Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i am a new biker and also new to maintenance
i followed haynes and managed to change oil, oil and air filter, and spark plugs
had to remove fairing and fuel tank of course
now i am on my way to putting it back together and managed to put the fuel tank on and it starts up!!!! no leaks

but

i did struggle to fit those hoses back in again. is there a way to make the job a bit easier???
thanks

07 XL650V

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do it again :) Really. Each time, it gets easier :)

Only thing I found that helps a bit is a decent sized pair of longnose pliers to hold the tops of hoses whilst putting the air filter box, tank, etc. back in place. My hands are a bit large and those hoses fairly short.

·
Registered
189 Posts
''i did struggle to fit those hoses back in again. is there a way to make the job a bit easier???
thanks''

As above
:) it gets easier with practice and if you have hands my size you're going to struggle! Main thing you need is patience :) but its all worth it in the end because of the long service interval and the reliability that the transalp gives you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, thought there wasn't an easy shortcut but worth a try!

Very helpful forum and learning a lot from it!

I have yet to put the fairing, cockpit trim panel and the windshield. To avoid any surprises, do you agree that I should put the fairing first, followed by cockpit trim panel, and then windshield (in that order)? Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Forgot to say I use a smear of silicone grease inside the hose ends it aids fitting and helps stop them seizing on over time so aids removal.

If I remember rightly I put the fairing on then the lower trim bits then the cockpit trim it aided fitting those lower side trims and then screen last.

You will need patience with it at least I did
:) just don't go breaking it!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Reverse the way you took it off ;-)

I was surpised at the process needing to take the screen off to access the air filter. Along the way I needed to replace the hotch-potch of fittings and clips etc. the PO had bodged to keep the fairing, inner panels & clock surround all together.

And some silicone grease on where the plastic fairing panels push into the tank mounts halp prevent knobs snapping off *eeeek*.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I ran into a problem and need your expert help!

I cannot put the fairing back on.
I have been struggling with it for two hours.
I am very close but so far... managed to get the front two "pegs" in place the ones just in front of the cockpit panel, but something seems to be stuck. All I can think of is those rubber covers on each side on the inside of the fairing hitting the radiator but when I try to open the fairing sides a bit farther I seem to hear a lot of squeaking... not sure what the limit is...

I have tried with the headlight/signals attached and unattached...

Could someone have any pointers please to what I am doing wrong and some photos/or videos will be very helpful?

Wicky - do you mean those rectangular black things? :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
From the Haynes manual

https://cl.ly/331A0H2d2Q0F/download/Haynes%20Manual_Honda_XL600_650V_Transalp-OCR.pdf

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-XL600...id=1493490992&sr=8-1&keywords=transalp+haynes

Cockpit trim panel

1 Remove the top windshield screw on each side (see below). Unscrew the lower fairing bolt on each side (see illustration).

2 Release and withdraw the trim clip on each side securing the trim panel to the fairing inner panels (see illustration).

3 Undo the two screws on each side, noting which fits where (see illustration). Carefully pull the fairing away from the tank on each side to release the pegs from the grommets (see illustration). Remove the panel, noting how it fits (see illustration).

4 Installation is the reverse of removal. The self tapping screws fit in the upper holes, and the normal screws in the lower holes (see illustration 5.3a).

Fairing

5 Remove the windshield, the cockpit trim panel, and the stone guard (see below and above).

6 Either disconnect the turn signal wiring connectors, or release each bulbholder from the turn signals by twisting them anticlockwise (see illustration).

7 Unscrew the two bolts on the top (see illustration) and the bolt on each side at the bottom (see illustration 5.1).

8 Draw the fairing forwards, noting how the lugs locate in the grommets in the bracket, then disconnect the headlight and sidelight wiring connectors as they become accessible (see illustrations).

9 Installation is the reverse of removal.

Windshield

10 Undo the screws securing the windshield to the fairing and remove the washers and rubber collars (see illustration). Carefully lift the windshield out, noting how its tabs on the bottom at the front locate (see illustration).

11 Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure it locates properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link Wicky, I have been following the Haynes (hardcopy). I am failing to align the two pegs with the grommets on the sides of the fuel tank. I probbaly need to force my way in a bit further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts