Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using GT85 on all 3 of my bikes, just wonder if anyone can recommand something else and possibly better than GT 85

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
I use Scottoiler FS365 on the metal bits and WD40 on the 'lectrics.

I'm hearing good things about the ACF stuff , might give that a go on spokes and things this winter

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I bought some of the Scottoil stuff - FS365? and am pretty unimpressed, it seems too thin and watery to me, on the bike I have just purchased, the previous owner used ACF50, this seems excellent stuff, leaving an oily film.

I also mix a bit of waxoyl with WD40 to make is stay liquid rather than drying and it seems to work well.

Phil

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been using a silicon spray instead of WD40 type fluids. Found it to be quite effective and it seems a bit more 'sticky' and long lasting than other stuff.

·
8th Dimension Adventurer
161 Posts
I've only heard good things about ACF50, so I ordered a couple of cans from M&P (2 can pack for £20 - 1 can is normally £13). It does seem a good deal stickier than the likes of FS365, but we'll see how it copes with a typical Winter by the sea, down here in Sunny PZ. :cool:

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
I've used ACF50 for the past couple of years - give the @ a very liberal coating at the end of the summer and don't use the pressure washer!!

Come the spring when the @ will get another strip down and thorough clean, everything is still rust free :p :p

The Scottoiler FS365 is supposed to be as good but I'm happy with the ACF50 - and as the saying goes - 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it'.......so I'm sticking with the ACF50.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I'm going to move this to bike tech so it may get a better viewing.

stands back and waits for the insults

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
I've used ACF50 for the past couple of years - give the @ a very liberal coating at the end of the summer and don't use the pressure washer!! ... snip
And in case it hasn't been said, wash with cold water in the winter to limit melting and dissolving salt, etc and running it into all the cracks and crevices. :angel12:

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Paint ACF50 on the spokes with paint brush to keep these nice ;)

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I've used Pro-care anti rust for years now on my dirt and road bikes. About £15 for 5 litre can or £5 for 1 litre. You can get it in most MX shops or online. Normally degrease my discs afterwards!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have been using GT85 on all 3 of my bikes, just wonder if anyone can recommand something else and possibly better than GT 85
I use ACF50 , it's bloody expensive abour £15 for a large aerosol can but design specifically for airframes so protecting your varadero's aluminium engine covers is a piece of piss for this stuff my 99 model is used al weathers and still looks show room condition. directions say spray on a cloth and wipe over i just lag the bike then let it run off.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I am with Jenna on being careful with that ACF50 stuff. I used some last winter spraying it liberally all over and especially around the swinging arm and rear wheel. Surprise surprise about 2 weeks later the chain, with less than 6K on it, goes all knackered with grease oozing out of every link. I reckon the ACF50 ate the seals.:angry4:

I going to try the PUshandydrinker route this year with some dilute Waxoyl painted everywhere.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
I will see if i can find the report that i read that was done by the USAF that found the problem with ACF50 and rubber, its frightening reading when your talking about multi-million $ jet aircraft being screwed up 'cos of a $7 tin of spay..... I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole just for piece of mind reasons, if you must use it KEEP IT WELL AWAY FROM THE RUBBER!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ACF-50 is pricey but well worth it.
dont waste it by spraying it all over the place, spray it on a brush and put it exactly where needed

·
Registered
204 Posts
I sprayed some ACF 50 on a old inner tube about 3 months ago and it looks completely unaffected. Even when stretched it shows no signs of perishing. I have also used ACF 50 on rubber seals for two years with no obvious signs of damage.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
I sprayed some ACF 50 on a old inner tube about 3 months ago and it looks completely unaffected. Even when stretched it shows no signs of perishing. I have also used ACF 50 on rubber seals for two years with no obvious signs of damage.
depends on the type of rubber... USAF strictly prohibit its use on natural rubber, and i cant see the USAF being jumpy about spraying cack on multi million dollar aircraft coz they got nothing better to do... there is a printed warning some where on the suff about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts