Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My baby is sick again. Im very un-tech savvy so this is my best attempt to write out its symptons. any advice or help would be greatly appreciated but dumb it down a bit for me if you dont mind.

The first 'issue' I didnt think much of - it seemed to be a bit harder to accelerate after 50 mph - it pulled a bit if that is correct termonology.

After 3 very hard days of driving (straight shot coming from Aqaba Jordan to Antalya, Turkey) I pulled into a gas station and filled up. The first stop light I came to after the gas station as I was down shifting I had a very loud backfire. As I continued on through Antalya the backfiring increased as I was using the engine to break. (BTW I have burned through all the gas that I got at the station and filled up again and the issue has presisted...I thoght maybe it was bad gas or something but I guess not...)

I checked my spark plugs and one seemed a bit dirty so I replaced it. This helped but only for about 5 miles and the same problem continued.

Next day I decided to continue on rather than wait for the end of the Eid (religious festival here in turkey) and weekend to get her looked at, and pressed on to Izmir. The ride was fine until the end - but I was very carful not to engine brake and as much as possible just kept it at an even 60 mph with about 4.5 rpms.

In neutral I hear the backfiring after reving it and then dropping the rpms below 3.

The bike got me all but 70 km away before really acting up. It began to jerk a bit as if loosing power and then gaining it again. I feel that perhaps a cylinder wasnt firing regularly. at times though only in acceleration I could hear the rough one sided firing (hard to describe but loud and scary).

I pressed on because I was so close and just mentally had to get to Izmir before total personal collapse. I made it into town but had a great deal of problems in traffic. Another issue (perhapse unrelated but probably not) is that my bike turns off if there if Im not giving it some gas or have the choke on. When it died 4 blocks from home I had trouble starting it again, but eventually managed. it made it one more block before it died and wouldnt start up. After letting it sit for a while, I was able to get her going again to get me the last 3 blocks.

Sorry for the long explination! Thanks for any insite you might be able to give!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Chokes sticking.

Take them out and remove the cable and clean it until it moves completely freely. There's a bit where it splits in tow, you can break it open there and fill it with WD40 or ACF50 and leave it to soak in.

Then it's just a case of wiggling and tugging and pushing until it frees itself.

Then put it all back again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like an interesting fault. Might be worth checking the fuel pump as a starter but it also sounds like you could be having an ignition fault. Might be time for some routine maintenance.

After checking the pump remove panels and tank and unplug all the connectors one at a time. Don't pull on the wires when doing this as they will unclip or separate in their own way. Inspect for corrosion, clean and reconnect with a squirt of WD40. Although there's no guarantee it's wise to do this on bike of this age.

Using a couple of the spare spark plugs you now have, disconnect just the side HT leads and push your old ones in. Rest against some metal work and check the sparks are good on both plugs whilst the engine is turning over on the starter switch.

If good take her for a ride and test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anywhere where I can fınd a maıntence manuel onlıne? I bought my bike used and didnt get out. I just want to be careful not to mess anything up as Im removing things and performing these fixes

Thanks!

(God only knows how I have made it this far ~25k miles without one!)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Is there anywhere where I can fınd a maıntence manuel onlıne?
There are but they are illegal so we cannot have links to them on this site.

You can buy the original Honda manuals off ebay for a few pounds and a Haines Manual is not much more expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Errrr, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but...

You mentioned about checking the spark plug... You do realise that an Africa Twin has FOUR sparkplugs don't you??? TWO per cylinder!

Your problem could be derived from many things considering your environment.

Bad Fuel

Blocked Air Filter

Overfilled engine oil blowing from the breather into the airbox

Sticking choke assembly

Carb Diaphragm

Air cut off valve

No spark on one or both plugs

Have you used your choke in the mornings? Possibly causing it to stick.

Have you ridden in a big downpour? This could soak both the front coils/plugs.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Two business class return flights and BobA and I will be over to fix it for you. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Check the fuel filter is not clogged as well as a visual inspection to ensure there are no kinks or squishes in the fuel lines to restrict the flow of go go juice etc. Also just a quick check of the rubber mountings for the carb to inlet and airbox would be time well spent, you do not need any air leaks!
Similar issue with bdirty fuel and a bad filter which let gunk into the jets and blocked everything up on the rear pot. Drain the carbs is always a fun thing as well but do remember to catch the fuel to look at for sediment and any residual dead roadkill you may have sucked in thru the air filter without noticing!
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Q: Have you checked your air filter? Could be clogged, easy to check and fix.

Q: Have you checked the Ground connection from the frame to the battery negative pole? This needs to be tight at both ends, or else you could end up with som strange and intermitent faults. Also easy to check and fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
you guys are awesome! Tomorrow ıs huge bıke maıntence day! Is I saıd Im a bıt of a tech moron...so ıts goıng to be my fırst for a lot of thıngs - but I know my carbs need cleanıng and checkıng.

Tıme to get my hands dırty! Are there any good tutorıals or ınstructıons for cleanıng them or checkıng fuel pump/fuel fılters?

And yes I dıd rıde through a downpour but the bıke seemed to work fıne the next day - ıt was 2 days after the raın that the problems started. And I checked the two plugs that were easy to get to - but dıdnt gake the radıator off to get at the others...yet

Agaın thanks so much!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Unless you absolutely have to, don't take the tops off the carbs.

Dismantle and disturb as little as possible.

If you are tempted to adjust anything, right down, photograph, or mark with paint a reference point, so you can put it back. Count the amount of turns on adjusters to fully closed, then back them out again.

I would leave alone unless you really have to.

Get some of the "Fuel system cleaner" that you add to the fuel in the tank if you can. Add it to a fairly empty tank of fuel (so it's less diluted) then run the engine for 10 minutes or so, letting it get into the float chamber and carbs etc. Turn off and leave overnight. Next day, take the bike for a good run, then top the tank and give it another good run.

If you damage the smallest spring, or float in a carb where you are, you're gonna be stuffed!

When you put the tank back on, check no fuel lines get pinched, and don't overtighten the rubber bellmouths between the airbox and carbs or THEY WILL definitely come off AFTER you've put everything back together!!

If it ain't broke... don't fix it !!

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check the bolts that hold the exhaust headers on as I found that was the cause of my backfire....good luck and hope you find the problem...:p

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similar problem which turned out to be the very common sticky choke cable (front ). The bike ran terribly with soot laden exhaust, repeated backfiring, stalling etc.
Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I took it into a shop. I posted this on the holy three (ADV rider, Honda Train bike Forum, and HUBB of course!) and got back some pretty varied responces so I just took it to a Honda service place with all the suggestions I had gotten.

They cleaned and scooped the airfilter, cleaned the carborator and re-adjusted the choke (I think it was sticking actually) and replaced all 4 spark plugs.

Something in that seemes to have done the job becuase its not acting up anymore. It sounds a bit different...a bit more punchie in the exhaust - but that is probably more the way it should be sounding than it has been. Im worried becuase it seemed too easy...but these bikes are tanks afterall haha. Thanks for all your suggestions! Keeps me on the road!
Its amazing how bad you can feel when your bike isnt working and how good you feel once your back on it riding smooth!

BUT BTW how do I check the fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Not much to check on the fuel pump really.

If the bikes running, it's OK.

If the bike stops, and you suspect the pump, you should hear it occasionally clicking. If you are unsure, and the bike still isn't working, you can prove it's the pump by topping the tank until it's full, and the bike will most likely run. If not, use a short section of tube, or a pukka joiner to bypass the fuel pump, joining the in & out pipes.

The fuel pump is only really needed once the fuel in the tank drops below the level of the carb float bowls, and gravity cant push the fuel up hill.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts