Honda XRV Forum banner

another reason to do spot checks before you ride!!!!!!

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Chad 
#1 ·
i wasout riding the other day quite happily sweeping through a left hander when i clipped a small but deep pot hole . an ass clenching moment when lent right over but the BM just shrugged it off no probs 8) 8) 8)

pulled over had a quick look at the front but all seemed well. when i got up this morning for my early sunday ride . i did the usaul gave the bike a once over and found this on the front tyre :shock: :shock:

now this is the first time ive ever seen this on a bike tyre :twisted:

so now it time for new tyres :roll: shame really they had a good bit of life in them but the rear is squared off a bit .

hmm what to get shall i stay with the tourances or try out somthing like the pirrelli scorpions :D

any of you had this sort of thing with a bike tyre before :?:

See less See more
#3 ·
chronyx said:
Is that just from the pothole? :shock:
im pretty sure i hit it at about 60mph and my ass went tighter than a cows ass at fly time :shock: :shock: :shock:

i went back to have a look and it was about 4-6in wide by aprox 12-14 long i just wish i had me bloody camera at the time :roll:

i'll say this about the GS it seems it can plough its way through hairy situations no probs and the bulge didnt seem to upset it to much , im going to try and get into a universal tyres today to get some new ones fitted :D

#4 ·
Where abouts. Could be worth a getting a claim form from the local highway authority. Unless it was in a 20mph zone of course!!!!!

#5 ·
YEN_POWELL said:
Where abouts. Could be worth a getting a claim form from the local highway authority. Unless it was in a 20mph zone of course!!!!!
it was down it kent and to be quite honest i would have to ride there again just to try and find it :oops: as i was on one of my follow my nose rideouts where i could end up anywhere 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

#7 ·
peterb said:
Sound advice about a once over prior to a ride , i never do but i know i should, how long does it take to save your life ?

not more than a couple of minutes and well worth the time :D

#8 ·
I've often wondered about the amout of weight on these heavy weight bruisers, Vara included, on thin walled tyres. It looks like the shock has burst the nylon in the side wall. Certainly a danger to ride.

Well spotted mate, I'm like everyone else, good intentions but usually just jump on and go. I'll be checking mine today! My old CB750 has a tyre issue at the moment, I'm too afraid to ride it as the original Avon roadrunners are perished. They've done well for 26 yrs! Wear on the rear but the front's like new, 12,000 miles. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up though Chad, a reminder like this could in fact save somebodies neck. We've had a couple of bad ones up here this weekend, one serious in hospital and a fatality. It's hard enough out there without self inflicted accidents caused through lack of attention.

#9 ·
chad send it back to the company that made it and ask them to take a look at it - just in case its a manufacturering fault. unlikely i know but you never know they may even replace it free for you. i know how tight you steelfixers are! :D

#10 ·
sean said:
chad send it back to the company that made it and ask them to take a look at it - just in case its a manufacturering fault. unlikely i know but you never know they may even replace it free for you. i know how tight you steelfixers are! :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i a vergeneerouse fucki9stahrdtotytpewheyorpissed :mrgreen:

#11 ·
Chad

Had a blow out at 80 on the M6 in a company car because of one of these, get it changed now :eek: :shock: , it's effectively a tyre hernia and is caused by the sidewall cross belting giving up, probably caused by a sharp edge on the pot hole.
Worth reporting if you can give the Highways peeps an approx location, don't know about Kent but Staffs and some others have a priority on road repairs considered dangerous to bikes, if it did this to your Panzer, just think what it could do to a kid on a 125!!!

#12 ·
tyre bulge

Yeah, well spotted Chad. It's that big, you're probably lucky you didn't trip over it!

Jokes aside, my brother has been travelling around with a similar bulge in his car tyre, until last weekend. It blew on a roundabout under pressure of turning and put him through a lamp. So, go very steady riding it even to the tyre garage.

TA! Shel

#13 ·
i managed to get marmite into universal tyres yesterday for the ride in ride out service it works out a bit more but the sevice was exellent and they took great care of the bike and in the way they worked :D :D :D :D

the fitter said it would take a fair impact to do that to the tyre and he was supprised that the sidewall held up :shock:

when he got the tyre off he then showed me a 4in split on the inside :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i took a photo of it on the phone and sent it to maveric i'll ask him to post it up :D

at the mo im feeling a very lucky boy :D :D :D 8)

#17 ·
Maverick said:
Chad said:
i took a photo of it on the phone and sent it to maveric i'll ask him to post it up :D

at the mo im feeling a very lucky boy :D :D :D 8)

Yep that could of ended pretty nasty dude!
thanks for that mate :D

its very sobering isnt it :shock: :shock:

#19 ·
icenian said:
Chad said:
tighter than a cows ass
hmmm, you may be the only one here who knows how tight a cow's ass is, Chad :shock:

(sorry mate but you get 40 days of this in penance for going to the dark side :wink: )
yup all those evenings watching all creatures great and small :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#21 ·
Maverick said:
oI What you doing at home already...get back to work :mrgreen:
good init :mrgreen: went like the clappers today to finish early cos im taking mrs chad up to the west end for a show :D :D :D

#23 ·
Maverick said:
Chad said:
good init :mrgreen: went like the clappers today to finish early cos im taking mrs chad up to the west end for a show :D :D :D
Nice one, you gonna be paying for that bike for a long time still :mrgreen::mrgreen:
very true :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.