Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got home the other day, put bike away as normal, no problems, but next day...nothing. No lights, nada, dead. Getting in there with my multimeter, I diagnosed a knackered ignition barrel, swapped it for a new one from David Silver and the bike started first time, roared into life. Great. I put the tank back on, all the bits, ready to rock, but since then the bloody thing will NOT start. It turns over...and over...and over, but will not catch.

The battery is good, as is the starter relay, and it cranks over like a good 'un, but there is no spark, and no voltage at the Facet pump when cranking it (or any other time, come to that). Somebody give me a clue, please!

I replaced the R/R with a Mosfet one off an R1 (I think) a couple of years ago, at which time I checked most connections on the loom, none were corroded or crispy apart from the 3 yellows which I crimped straight through. They all seem to be the same now, nothing obviously hanging out or by a thread, or crispy. Earth connection to frame seems good, all the connectors under the tank are secure.
Am I looking at a replacement CDI? I'm about to try milling off the case of this one and re-soldering the contacts, but should I just pull the trigger and get another one if that brings no joy? It's bizarre that it fired up when I changed the ignition barrel, but wouldn't have it once I'd re-assembled it. It was running as ever, good as gold, before it croaked at home. Any ideas most welcome.

One week before I hoped to clear off on my hols on it. FFS...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the bike still crank over if the kill switch is dicky? Same with the sidestand kill switch - I thought it just wouldn't turn over if it is closed (circuit).-

·
Junior
455 Posts
Yeah it will turn over with kill switch, make sure you have spark, then fuel, then compression. Need all 3 to work

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have spark, then try hot wiring the facet direct to the battery to see if it pumps, then check for evidence of fuel in the carby whilst turning over. I know its a lot of messing around having the tank off whilst maintaining a fuel source when turning over, but its worth it to get the answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Facet works fine wired direct. No spark evident.
I'll take the kill switch apart and see if I can bypass it. Does it open or close a circuit in order to let engine run?
I'm a little confused about the Kill switch, I'm pretty sure that if the switch is activated at the handlebar, it won't even crank over, under normal circumstances.

Thanks to all who have contributed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts