Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bore you guys with this but I would appreciate your input.

I have aquired a 52 plate, September 2002, AT 750 with 60,000 miles on the clock and a buggered output shaft.
I have read most of the threads regarding this topic and seen the posts and pictures of the Spendler sprocket and the KK sprocket as well as the various welding and doubling up posts.
Looking at this......................................

Would any of them, apart from the full weld work on this one? Sorry it's a bit blurry - camera seems to have focused on the oil filter!

I'll try again with the photos if needs must.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Bit difficult to be certain from that photo, but it looks beyond any solution that uses the splines. I'm surprised the sprocket didn't slip round on that shaft. Any chance of a better pic?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would make a plan to strip engine down and sort but if you dont want to do that I would weld either sprocket you mentioned it would be good for 20000miles all being well and a bit of luck. Let the forum know what you decide. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bit difficult to be certain from that photo, but it looks beyond any solution that uses the splines. I'm surprised the sprocket didn't slip round on that shaft. Any chance of a better pic?

I'll get some more piccies ........................... yes the sprocket did turn on the shaft - the PO had to have it recovered......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would make a plan to strip engine down and sort but if you dont want to do that I would weld either sprocket you mentioned it would be good for 20000miles all being well and a bit of luck. Let the forum know what you decide. Good luck

Reluctant to weld as I don't think I will be keeping it. I have too many bikes already......... and the sale price would be severely effected when I showed the new owner a welded on sprocket.......... and the cost of a strip and rebuild might do away with the sale price...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So its either sell cheap with welded sprocket or sell cheap knowing it wants a output shaft. No easy option as you are not keeping it. Its not a cheap job either with full gasket set etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So its either sell cheap with welded sprocket or sell cheap knowing it wants a output shaft. No easy option as you are not keeping it. Its not a cheap job either with full gasket set etc.

You may be right there, selling it as it is.....................

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, I was aware, the PO could not afford to do anything with it and left it as part payment on a large bill he had at my brothers workshop or other things.

Here is another photo..............

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will get some general photos and perhaps this forum could help with suggested sale prices for the bike.........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think there is enough spline left for that type of sprocket to grip and the slot that the clamp of the KK sprocket goes into is also practically gone.
I am thinking of a variation on the Stefter sprocket.

I am thinking of having a second sprocket cut down to below the teeth of the first sprocket, welded to the first sprocket then ground down to the full width of the shaft.
This will give me a sprocket with the base and splines the full width of the output shaft.
With the already extended base of a JT sprocket it will also allow for 6xM6 grub screws to be installed into the sprocket located to sit into the bottom of the output shaft splines enabling a tight lock against the shaft and spreading the load more than just the 3 points of the Stefter model.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Considering how far gone the output shaft is, I suggest biting the bullet and splitting the case to fit a new shaft. Or buy an engine with good shaft and swap it ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are other output shafts that should fit, I was having difficulty finding one for my RD03, I managed to find a Honda Bros gearbox with very little wear that I shall be fitting soon, just need some time to pull the engine out, mine has only done 6400Km and a previous owner stripped the shaft splines and tack welded it on!

Should be fitting it at the end of the month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went through this excercise when I bought a RD07 with a welded on front sprocket (welding was carefully removed with a Dremmel tool - can imagine how long and how many little grinding bits that took). I had a sprocket machined to go either side of driving sprocket as spacers and to grip onto the last of what was left of the splines. I then bolted the three together with high tensile bolts, through the holes meant for the retaining plates. I had a 8mm reverse thread hole machined into the centre of the shaft, so a bolt and washer could hold the whole lot on the shaft.
When fitting the whole lot I inserted pieces of thin wire to take up the gaps and used a special gap filling Loctite.
This was all based on a fix I found on the net

After all this it was never tested, I did it because I couldn't get an output shaft, and once it was all done, I came across a good output shaft from a wrecked bike, and did a complete engine rebuild.
In retrospect I should have just left the spot welding in place, and when it came time to change the front sprocket teased the weld loose and welded it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part of my dilemma is that as I want to sell this bike on, how much would welding or "fixing" a non-standard sprocket affect the price?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
at a guess...

2002, 60,000 miles...

if the bike is in good condition, full MOT, i would think it would sell for around £2,200

with a welded output shaft, I would think about £1,400?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here are the other photos I promised...........................

The seat has been re-built, re-covered and only used twice.
Heated grips are less than a 6 months old.
Scott oiler.
Good tyres.
Are the rims aftermarket?
Full set of Nonfango hard luggage.
Crash bars.
Aftermarket exhaust - not sure of brand but it is "E" marked and with hole to fit a baffle.
Runs really sweet.

I am off to the continent on my BMW RT just before Easter for 2 weeks and I also need to see my engineer buddy to make a version of a replacement front sprocket with extra width base with 6 fixing screws digging into the chewed shaft.

But if you have any interest in this drop me a PM (or post up here) so I know who to contact if the hoped for remedy doesn't work out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fitted a KK sprocket to my RD04 - compared to that mine had hardly any wear at all. You could get a KK sprocket off eBay and weld the end on as it's much wider and would be easier too get true.

yes, I was aware, the PO could not afford to do anything with it and left it as part payment on a large bill he had at my brothers workshop or other things.

Here is another photo..............

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi wouldn't go down the grub screw biting into the counter shaft route, similar to Steifer sprocket I trashed a reasonable shaft with some wear using a Steifer sprocket the shaft is relatively brittle probably because of the case harding and it fractures, see photo and my previous post about output shaft about 6 months ago
I'm still trying to sort mine out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts