Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this counts as a long term use report but as boots are like tyres, and always cause a vast divergence of opinions, I thought it might be useful for someone to know that:

I have had my Altberg Hogg Microlite now for almost 5 years and have ridden over 40k miles in them. Boots are still in pristine conditions, fully water/chill proof and still fit like a glove. I have used them daily for commuting/riding and doubled them also as walking/winter boots in snow, camping trips etc.

All in all very pleased with them, about to resole them for the second time by the manufacturer. If I have to look for a fault (and I have to look really hard for one) is that the hooks and loops for the laces are not as smooth as they could/should be and they tend to eat the laces up. I have had to replace the laces about 3 or 4 times since new, but at less that 3 quid each time, it is nothing to worry about.

IMHO one of the best boots I have had in my 32 years of motorcycling.:thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Glad you like yours Tony. It was based on reviews like this that i bought a pair in 2010. But I have given up on them after nearly three years and two refurbs.

First refurb due to leakage, loose stitching and cracking leather after about 18months but they wouldn't entertain a warranty repair. After about a further 10 months they were leaking again and stitching coming undone again. This time they refurb'd under warranty but they came back significantly narrower fitting. I returned and they came back a few weeks later no different really. I tried stretching them at Timpsons but they reverted back to the narrow fit after a couple of days. I ended up having to wear them on my Eastern Europe tour earlier this year where it rained loads. The boots started leaking again and got even tighter as they wetted out. I hoped they would somehow stretch naturally but I ended up with corns on my toes and struggled to walk far in them - which was the whole point of having Hogg boots.

They are languishing at the back of the cupboard now until I decide to chuck them out. And before anyone mentions it they were frequently buffed up with the proper Leder gris dubbin. In fact they still look like new.

I really wanted to like Altberg and to have slipper comfortable waterproof bike boots that I could practically live in forever. Sadly not the case and where I once thought they had a quirky attitude to customer service I now think they simply don't know what they are doing. ( and that's being very polite).

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Glad you like yours Tony. It was based on reviews like this that i bought a pair in 2010. But I have given up on them after nearly three years and two refurbs.

First refurb due to leakage, loose stitching and cracking leather after about 18months but they wouldn't entertain a warranty repair. After about a further 10 months they were leaking again and stitching coming undone again. This time they refurb'd under warranty but they came back significantly narrower fitting. I returned and they came back a few weeks later no different really. I tried stretching them at Timpsons but they reverted back to the narrow fit after a couple of days. I ended up having to wear them on my Eastern Europe tour earlier this year where it rained loads. The boots started leaking again and got even tighter as they wetted out. I hoped they would somehow stretch naturally but I ended up with corns on my toes and struggled to walk far in them - which was the whole point of having Hogg boots.

They are languishing at the back of the cupboard now until I decide to chuck them out. And before anyone mentions it they were frequently buffed up with the proper Leder gris dubbin. In fact they still look like new.

I really wanted to like Altberg and to have slipper comfortable waterproof bike boots that I could practically live in forever. Sadly not the case and where I once thought they had a quirky attitude to customer service I now think they simply don't know what they are doing. ( and that's being very polite).

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Austins last paragraph sums it up for me.

Dire customer service, poorly made products followed up with more dire (verging on rude) customer service....
I've been back with mine probably 8 times and they were rebuild (badly) when new, I only perservered returning because it was a nice ride out when I lived up there!

Never ever again....

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Austins last paragraph sums it up for me.

Dire customer service, poorly made products followed up with more dire (verging on rude) customer service....
I've been back with mine probably 8 times and they were rebuild (badly) when new, I only perservered returning because it was a nice ride out when I lived up there!

Never ever again....

Phil

sent from my 'phone

this is interesting as you guys describe an almost completely different experience from mine......hard to believe we are talking about the same company.......it is a real shame.....

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I had a pair of Altbergs years ago (Clubman if I remember rightly), great pair of boots but not up to the sort of stuff I ride nowadays.

After losing my leg I phoned them and explained my needs of having to try a pair of boots on and the way I need to know if they'll go over my prosthetic leg before I buy etc, they didn't seem all that interested which was a real shame :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts