Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed the oil in the dommie, and put in 2 litres worth as said in the manual of Silkolene Ride 10/40, so why does the level, having ridden around town a bit to warm it up, only come up to the bottom of the dipstick?
Plus bearing in mind that its had new valve seals and piston rings.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If its been fully drained after standing, it'll take a little more oil to fill up the oilways, the cam wells in the cylinder head etc after the initial fill. There's not much between low and high on the stick.
The manual gives normal service quantities, so 150cc+ extra should be expected.

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh that makes sense, its now topped up and will be monitored.

On another note, about 700miles ago I had a top end rebuild done on it and the bike became a bit of an oilaholic, replacing piston rings, valve stem seals and re-grinding the valves, and for about 600 miles the bike ran like a sewing machine.

Now it sounds fine on start up, then a minute or so later theres a knocking sound which to me sounds top end, which lasts a while and then once hot it disappears.
What the hells going on??? I'm loathe to spend more money on it only for something else to go less than 1000miles later.

Cheers

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D'oh, no ideas then? :(

Does anyone out there have any experience with a big-bore kit for the dommie at all?

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? How would that cause the knocking sound...in fact how do they work in the first place?

I've not got the big bore kit (yet), I was just thinking if the small ends gone or something like that, while the heads off and everything, why not get a big bore kit for the bike...just a passing thought at the time, and was wondering if anyone had a big bore kit and how it affected power, fuel consumption etc...

Cheers

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry chaps about bringing up an ancient thread, but i didnt really want to start another oil one as theres a fair few on here.

Quick question: If the oil level is just on the bottom of the dipstick,how much would be needed to get it to the upper level mark?

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts