Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning my air compressor mislaid itself so I decided to go to the local Shell fuel station and use their compressor. In fairness to them it was free, but also didn't fit and was out of order. No problem I thought, I'll go to Morrisons and use theirs. Alas, they wanted me to cross their palms with silver before they would give me some air, oh well, I gave the machine 10p. As my paltry 60 seconds of machine use was running out I was wrestling with the darn connector on the end of the hose. IT WILL NOT FIT!!! Honestly I doubt the person who designed it has ever seen a motorcycle wheel in his life. Why is it that shape!? About a foot long with big bits of rubber and metal all over the thing! And the connector!!! Why, yes, WHY does it not have a connector at 90 degrees?! It has one at about 150 degrees which means that getting it on a motorcycles back tyre would involve removing the brake disc and caliper!?

So in the end I was left with LESS air in my rear tyre than before and 30p of my hard earned cash in Morrisons stupid machine.

As I was riding home, with 12psi in my back tyre, I thought that I would try BP's fuel station. Once I had transversed the ice rink that was the entrance (ironically the low pressure in the tyres meant it gripped quite well), I found to my amazement that they have the exact same connector on their compressor! All 3 fuel stations in Glenrothes have the same set-up!

So aswell as wanting us to remove helmets before giving them our money, we can't use their air either. :mad:

Yours Mr.Grumpy :)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
It's a common problem getting an airline onto a motorcycle valve in the confines of wheels and brake disks.

I, and many other XRV'ers have one of these RIGHT ANGLED ADAPTERS

I leave mine on the back valve, although I've been told I shouldn't!!

Bob :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
It's a common problem i always carry a 90 degress adaptor in my toolbag

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
It's a common problem getting an airline onto a motorcycle valve in the confines of wheels and brake disks.

Snap...

Although i carry mine in my jacket pocket not on the valve.

I bought one after a not so dissimilar experience :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks guys that's a good idea, but we shouldn't have to do that. Can you imagine if car drivers had to do a similar thing, they would change the design in no time atall.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
No problem to leave it in your tyre BobA, it never leaves the garage:D

12 psi gpzdave.. you should've ridden over the cars like kickstart. At least at 12 psi, you'd've had more rubber to the floor, surely that's safer:rolleyes:

Surey it would make sense for all garages to have a short hose attached, but they are probably thinking of keeping car driver's hands clean; as per normal form over function!

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Thanks guys that's a good idea, but we shouldn't have to do that. Can you imagine if car drivers had to do a similar thing, they would change the design in no time atall.
Being a biker i agree, but, think of it from the garages point of view. How many bikes per car pass through? They aren't going to spend what would be a LOT of money to change every nozzle when 95% of people feeding the machine money are happy car users.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Surey it would make sense for all garages to have a short hose attached, but they are probably thinking of keeping car driver's hands clean; as per normal form over function!
They are made for tyre shops and workshops not specificaly made for garage forecourts so they have to fit trucks and double wheels.

I noticed last time I was over that forecourts were asking for payment on air:blob6: no way I'll pay. I wont take my lid off either, Flip front but some still get the nark then you turn round and there's a jedi in black face mask waiting in the queue

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Sorry, Snaphappy, off thread, I noticed you are in Warendorf, I noticed there's a small place just North east called Einen!!!!
'A'!!!!!
That's as bad as Eu in France pronounced 'u'!!!

Hello, where do you live? 'A':rolleyes:

Oh, and I've stopped using a local Tesco as they wanted me to take my Flip up off.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I assume theose valve adaptors spin on to the thread ok and dont catch on the spokes?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I too have a 90 degree adaptor, only solution and self preservation. Regarding crash helmets, and running the risk of being accused of racism, some religious groups have enveloping head gear but I'm not aware of that having to be removed. Having said that, I choose to remove my helmet whether full face or open face. It's just something I do. However I do enjoy the annominity when riding in the full face. Getting back to the valve thingy surely it's best to remove it because it would put the wheel out of balance.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I absolutely refuse to remove my helmet at a petrol station to refill my bike, I just get back on and ride out.

I guess riding out just makes them think "oh another one without money that was gonna ride off without paying" but to be honest, I just can't be ar$ed arguing with them, so take my money elsewhere. I'm sure they don't give a monkeys about the profit they would have lost on a motorcycle refilling.

Hey ho!

Oh and P.S. Windmill Bloke, you're right, I'm a wuss, I haven't ridden for well over a month!!

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Rode to work this morning, A27 Lewes, Hove.. ish. Foggy and wet, still saw two cars without lights on!
Aww, you've got to love them though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I use my Local shell station as it allows pay at pump. I have Three Electric Tyre pumps at home and check my tyres before I take the bike out.
Two pumps are included in the Booster packs and one I am changing the plug to fit the socket of the BMW.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I find standing on the pipe and bending it to a shape that fits bikes a social duty
Thats what i used to do all the garages local to me are finding the end of their pumps staying alot straighter now they charge 50p a go i'm not tight its just that not so long ago air was free now i use a foot pump its cheap and easy:thumbright:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i never use those things for my bike so i dont know if they fit or not, but every fuel station one i can remember using on the car has the odd angled fitting.
the core went in my varaderos front wheel once, the guy at ATS replaced it and pumped the tyre up for me for nowt. they obviously had something that fitted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
there are two main types of tyre inflator used on petrol stations, one with a gauge on the gun (quite rare now) and the digital type where you set the pressure on the box. unfortunately both types use much the same connector.
the amount of cars using air machines does indeed far out weigh motorcycles. probably because bikers cannot get them bl**dy connectors to fit.
years ago air was supplied free at petrol stations as most of them were running a compressor in the workshop associated with the garage (bob will remember when this was normal) and so the only real cost to the petrol station was the gun. now petrol stations supply a nice little box with a compressor built in, a coin mechanism and a very acurate electronic pressure setting gadget. the are quite expensive to run mainly due to the cash being stollen regularly, vandalism and bikers jumping all over the fecking hoses trying to make them fit where they are not designed to:D:D.

i did hear a quite poss customer complain about having to pay for air "the good lord gave us the air free of charge" to which the reply came "correct madame but he did not compress it so you can inflate your tyres".:hitler::hitler:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts