Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used ammo boxes for panniers? If so, which ones did you use and where did you get them from? Sounds like a good idea to me, just concerened about the weight. I dont have any pannier racks fitted to the bike so l would make the rack to carry the panniers.

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
They are pretty thin so no heavier than a plastic pannier. You want 20mm ammo boxes, they are the closest in size, there was a thread on here about them last week. As for sourcing, I work alongside (not in) the Royal Navy and know they are all accounted for and returned to ammo depots once empty. Maybe try an Army Surplus store?

Here is the thread

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
There was a thread on ADV rider where an American bought the touratech Panier racks and the fitting kit for their boxes and mounted them to Ammo boxes but I can not find the thread at the mo but they looked cool.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Very clever, but then I thought about it. They'll be bloomin heavy and the seal will not be very watertight.
But, as you say they look good and have great handles!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
off subject I know but I noticed your comment on another post mentioning information published by the government about Isle of Man green lanes.
I'm hoping to be there in May and would much appreciate some information if you can help.
Thanks.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Drop AfricaSimba a PM. He bought some recently. They were on the heavy side though at 10KGs each! (7KG + 3kg lid I believe). I was in the large Anchor Army Surplus store in Ripley last weekend and they didnt have any in stock.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
10Kgs is too much
I have Swiss Army Pioneer boxes fitted, 'kin huge plastic double skinned edges 100% waterproof and weigh in just under 5kg
I got mine from fleabay.de have a look there are always army storage boxes either plastic or Glass fibre that could be adapted there are normally enough alloy boxes available too. I keep an eye for mine so I have spares but not seen any for nearly 2 years

I paid €32 for 2 of them last time
DSC01932-1.JPG DSC01981-1.JPG

·
Tea boy
121 Posts
Hi, just thought I would stick my bit in. Ammo cases weigh a ton. I have 100 army RPG plastic cases that I thought would be good for panniers, they are a bit like small slim suitcases. Again as with all this stuff you would need to covert them. I was thinking of sticking them on ebay, as a job lot.
Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as l am aware all the green lanes are open. There is a speed limit of 20mph on the lanes and all bikes must be road legal. Anything else you need to know ask and l'll try and help.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi, just thought I would stick my bit in. Ammo cases weigh a ton. I have 100 army RPG plastic cases that I thought would be good for panniers, they are a bit like small slim suitcases. Again as with all this stuff you would need to covert them. I was thinking of sticking them on ebay, as a job lot.
Bob
Hi Bob, you've reapeared,
you ok now?,
please PM me a photo of the boxes,
you coming up north again any time soon?
Me and some mates are camping/boating at Abersoch early June, you interested?
cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts