Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me identify a noise on my 1997 AT? It's best described as a whirring that is only audible when applying throttle and moving. You notice it from around 30mph and it sounds like it's from the chain/sprocket area? It goes off immediately on overrun but returns as soon as you apply power. The chain is well lubed and the sprockets and chain don't appear badly worn at all? I'm tempted to change my chain and sprockets to try and rule them out but it's a pricey way to go when they show little signs of wear. Any ideas/experience very welcome.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you checked your front sprocket retaining washer isnt worn away allowing the sprocket to slide back and forth on the splines of the output drive as you throttle up and down?

If it started to rub on the cover, or any other part close by it would give you this noise..

also check your cush hub is not flopping around due to a collapsed bearing - this will allow the chain to move side to side on throttle on off application.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pogoscott,

I'll double check the retaining washer but not sure what the Cush hub is to check it? When I checked the front sprocket it did feel to have play but I checked on line and a few posts implied it was normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cush drive is what the rear sprocket bolts to - give it a wiggle.

Take the cover off the front and look at the retainer if it's teeth aren't there or are jagged then that's probably the problem.

Send pics?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bearing on the output shaft.
Or would that be more of a rumble?
What mileage is on her?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Pray that the front sprocket has been put onto the output shaft the correct way round!!

If the front sprocket is back-to-front, the chain will never run straight, and being out of alignment will mean that it is riding on one side of the front sprocket and making the sprocket chew the splines up.

Check it!!

Good Luck

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I'm starting to worry now though!! I'll take it apart again tomorrow and take some pics. She's done 58k miles by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All gears I think although you notice it in higher gears as speed increases and engine noise is less and more constant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right gents. Cush drive seems good with no play. I've attached images of the front sprocket, output shaft and lock tab. All look ok to me but I'd appreciate your input. I will say that the sprocket fits on the splines very loosly and has a lot of movement if grabbed at nine and three o'clock and rocked like checking a wheel bearing. In engineering terms it feels like a sausage up a shirt sleeve!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
First of all, relax, the splines on the output shaft look OK!

Next, looking at the pic of the sprocket, the teeth look completely knackered on their sides. Also, I can see the outline of the locking plate on the flat face of the sprocket. It look suspiciously to me like that sprocket was on the wrong way round. Usually, there is a flange, and that should face outwards on aftermarket sprockets. I did a post about it ages ago, and will try and find it.

Either way, that front sprocket looks f&%cked to me, so I would certainly replace it if it was mine. Most people recommend a genuine Honda front sprocket (which has rubber dampening wheels moulded to its sides) and I usually use them, but I have also happily used aftermarket sprockets and found them not to be of any concern.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Check out the pics I put up in the following thread, so you can compare.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/29008-help-chain-sprocket-issues.html

If you find that you have been running the bike with the sprocket on the wrong way round, and looking at the wear on the teeth I suspect you have, I would definitely recommend replacing the sprockets and chain. If the sprocket has wear on the sides, the plates on the chain will have suffered too, and a chain breaking and locking the back wheel at speed could definitely be a very very nasty thing!

Be very thankful that the splines on the shaft have not suffered though; that would have been one huge expensive repair bill !!

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Bob. I can tell you for sure that based on your post the sprocket was on backwards. I've done around 4000 miles since buying the bike and can't find anything in the history saying when the sprocket was installed. Other than chain and sprocket wear is it likely to have caused more damage I should be worrying about??
Also I saw a kit on David Silver that was sprockets and chain as a kit. Is that what I should be looking for or would you recommend going to the dealer?

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Cheers Bob. I can tell you for sure that based on your post the sprocket was on backwards. I've done around 4000 miles since buying the bike and can't find anything in the history saying when the sprocket was installed. Other than chain and sprocket wear is it likely to have caused more damage I should be worrying about??
Also I saw a kit on David Silver that was sprockets and chain as a kit. Is that what I should be looking for or would you recommend going to the dealer?

Matt

Well I suppose it's lucky you have mechanically sympathetic hearing and decided to post a question rather than just keep riding :thumbup::

The chain might possibly be OK, but if it was me, I'd replace the chain and sprockets for peace of mind.

If you're mechanically competent and have a decent chain tool, replacing the chain and sprockets is relatively straightforward.

Spend as much as you can afford on the chain, and choose DID, Tsubaki or a good make and it will last.

Chain and sprocket kits will obviously not come with the favoured Honda original front sprocket, but you can buy separately. eBay kits can seem good value, but often the chains are cheap and don't last long.

Rugged Roads would most likely be able to sell you a kit made up of a good chain, OE front sprocket, and decent rear.

B&C Express are great, but most likely won't be able to sell you the OE front sprocket.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi....What a perfect looking set of output splines...very very lucky...that front sprockets had it...get a new pair complete set with chain...AND A NEW RETAINING WASHER AS WELL...sprockets been on the wrong way round for sure, or the back wheel has been miles out of alignment...which is possible...some idiot may have turned the sprocket over to get a bit of extra wear on the teeth without considering alignment problems.....lucky you heard it and investigated...the retainer washer is not a cheap thing..but don't dismiss it...about £ 15 quid extra...but they wear too, can lose the teeth, and the whole lot can hit your left boot when it comes through the cover...while trying to rip your leg off and locking up the back wheel at the same time....It will be a well spent £100 quid...could have been scary stuff...and don't forget to loctite the two retainer bolts....

·
Registered
19 Posts
So the noise will have been the chain out of alignment - lucky you caught that in time.

If you swapped it back around you would be ok until your new HONDA one turns up - and your chain is most likely fine until you can fit a new one too.

The splines look in tip top condition - honda sprocket will maintain this condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I spoke with Johnathan at Rugged Roads today. What a great bloke. Incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I've ordered new everything from him (including honda front sprocket and retainer) and also gone to a 43 tooth rear sprocket to improve the motorway legs and stop me looking for the 6th gear I know isn't there! He assures me that riveting the chain is easy enough and advised me to look on You Tube as to how to do it. Can't wait to get it rebuilt now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bit more advice please gents. How bad should the chain sliders be before I replace them? I can post some photos but could really do without spending the extra 70 quid just at the moment. I'm thinking they can be done easily at a later date once I've fitted the chain etc? Is that right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts