Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just spent the last couple of hours putting the Varadero back to standard and removing all the satnav and intercom stuff and connections to the topbox.

I gave it the once over and it pretty much looks as good now as it did 18000 miles and 4 years ago when it was new

All in all it's been a great bike and in my 30 years of biking I can honestly say it's the first bike I'm sorry to see go. Someone is going to get a great bike.

But soon I will have a new bike and that could be even better. :blob:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Don't be sad be happy :thumbright: you need to first save up and fill the new bike to the brim and take it for a long run, not forgetting not to go over 4000rpm. and do not over load the beasty on her first outing.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't be sad be happy :thumbright: you need to first save up and fill the new bike to the brim and take it for a long run, not forgetting not to go over 4000rpm. and do not over load the beasty on her first outing.:thumbup:
New bike? I wish. I'm married you know :hitler:

It's a 2008 bike so already run in and it will get a good ragging from the off. Less than one week to go. I'm getting proper excited now :thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
OOOPs thought it was new the pictures make it look so shinny.:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOOPs thought it was new the pictures make it look so shinny.:D:D
It's actually not that clean but then the weather has been a "bit poor" round here for the last couple of months. The previous owner must have been scared of the mainstand as the right hand side is cleaner than the left in fact it has a couple of rusty bolts on the left hand brake calliper which was the first thing I saw when I walked up to the bike. Thankfully I saw the worst bits first and it was all uphill from there :)

The great thing is I will be able to make it even better. The problem with the Vara (well any new bike) is will never again look as good as the day you picked it up. The vara did well mind you. Apart from the fuel pump cannister and a couple of banjo bolts on the rear brake I haven't had to touch up any paint. Which is pretty good for 18K miles. 9.5 out of 10 for finish. Well done Honda

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Just stripped down mine to frame and engine, showed it the emery cloth and all the paint just fell off, honest it just fell off. Repainted it with hammerite satin black. she looks like new :D:D:D:D just got to polish the exhaust.:D:D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
And you've just parted with your immaculate 4yr old Varadero which never let you down, for a bike with known final drive issues and now "showed it the emery cloth and all the paint just fell off, honest it just fell off" :confused:

Ha ha!

Sorry mate, just jestin! Honda have had their moments as well, @T frames were similar, my last Varadero tank was painted but only just! I've never seen such a thin coat of laquer or colour! They're all much of a muchness now, apart from BMW prices! Did you see my rant about tourathief tonight? £90 for handguards? That's just robbery!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And you've just parted with your immaculate 4yr old Varadero which never let you down, for a bike with known final drive issues and now "showed it the emery cloth and all the paint just fell off, honest it just fell off" :confused:
Comforting thought isn't it :confused:

I've spent the cash now and if it doesn't work out I can always swap it for a new vara. Nothing ventured nothing gained. There must be something in them as those that have them love them.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think it would have been better if you had got a Brough Superior SS100.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Repainted it with hammerite satin black. :D:D

tee hee just love hammerite..

Boris ...

Scotoiler 365 after every wash.. love this stuff.. and its makes the shiny black paint on my XLV 750Rd motor shine..:D

oh its a 1985 Honda and the only paint missing has been worn off :thumbup:

weather getting better.. should finish my deep clean of the bike after the last run, taken in the gaps between the blizzards :hitler:

ohh she is in for a damb good thrashing this weekend.. :eek:ccasion8::blob8::eek:ccasion8:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
tee hee just love hammerite..

Boris ...

Scotoiler 365 after every wash.. love this stuff.. and its makes the shiny black paint on my XLV 750Rd motor shine..:D

oh its a 1985 Honda and the only paint missing has been worn off :thumbup:

weather getting better.. should finish my deep clean of the bike after the last run, taken in the gaps between the blizzards :hitler:

ohh she is in for a damb good thrashing this weekend.. :eek:ccasion8::blob8::eek:ccasion8:
I can hardly wait until Wednesday as I have four nights scheduled as rest days, The weather looks great, time to get the bike out for a nice long bimble.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Aye, did the same myself, sort of,,,,, sold the 51 plate Vara for the Tiger then went back to the 09 Vara using the mega trade in value of the Triumph!
As you say, there must be something in them as a lot of folk do like them.
Hammerite, great stuff! I did my white RD04 frame with it, looked a treat! Also recommend the satan black,,, sorry,,, Satin! I used to use it with my airbrush, brilliant professional looking finish!
Vader said he preferred his over the Vara and that was after three final drives! (Hmmmmmm, sanity check required methinks?) Ha ha!
Enjoy mate, I admit I loved my Tiger! A change is good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts