Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long does it take a dommy to heat its oil and its frame tank to say the same temp as a hot kettle ?

i just wanna check mines normal:thumbright:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Mine got to operating temperature (ie hot enough, 70 degrees or so) within say 10 km.

Took a bit longer (if it got there at all) during winter, obviously... ;-)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine got to operating temperature (ie hot enough, 70 degrees or so) within say 10 km.

Took a bit longer (if it got there at all) during winter, obviously... ;-)
i was running mine in my back garden yesterday on and off for about 10 minutes and noticed the oil tank was quite warm ...i could touch it but it was hot to the touch

i know on here some guys have said the dommy is quite a hothead im gonna run it up and down the street today (first time since rebuild) and see how she goes

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Typical fully warmed up oil temperature with mine is 100-110 degrees.

You might want to get one of those thermometer dipsticks, they give you a decent clue as to what's going on in the engine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You might want to get one of those thermometer dipsticks, they give you a decent clue as to what's going on in the engine.

ooow thats quite warm and certainly too hot to touch ...so im probably worried about nothing

its just this is my first air/oil cooled bike and also my first with the oil filter on the side so im not used to things being so warm as usually for me the oil is only in the engine and the filter is behind hot exhaust pipes so i cant touch it anyway

ill certainly get one of those temp dip sticks

:thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

I take it thats in farenheit if it's that hot in celcuis i would imagine you have a overheating problem, especially as most bikes run optimally around 70-80 degree's c

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Nope, thats celsius.

They do that, I think its the main reason the oil has generally got to be changed every 2000miles, it starts looking well used pretty soon after its put in.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Yep, celsius indeed. Typical running temp 100 degrees C, sometimes a bit more, and things start to get critical at 120. Yes. This is sub-optimal.

Have to admit though, mine has the big acerbis tank and that sits a lot closer around the head. Doesn't help with heat dissipation.

It's no wonder that oil coolers are a popular mod...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, celsius indeed. Typical running temp 100 degrees C, sometimes a bit more, and things start to get critical at 120. Yes. This is sub-optimal.

Have to admit though, mine has the big acerbis tank and that sits a lot closer around the head. Doesn't help with heat dissipation.

It's no wonder that oil coolers are a popular mod...

is that right ... changing oil every 2000 miles???

Crikey ???

oil coler here we come anyone know of an off the shelf kit that can be bought?

:blob:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts