Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm talking cars not bikes here, I've got a slight leak on what I'm thinking is a crank case oil seal.
I'm looking for the easiest (and def the cheapest) fix possible.
It's not a massive leak, more a weep that has collected over the months/years and gone unoticed by previous owner.
Instant gaskets seem to suggest can be applied to a less than clean surface whereas silicone seals what everthing nice and shiny.
If I have to get it superclean then I may as well cough up for a new 'proper' gasket.
The car was purchased to cover this inter-bike period, which I very much hope is drawing to a close, so not looking for a long term fix as will go back down to one car and one bike until the Autumn bad weather hits.
It's a crummy Fiat Bravo 1.4 on an S plate if that helps (and white to add insult to injury!)
Recommendations and advice most welcome.
Mods feel free to move it to 'chatter' but trying here first as has some natural cross-over.

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
Umm set fire to it on the hard shoulder of the M5 tonight

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts

Yup R.I.P. car... And I guess you can use a motorcycle then!!!

That's a win win situation! :thumbright:

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
Shack
seriously if it not that bad and you are not intending too keep it why worry , let us know when you have a bike again and we can see if Shonasdad will come out and we can go for a spin somewhere

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mervinh, Hopeful of an iminant Steamer, & will be up for a jolly then and no mistake. Only been without a bike for a month but feels a Lot longer.

Might not bother too much with sealant then, my mate might be interested anyway (as of half hour ago) so the hard shoulder might be safe for a while yet!

·
Registered
73 Posts
How about this stuff - Oyltite Stik | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

Quote : "Oyltite Stik stops leaks without rebuilding. This remarkable product will stop leaks at gasket flanges, joints, rivet holes etc. until the next rebuild. Simply rub the Oyltite Stik vigorously into the leak area until forced into cracks and it will dry to prevent petrol, oil and water leaks. Can also be used as a thread sealer on assembly work."

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
Well i was going to say Snake oil but if frost are selling the stuff there must be something in it i reckon,

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Now I'm talking cars not bikes here, I've got a slight leak on what I'm thinking is a crank case oil seal.
I'm looking for the easiest (and def the cheapest) fix possible.
It's not a massive leak, more a weep that has collected over the months/years and gone unoticed by previous owner.
Instant gaskets seem to suggest can be applied to a less than clean surface whereas silicone seals what everthing nice and shiny.
If I have to get it superclean then I may as well cough up for a new 'proper' gasket.
The car was purchased to cover this inter-bike period, which I very much hope is drawing to a close, so not looking for a long term fix as will go back down to one car and one bike until the Autumn bad weather hits.
It's a crummy Fiat Bravo 1.4 on an S plate if that helps (and white to add insult to injury!)
Recommendations and advice most welcome.
Mods feel free to move it to 'chatter' but trying here first as has some natural cross-over.
FORTE do an additive that you put in the engine oil and it seals up gaskets and leaky seals. The product from this firm are second to none can vouch for them well, i use the injectoer cleaner and top end cleaner in my truck every 6 months or so. If this is not the one you need check there website they will have one for you

Forté Lubricants

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I'll do a bit of reading up then. My mate is interested, and wasn't put off by the weeping area. Misses now saying maybe we should keep it as an occasional second- women hey, got to love em:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts