Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a new TA soon, probably in May. Anybody bought new recently? Any idea how far in advance I would need to place an order at my local dealer?

Also, I see they currently offer heated grips and top box, but only until 31 March, this being their 'winter offer', any ideas what might be offered in April? Not sure if anyone has been following their deals over the years?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I'm going to buy a new TA soon, probably in May. Anybody bought new recently? Any idea how far in advance I would need to place an order at my local dealer?

Also, I see they currently offer heated grips and top box, but only until 31 March, this being their 'winter offer', any ideas what might be offered in April? Not sure if anyone has been following their deals over the years?

Might be worth going to see a dealer now we've just changed registrations so dealers may be getting rid of 59 plate demonstrator bikes

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be worth going to see a dealer now we've just changed registrations so dealers may be getting rid of 59 plate demonstrator bikes
Thanks, but going to go for brand new 10 plate. Had an ex-demo VFR and always felt it was 'used'...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks, but going to go for brand new 10 plate. Had an ex-demo VFR and always felt it was 'used'...
does it really make that much difference

·
Registered
116 Posts
To me, yes. Anyway, back to the question, lead time and offers :)
You may not want to hear this but the best time to buy an Alp or any new bike is in the winter months for the simple reason that trade is much worse then so incentives are offered frequently in the form of discounts or accessories and dealers are generally more open to bargaining. And similarly the worst time is the spring-summer period when demand is much stronger so there is less need to provide incentives to buyers.

I've bought many new bikes over the years but learned to time it in the Autumn-Winter period for this very reason, the advantage gained is often quite substantial in prices and/or accessory deals. The Alp deal you mentioned is valued at a few hundred quid and so well worth having.

If this expires at the end of March it is unlikely to be extended unless they have trouble selling Alps already in stock. But you can't know that in advance and your dealer is most unlikely to tell you now of deals after March because he wants to sell now. Best idea in my opinion would be to bring forward your purchase by a couple months if possible to fall within March and thus be certain of the deal rather than chance it or something equally valuable still being available after.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair point, but I not able to buy now as in Spain and a bit short of cash, need another couple of pay days :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but the offer will expire at the end of March, and they probably won't do other ones, other than maybe certain finance deals.

Honda do seem to have done the 'winter' offer for the last couple of years though - free top box and heated grips, although it's down to the individual dealers. For my own part I took the heated grips and 'traded' the top box (which I wasn't particularly bothered about ) for the low seat option and centre stand, which probably saved the dealer a few quid and gave me more what I wanted.

On the plus side, you could always wait until next year as they'll probably do it again!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought a new 'Alp in 2005 and the offer at the time was free heated hand grips, topbox & touring screen or pannier set, there might have been a 3rd option but can not remember. I have noticed winter deals in following years but it seems now just 1 option is offered this year heated hand grips and topbox.

·
Stop looking at my Member
266 Posts
Bought mine last April as a 'Used' bike which had two miles on the clock. The reason being that on April 1 last year Honda put the price up by 20 odd %.

I was told that Honda insists that all bikes which had the free bits fitted had to be registered on 31 march.

As already mentioned here it is only in Winter that these deals tend to be around though as there's a recession still on I wouldn't bet on any previous form. Got mine from Mike at Bransons in Yeovil and he gave me an awesome deal, its worth looking for such a bike.

You still get a 10 plate !

·
Registered
19 Posts
May be a tedious answer this but I work in a Japanese commercial bank and it is well known that the bike manufacturers have a major inventory problem. When car demand collapsed last year and GM etc went bankrupt the industry was rescued by incentive plans in each country (in the UK £2,000 trade in discount) but for the bike industry nothing - and inventory build up much worse for motorbikes as they are a luxury item and so saw far bigger sales drop. Some reports now say Suzuki, Honda etc have up the 12 months stock of some models in warehouses (usual is 8-12 weeks) and to get rid of this they must offer good discounts going forward.

On the downside however one pound now buys you Y136, but in August was as high as Y164. In other words a bike that costs Y1,000,000 to make in Japan in August would sell for £6,097+ but at today's exchange rate Y7,353.

The conclusion is that although Japanese bike makers have to give good discount to shift inventory they can't because of the currency. If they can't cut prices and can't put them up either - maybe no change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You've probably missed the boat on the best deal for this year. The top box/heated grips package will be funded by Honda and won't come out of the dealer's margins. You should still be able to haggle someething from them as prices are a lot higher than they were 15months ago so they should have some room for manoeuvre. If you aren't interested in a pre-reg bike which would have all the bits, it might pay to wait until autumn......but that's a season lost! Or you can always fit a much cheaper box and the dealer might throw in the heated grips, centre stand......let us know if you haggle a package.

·
Registered
181 Posts
does it really make that much difference
It did to me...............buying an ex-demo that is as I saved a fortune :thumbright:

My '09 TA had less than 500 miles on it when I first set eyes on her/him/it and it was advertised on thier website for £5,500 as an ex-demo.

I went to see it, it was spotless. I rode, it and it was excellent. Then I asked for a couple of extras; centre stand and heated grips...............

Then I closed the deal for..........£5,180 otr (well with 4 months road tax left anyway).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the downside however one pound now buys you Y136, but in August was as high as Y164. In other words a bike that costs Y1,000,000 to make in Japan in August would sell for £6,097+ but at today's exchange rate Y7,353.

The conclusion is that although Japanese bike makers have to give good discount to shift inventory they can't because of the currency. If they can't cut prices and can't put them up either - maybe no change.
But, the Transalp is made in the Eurozone, which the pound hasn't suffered so badly against, but still your point is valid.

I have been phoning around, it does seem likely Honda will be putting prices up across the range next week...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, finished my research today, many Honda's will be going up, but maybe not all. Not confirmed that Top Box offer will finish, it may continue (Honda set aside a number of boxes for deal, there may still be enough to continue).

Anyway, ended up going for a used '09 as wasn't able to pull a great deal on a new one, will be getting a Top Box with it :)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Ok, finished my research today, many Honda's will be going up, but maybe not all. Not confirmed that Top Box offer will finish, it may continue (Honda set aside a number of boxes for deal, there may still be enough to continue).

Anyway, ended up going for a used '09 as wasn't able to pull a great deal on a new one, will be getting a Top Box with it :)
So getting a brand new one really didn't matter to you after all then:p:p 3rd post said it did:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts