Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I always buy this spray in pairs. One can should be enough as it covers well. I tend to limit number of base coats then keep applying thin coats of lacquer until desired effect is achieved ( 2 - 5 coats normally). My AT handlebars got the full 5 coats - keep them thin. Best allow 24 hours between base coast and lacquer (check the can instructions)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This engine cleaning is really a pain in the butt. I have no idea how you managed to get it so clean the paint would stick. I should have really sprayed the shit out of it with Surfex and pressure-washed the lot before taking it out. Surely it is water-tight, this is an adventure bike, people ride them in rivers! :)

I am toying with the idea of taking the side-cases and head covers off and painting those and leaving the block alone. Or just getting someone to soda-blast and paint it for me...

In other news, I realised that my oil cooler is also well past it. The PO added a guard after getting every fin mangled and gummed up with gunk. . I just ordered a second-hand one off ebay from Germany. Hate doing that, but they are not exactly easily available. Will see what turns up...

Also other forum members have used alternative engine coating so check out a few build threads - I recall one from Ireland being inspirational and good guide to getting engine in and out of frame.
I'm usually a world champ at finding info, but I don't seem to be able to find this Irish one. I do have a vague memory of someone doing a guide on getting the engine out and back in. I took mine out by taking the carbs off then taking the lot off the stand and putting on the floor [bits of wood] and manoeuvring the frame off the engine. Can't see that working too well when everything is freshly painted :) I really wish I didn't chuck those old inner-tubes as I was tidying the garage up for this re-build., Doh. :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Getting engine back in is not that tough, just manoeuver the frame around engine and not the other way. I then jacked up the frame with wood and secured rear with ties down to install fork and front wheel. From there on its easy. See photo

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dude, that is one shiny engine! I hate you. :)

Thanks. That is pretty much exactly what I did when parting the two. I just remember a few clunks happening...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, today I took care of an odd job ... position lights. This is what mine looked like :(

Finding these BA9S connectors on t'internet I found not so easy. I wanted to keep things original, so spent a bit of time searching. Luckily this guy had some.
Nice bloke to deal with too. Bit old-fashioned in the approach to e-commerce, but a really nice guy nevertheless.

A bit of soldering and some heat-shrink tubing and it is back to normal. I even added some fancy harness tape. :)

Now I need to find some BA9s bulbs/LEDs...

Well, it is a small job, but the resto is full of those. I thought I'd report on this one as it may come in useful to someone...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Morning
Just been checking on an old thread and saw that I've told you the wrong engine paint. It was NOT the Granville brand.
It was Simoniz Engine Enamel Aluminium Aerosol Car Spray Paint 500ml SIMVHT31D - plenty on Fleabay.
One can should suffice depending on engine condition. This paint doe not need a primer either but I'd recommend using Etch primer on the badly worn parts like generator and clutch covers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cool. Thanks TS. I think I found that post of yours too. That Granville paint must have been a really old can. It is nowhere to be found on t'Internet.
I will get some of that engine paint, then. The engine block paint is in a worse stare than I originally thought. Also looking for "general purpose black" ... something to paint the bottom of triple clamps and an odd bracket or two... Any recommendations?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hammerite Black smooth is pretty good but not the easiest to apply. Think I used etch primer, acrylic gloss black base coat then lots of lacquer on the triple clamps.
Almost all (maybe everything else) other black parts were powdercoated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks again mate. Apart from the triple clamps I realised that the headlight black frames and back of reflectors will also need a bit of tidy up with black spray, so Hammerite seems a bit "too thick" for that. That's why I was looking for a durable but a bit thinner paint... like what was on there before the rust :) .

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So.. did a bit more on the bike over the last few days... Spent hours and hours geting gunk off the engine and cleaning corrosion off. I rubbed down with steel wool and scotch pads and then sanded the worst bits down with 1200 wet and dry and took ages degreasing and cleaning with brake cleaner and acetone.

Then, maybe stupidly, used the etch primer on it as it was mainly bare aluminium. Having done a bit of research, engines don't really get very hot, 90-100C or so, so it should be ok. Flattened the primer down with 2000 wet&dry and then Sprayed with VHT paint (Yea, I know. But that is the paint I had.) and it actually looks pretty good. I decided to do the head covers separately and masked them off with some tinfoil. But (even after getting the engine covers sandblasted, I decided to do the ones on the engine anyway.) I am pretty pleased with that and I think will just leave them on. I am taking the spare set of engine bolts to the platers with the other bolts, so will swap them around eventually when I get them back.

The most annoying job ended up being taking that effin' alternator cover plug out. I wanted to do this as it wasn't the best and really wanted it out to do the valves when I get the headcovers off to paint them. Man, it was a pain. Why on earth do they seize that badly? Too fine a thread, probably.

Did a bit more over the last week, re-sprayed the headlight reflector backs, tidied up the oil-cooler and pipes, yokes, etc... I got that Simoniz acrylic paint, but a website called Zoro I never bought anything from has them at 6 cans for the price of 2 cans so couldn't resist. That is actually pretty decent paint, but 6 looks like it is going to be 5 too many... :) It covers really well.

Well, more VHT and then VHT lacquer tomorrow, hopefully. This weather is pretty good for it. Will have to figure out how to do a bit of engine bottom side, but I left the sprocket/water-pump area alone. It was always greasy and not really corroded. Original paint is fine.I am making a good use of the EazyRizer stand. It was awesome for pulling the bike apart and it is also a decent engine stand. :) Actually much better for this kind of a job than a ramp, IMHO. Not for regular maintenance though.

Onwards and upwards... :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yes that plug is a pain on most of the Honda's i have, nip them up gently but need a 6ft pole on the end of the Allen key to undo them LOL I found the best way is to put the Allen key in hold pressure on it in the unscrewing direction and give the Allen key a hard hit with a mallet, i don't bother trying to undo them without doing that first. Engine looks good by the way (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Fred. It really did not want to go. And that is exactly what I tried doing :) Trying to shock it to budge. I even tried impact driver. The Allen key eventually chewed the plug, so I had to mangle it badly and eventually got it to turn after drilling a hole and attacking it with a drift and hammer. Will have to buy another one, but that's what I kinda expected anyway. Wonder if there is some anti-seize that can be put on there to help... Copper grease?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Is this a good time to say: "I've no idea where any of this goes!" ? :)

That's the bits and bobs cleaned and plated. I soaked everything in vinegar and cleaned the worst bits prior to handing over to plating guys. I think they look pretty good. Some are a wee bit pitted but nothing that is unusable. I also took the opportunity to add some spares in there too. That's why there are multiple axles and bits. That was probably a stupid idea as it will be even harder to figure them out now, but hey-ho. It will take me days to figure out where things go...

I went for clear passivate on everything. There is only so much one can do with an old bike, so I kept it simple. The plating guy only told me they do olive drab after I put everything in vinegar so it was too late by then too.

Hours of fun coming up... :(

21 - 35 of 35 Posts