Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got ammo box panniers that come with my bike, they proved very useful on my weekend away and I have too much other stuff to buy to go spending £200 or so on a "decent" set... so I'm wanting to tart these up a bit... plan on rubbing them all down and re-painting, adding hooks to the tops and preferably some form of quick release system as they take ages to bolt on at the minute.

Any advice or tips on the quick release mounting system? or best places to get hooks.. and also a good way of making them lockable? was thinking of a latch in the middle with a padlock loop on the main body of the pannier maybe?

Here's my panniers

And obviously I don't want to spend too much money on them if possible :)

·
where next?
508 Posts
I welded small, L-shaped plates onto the sides so that they poke through a slot in the release catch. There's a hole in the plates so I can secure them with padlocks (4 locks, 1 key. Saves carrying loads of keys)

You can just about make out the fittings that I made to attach the boxes to my Givi rack. I cut a plate out of 15mm thick plastic heavy duty work top (lab grade stuff I got from work - very tough) which fits the shape of the inside of the rack loop so cannot slide forward or backward. I attached two aluminium plates at the bottom of the plastic. These are fixed in position and hook over the bottom rail of the rack. At the top, I used 2 more alu plates and these can pivot. They are held tight by wing nuts and lock washers on the inside of the box but when undone, can rotate out the way for easy installation/removal of the pannier. Worked absolutely fine so far.

It's a basic version of the puck type seen on touratech boxes which retail at around 50 quid a side. I can take a better pic of the fixing if you like.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What size are the boxes?

I'v been looking on ebay for a while but so far can only find the ones that open on the large side rather than the top.

or does anyone know where I can get these ammo boxes from?

Cheers,
Axe

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I welded small, L-shaped plates onto the sides so that they poke through a slot in the release catch. There's a hole in the plates so I can secure them with padlocks (4 locks, 1 key. Saves carrying loads of keys)

You can just about make out the fittings that I made to attach the boxes to my Givi rack. I cut a plate out of 15mm thick plastic heavy duty work top (lab grade stuff I got from work - very tough) which fits the shape of the inside of the rack loop so cannot slide forward or backward. I attached two aluminium plates at the bottom of the plastic. These are fixed in position and hook over the bottom rail of the rack. At the top, I used 2 more alu plates and these can pivot. They are held tight by wing nuts and lock washers on the inside of the box but when undone, can rotate out the way for easy installation/removal of the pannier. Worked absolutely fine so far.

It's a basic version of the puck type seen on touratech boxes which retail at around 50 quid a side. I can take a better pic of the fixing if you like.
That seems like a good idea, I can sort of see what you've done but would appricieate a more detailed pic if possible. I like what you've done with that loop too... I was a bit concerned about mine as they flex a lot especially as they are only bolted on with 3 x M8 bolts over a small surface area so they flex a fair bit!

Wondering if 20 mm black enamel conduit would be strong enough for a loop? I've got loads of that and a pipe bender at work, hmmmm! Might have to have a play tomorrow :D Have you mounted the loop to the boxes or to the givi rack? Ideally id only want the loop on when the panniers are on but bolting the loop to the panniers might make removing the panniers really akward, hmmm.

As for the locking idea.. I did consider that but wanted to avoid having 4 padlocks if possible, knowing me I'll lose them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size are the boxes?

I'v been looking on ebay for a while but so far can only find the ones that open on the large side rather than the top.

Cheers,
Axe
I can't help you there as I got them with the bike, I did look on ebay for some for a mate and couldn't find any. If it helps I can measure them up tomorrow night for you?

·
where next?
508 Posts
Just happen to have the back wheel off at the mo so you can get a good view.

Now with added dirt:

The loop is very much part of the Givi rack and stays attached to the bike. The plastic plate is not exactly the same shape but near enough to not move. The writing on the alu brackets refers to Left(panner)-Rear(bracket), and Left(pannier)-Front(bracket). I marked them up before drilling to make sure all the holes lined up. Just forward of the upper rotating brackets, I've added another smaller bolt. This is so it is not possible for some ar5e-hole to knock the brackets round and release the pannier when I'm away from the bike.

Inside the box looks like this:

Not exactly neat, but cheap :D

And the lock bracket:

Again, not exactly neat, but I made it and it's very satisfying I can tell you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh I see what you've done there! Genius!

I'll have to find me some of that plastic stuff and make mine the same as that looks a quality idea, I need to level mine up anyway as they are wonky so might as well do a proper job of it :thumbright: Means trying to get rid of that welded on seam thing that runs diagonally across the pannier though. or notching out the plastic I guess.

Looks like I'll be busy in the garage this week :rolleyes::cool:

·
where next?
508 Posts
I've just realized that the 'loop' you refer to is the bracing piece that I made rather than the loop of the rack itself. I felt that I needed the strength there so I made some strategically placed notches in a length of L shaped bar so I could bend it and weld it into the shape I needed. It's not that pretty but.. well you know the rest!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just realized that the 'loop' you refer to is the bracing piece that I made rather than the loop of the rack itself. I felt that I needed the strength there so I made some strategically placed notches in a length of L shaped bar so I could bend it and weld it into the shape I needed. It's not that pretty but.. well you know the rest!
Yep it's the brace I was on about that goes around from left pannier rack to right pannier rack. I was slightly concerned by the amount of flex in mine so am thinking of making something up similar to what you've done, just want to make it removable so it doesn't need to be on all the time, will have a play with some steel conduit and a bender :D

·
where next?
508 Posts
I got rid of the strengthening cross piece on the box to make it simpler. I also removed all the reinforcing from the inside of the lids to save a bit of weight as I didn't think it needed all that strength.

The first time I made a bracket like this, I used marine ply for the plate because it was all I could get hold of. That worked fine too.

·
where next?
508 Posts
Pat, shouldn't you be telling Ollie to get back to his studying and stop being distracted by bike talk :D:D:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not ammo boxes, but DIY alu boxes, but the holding mechanism is working 100%.

Difficult to describe, I'd like to upload photos...but how? :confused:

·
where next?
508 Posts
Subscribed members can use the photo gallery facility right here in the site. Otherwise you can upload your photos via a site such as smugmug or photobucket but I'm not sure how I'm afraid.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
where next?
508 Posts
Try B & Q for the lid loops. You might find a kitchen cabinet handle that fits the bill.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
What size are the boxes?

Cheers,
Axe
Try Army surplus stores, Ive been to one in Ripley (Derbyshire) and seen a few knocking about. Also a store in Nottingham. Thier website is Anchor Supplies Ltd, Europes Leading Genuine Government Surplus Supplier - dont know if they do them online but worth a look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts