Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to say hello - I've been keeping an eye on the forum for a while, now - finally got round to registering yesterday!

Name is Tony (surprise!), had a new 700 Alp since March, and enjoying it plenty.

I liked the look of the forum when I first found it - notable absence of grinding axes and general pillockry (quite an achievement) - and it still strikes me the same way. Also found a good deal of useful info!

Been riding for years - given up twice, but can't seem to avoid buying another bike! This Alp follows two Harleys over 4 years, a 650 Alp before that, and a 400 Yamaha (since I last gave up!).

Beyond that is ancient history, but, in rough order with overlaps, BMW R100RS, TY250, Bantam, XT350, KLE 500, BMW K100, Super Tenere, 400 Honda, (another gap), MZ 250, Honda 400-4, XS650 Yam, RD350 Yam, 150 Lambretta, 350 AJS, 125 Lambretta - and a few odds and sods.

Why did I pick the Alp - well, I like the spread-out riding position (I'm a big bloke), the power level is low enough that I can occasionally wring its neck without losing my licence (but just enough to have adequate grin factor), and it's much better on country lanes than a Road King!

You will note that there's no mention of off-roading - I've very seldom taken bikes off road (the TY was the exception - but I rediscovered pain!) - and I don't see me changing my ways. I might venture the odd gravel track, but anything more adventurous is out! Overall, the Alp does what I want, and that's all that really matters to me.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings!

Thanks for running a good forum.

Cheers,

Tony M.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Welcome Tony, glad you like the site there's lots to see and do here. I notice your've already found the transalp bit and I guess that you have managed to find you way around other bits as well. We do have the occasional Axe grinding but it's very quickly sorted out with a pint at the national.

Now don't forget we are going to need some pictures, the gallery on the site is very easy to use. There are some simple instructions here

Please drop into Chatter section where you can grab a virtual chair, put your feet up and have a chat, sometimes bike related more often just a vague link :iconbiggrin:

If you want to get together with some of the guys in your area there is the meetup and rideouts where you can see if there are any rides planned in your area or post to organise one of your own

If there is anything you want to ask or if you have any problems then post in the problems with the forum section there are lots of helpful moderators and admins around that will help

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice choice of bike, a few pictures would be nice.:D

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, for the kind words.

Still finding my way around the forum - now on the map, too.

The bike's fine - I'm really rather enjoying myself. Only done about 1600 miles so far, and it's loosened off nicely - although I reckon I'm getting on for halfway through the back tyre (lack of restraint, I suppose). Two minor problems to date - engine management system locked out (something to do with a loose connection on the MAP sensor, apparently), and lost a bolt from one of the heatshields yesterday. I can forgive that!

Only variations from standard spec are a Givi top box and mounting, and (last night) a front mudflap (based on Wee Jack's approach and a black bucket!). I'll try and remember a camera next time we're out.

Cheers, all.

T.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts