Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having a Scottoiler fitted to both of my bikes, I, along with others, occasionally get trouble with them either not working because the end feed pipe has become blocked, it has fallen off or been snagged when reinstalling the rear wheel.

The twin injector seems to be much more prone any to the above but is great when working ok, as the whole chain gets oiled evenly.

I have been experimenting for some time with having 1 drip feeding centrally on the chain, away from the rear wheel.

This is the solution I have come up with, it works extremely well, covering the width of the chain with oil (unlike the single feed on the rear sprocket).

Both my bikes now have this, it's quick, simple & gets rid of the pipework & tiewraps from under the swingarm.

I know it's been done before in this location with a neat custom made alloy bracket but thought fellow bodgers might like an alternative solution :rolleyes:

Workshop rag in place for clarity.

Simply drill a small hole through the raised part of the chain wear strip in front of the swingarm, using a small tiewrap, adjust & secure the black feed tube securely so that oil drips centrally on the chain when the bike is vertical.

Simples :thumbright:

Phil

·
where next?
508 Posts
I really like this idea for neatness but it's a very gunky area. Do you normally have the sprocket cover in place? If so, how do you monitor the flow rate?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like this idea for neatness but it's a very gunky area. Do you normally have the sprocket cover in place? If so, how do you monitor the flow rate?

The sprocket cover is always in place, you can see the end of the pipe in the gap between the rear of the cover & the frame (650 Alp). Although I adjust flow to keep the chain wet rather that crawling about on the floor counting drops/minute.

Phil

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great place this for ideas, I was going to make a bracket come spring for putting my Scottoiler by the front sprocket. Did this mod today on my 'Alp, took 20 mins tops and all the crappy pipework is gone, oil drops into the middle of the chain rollers just fine. Cheers Phil for a top mod :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Caution on the 700!

This is how my dealer dome mine form new---- thing is, it sprays onto the exhaust condenser box (or whatever its called, big thing where the centre stand bolts on), then it burns when you stop! Also goes all over the centre stand and the rear wheel!!!!!

Obviously if you have the flow turned down its less of an issue but then you have less oil on your chain and still an issue, just smaller.

Hence the drip onto the sprocket F/R.

Scotoiler also say dripping onto a chain isnt effective, or at least not as effective as onto the sprocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scotoiler also say dripping onto a chain isnt effective, or at least not as effective as onto the sprocket.
When Scottoilers first came out (I'm old enough to remember that) their instructions had the oil feed dripping onto the inside of the chain just in front of the rear sprocket. It needed a bit of fiddling to get it in the right place but it worked well. Look at the back sprocket, you're only gonna get oil half the time on the chain, it will miss the chain completely at the top of the tooth, look closely, the chain is nowhere near the sprocket. The rear sprocket method relies on centrifugal force, dripping directly onto the chain gets 100% where it should. I've done this method to my last 4 bikes and never put a chain/sprocket on them in umpty thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I know what your saying Mike and had just that system installed by my dealer until I chatted with the Scotoiler guy at the Excel show last year and he told me that they had told all dealers not to do this but to feed onto a sprocket only!
I asked about the 'getting to one side of the chain' issue and he told be that the chains used on bikes like the alp, where light enough to allow the oil to come off the sprocket, onto the rollers on one side and then pass to the other side through the pin covers, thus feeding both sides of the link from within which is what you're after.
Dripping onto a chain means having to use excess oil to penetrate the links from the outside in. Hence messy rear rims etc.
All sounds true to me.
I also asked about the twin injector kit but he told me it was more for bikes with very heavy duty chains, like Blades, Busa's, Vfr and other large engine race/touring bikes. Obviously some touring/adventure bikes may use chains like this.....not sure myself, someone else might confirm this.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I know what your saying Mike and had just that system installed by my dealer until I chatted with the Scotoiler guy at the Excel show last year and he told me that they had told all dealers not to do this but to feed onto a sprocket only!
I asked about the 'getting to one side of the chain' issue and he told be that the chains used on bikes like the alp, where light enough to allow the oil to come off the sprocket, onto the rollers on one side and then pass to the other side through the pin covers, thus feeding both sides of the link from within which is what you're after.
Dripping onto a chain means having to use excess oil to penetrate the links from the outside in. Hence messy rear rims etc.
All sounds true to me.
I also asked about the twin injector kit but he told me it was more for bikes with very heavy duty chains, like Blades, Busa's, Vfr and other large engine race/touring bikes. Obviously some touring/adventure bikes may use chains like this.....not sure myself, someone else might confirm this.
I had a twin injecter on my Varadero's scottoiler i took it off as it oiled everything apart from my chain

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Playing Devil's advocate here, but if that mod drips onto thje top of the chain, ie the outside, won't centrifugal force fling mosy of it off before it can spread to the interior of the links?

I have tended towards dripping onto the chain either on the sprocket or just before it, as the centrifugal force then works for you rather than against, by flinging the oil into and through the chain components.

Sorry, if I have misinterpreted the images.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Playing Devil's advocate here, but if that mod drips onto thje top of the chain, ie the outside, won't centrifugal force fling mosy of it off before it can spread to the interior of the links?

I have tended towards dripping onto the chain either on the sprocket or just before it, as the centrifugal force then works for you rather than against, by flinging the oil into and through the chain components.

Sorry, if I have misinterpreted the images.
Mine, and the ones in the mod pic drip onto the lower run of the chain so centrifugal force forces the oil outwards, where it can penetrate between the rollers and the pins on the chain and go to both sides. The only difference with mine is that the black pipe is longer and angled backwards. All I know, like I said, 4 bikes, this method and no chain replacements. In fact, I can't even recall having to adjust them either. Pays yer money I guess.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Mine, and the ones in the mod pic drip onto the lower run of the chain so centrifugal force forces the oil outwards, where it can penetrate between the rollers and the pins on the chain and go to both sides. The only difference with mine is that the black pipe is longer and angled backwards. All I know, like I said, 4 bikes, this method and no chain replacements. In fact, I can't even recall having to adjust them either. Pays yer money I guess.
I changed the chain and sprockets on my Vara last month first time in 10years and thats with standard scottoiler again it hadn't stretched but the roller were ****ed and the front sprocket had 3 teeth left:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update;
I've now run with this mod for quite a while & all is great.

The chain is nicely moist all over without spattering all over the back of the bike :rolleyes:
Although it does seem to drop a bit more just behind the front sprocket.

Phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
HI all

I've been following these 'upgrades' and like the idea of the drip on as the chain exits the front sprocket.

What would be the recommended distance from the chain to the tip of dispensing tube?

I tracked down some 3mm copper tube and shoved about 50mm of it up the delivery tube and cable tied it to the vertical bit of the frame. It is then bent to drip the oil over the chain. So far it works ok and doesn't interfere with the chain where it feeds towards the front sprocket. I will put up a couple of pics over the weekend if i get the chance.

Comments welcome.

Thanks
Graeme

1 - 13 of 13 Posts