glad to hear that you Had a successful trip Austin.

Hope that you are happy with your Altbergs.

Personally I find them comfy boots but rude, unhelpful staff & crap build means that I will never venture there again. Not even to get them repaired - been back several times already.....

Phil

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear that you Had a successful trip Austin.

Hope that you are happy with your Altbergs.

Personally I find them comfy boots but rude, unhelpful staff & crap build means that I will never venture there again. Not even to get them repaired - been back several times already.....

Phil
Aye, phil, I remember your saga of delay and disappointment. I am hoping my boots will be ok. Right now they look like they would withstand a nuclear blast.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
I bought some Altberg Bandog Allweather boots a few years ago when they had a stand at the Classic Mechanics show. They´ve been great - comfortable, waterproof and quite warm (although not so today on my 270 mile ride!).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Always found them a good boot for work, warm, waterproof and comftable even when running stupid distances.
And never had a problem with the staff, my wife gets them fitted to her feet (odd toes) so were there quite a bit.

If any one is going there im only 2 miles away so the kettles always on.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
After hearng the comments on the clubman I will probably give the Hoggs a try, I like to idea of a bit of both...walking and riding boots at the same time....
bazza mine is one sugar and plenty of milk pls!

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Sounds an interesting debate with some different experiences, any chance someone could post a link, or pics (or both) and prices etc
New decent boots always sound good (but only happens once every 10 years in my life, unless we talking ex army ones which appear a little more freq))

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I gave up trying to get hold of some Altberg boots and no chance of getting up to the factory for a custom fitting that they insist I have.
So bought some TCX gortex boots instead, so far very happy bunny.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
I've had my All Weathers for over 5 years, only needing to get them re-done last year after the France & Spain trip - French rain started to make itself known to the inside of the boots :rolleyes:.

Sent them back for re-furb and for £65 I got new soles, internal lining and re-inforced area over the change lever area. They're now 100% waterproof again and I reckon I'll get another 5 years out of them before they next need attention.

Never had anything but great service from the company - the lining started to become detached at the back of one boot about 6 months into my first year of wearing them - fixed no problem, within a good timescale. Re-furb last year - I just put them in the post along with a note of problem, got a phone call within a week telling me that they were really busy and that they hoped to get my boots sorted within 4 weeks, before their summer holiday shut down, which they did.

Personally I have nothing but praise for the company and their products - my former collegues in the RAF's bomb disposal teams now have Altberg boots as the only one reccommended by the trades sponsor - nuff said really :thumbright:

Steve T

:cool:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How can she have that vest on max?... i was out today and had it on max (number 9) for about 10 minutes but had to dial it down to 3 as i was boiling
I know what you mean - she can be cold on the bike on a hot day:confused:
I have put it up to 9 a couple of times and feel unpleasantly hot after a few minutes. She is on about getting the battery now so she wear it at other times :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Aye, phil, I remember your saga of delay and disappointment. I am hoping my boots will be ok. Right now they look like they would withstand a nuclear blast.
Aye, I have been back to Altberg at least twice since, as the lace hooks fall off (they were never riveted correctly from new.....) but apparently it's my fault 'cos I tighten the laces too tight :confused:

They now look quite shabby & the stitching is coming away from the gearchange pad bit.
My latest CAT work boots are a far better boot for 1/2 the price!

It's amazing how people experiences can vary so much.

Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts