Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my '98 XR400 coupla weekends ago and was concerned about the kick starting aspect of it. Especially when struggled for 15 min in front of the guy teaching me how to start it and selling it to me!!!:rolleyes:

Since his instructing and having a few practice goes, it's started up on 2nd or third kicks nearly every time. I think once it took 5 goes!!!

So is this too easy in comparison to most others?

Lots on here seem to hate the kick start aspect. I like it. Feels like a real biker thing to do!!

Will I be in for a nasty shock when I try to start it up when green laning/hot bike/knackered me?

HFB

·
Registered
103 Posts
JJTar used to have an XR400 but couldn't get on with it out green laning.
Trying to kick start a bike when you're halfway up a muddy hill and already knackered aint no fun.:(
He sold his and got a Yamaha TTR 250. Its lower than the XR and has an electric start. Not as powerful but he much prefers it and his riding has improved due to him having confidence in his bike again.:p

Also to get an electric start fitted to an XR ain't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2nd or 3rd kick is good dont worry about that,if you worrried about it starting when its hot take it for a ride get it nice and hot then try and start it-dont forget the key is no throttle and a good tip is to turn the idle up a little

·
Registered
176 Posts
Look after a bike and keep it running right and it well start fine. The only people who complain about kick starts are lazy sods or wimps:-D
My XR400 started great and so does my XR650. Must admit to selling my 400 now but im getting lazy in me old age and wanted a bike that was easy going bimble type bike hence getting the DRZ400 with leccy boot. Still got my 650 though so im not selling out just yet:mrgreen:
Oh, does a 400 start ok in water and the likes?
Of course it does:thumbup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl9d-sdKrVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejwd6D7wS8
Yep, thats me on the XR from a mates camera and one mounted on mine aswell.

G

·
I went the opposite way to seawolf's mate. I sold an TTR250 and got a XR400. A couple of times i snuck out into the garage or "man zone" as i like to call it and started my XR. It took around 10 minutes each time and i was knackered. Really thought i had done the wrong thing then as if by magic, well reading the instructions the previous owner has written for me and looking at the others on the forum things became very easy. In fact its embarrassingly easy compared to my mates WR426f which is a right pain. Who ever suggested taking the kick start an inch past TDC is a God. I love mine. I did want an electric start kit but think i dont need one now. Priming the carb with the use of the decompression lever when cold is a must as well as making sure the airfilter is clean which is something that can be over looked by new XR owners (me in particular) The one thing i have learnt with the XR over my ttr is the art of not stalling and keeping the revs up. It does make you a better rider.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My xr250 starts 3-4 kick from cold 100% dont open the throttle.When warm its first kick every time but there is a knack to it. only time it takes a bit longer is if the bike has been on its side:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts