Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live roughly midway (as the crow flies) between California and Boston. Forty miles away is New York. I am sure Britain has dozens of places that share a name with a more well-known place abroad.

Without even consulting a map I can think of Dunkirk in Kent and Wellington up north.

I have no doubt someone could come up with a list of a few dozen places and string a route between them.

Could work, perhaps?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
There's a Washington on the South Downs as well as up north.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops, it was Washington I meant instead of Wellington. Hopefully no-one will notice.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Melbourne (the original one) just south of Derby.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,300 Posts
surely a lot of these places are the originals that settlers in other countries named there new settlements after???
Launceston, Cornwall and Tasmania , etc

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
surely a lot of these places are the originals that settlers in other countries named there new settlements after???
Launceston, Cornwall and Tasmania , etc
Indeed. Reminds me of the words of a John Prine song:

By a fountain back in Rome I fell in love with you
In a small cafe in Athens You said you loved me too
And it was April in Paris when I first held you close to me
Rome, Georgia, Athens, Texas And Paris, Tennessee

But of course in many instances the new settlement has overtaken its namesake in terms of size and familiarity, e.g. Boston, Mass. is probably (surely?) better known the world over than Boston, Lincs. Other E. Midlands cities with US counterparts that spring to mind are Newark, NJ (or Notts) and Lincoln, Nebraska (or Lincs.).

Down on the South coast, of course there is Dover, Kent, matched with Dover, Delaware. :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Can't remember exactly where now but I'm sure I've driven through Botany Bay somewhere in the east midlands Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
You are right Ian, its in the southern most part of Derbyshire. I once got sent on to a job there, control were laughing when I asked for confirmation of the location.

·
Stone Crazy
5,300 Posts
this kind of thing does cause confusion, lorry drivers from nottingham ending up in St Ives Cornwall instead of Cambridgeshire, (and that was in the 80,s before motorways, many a driver has fallen foul of these things , In cluding my mate Bill who when he first moved to devon drove a JCB 30 miles too Jacobstowe, Not realizing there was another Jacobstowe he was meant to be at 5 miles from the depot

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Moscow (near Kilmarnock and Russia);
Waterloo (London, Southampton and Belgium);
Perth (Scotland and Australia);
Richmond (upon-Thames and Virginia);
Kingston (upon-Thames, upon-Hull and Jamaica);
London (England and Ontario);
Birmingham (W Mids and Alabammy);
Rochester (Kent and NY);
Stamford (Lincolnshire and Connecticut);

and so on ad infinitum!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There's a California on the Norfolk coast. Not quite as well known as the other one.

If you travel round in Tasmania, most of the names are familiar, but in the wrong order. Glasgow next to Launceston, it messes with you head!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Do make sure your route goes through:

• Cardiff (South Wales and -By-The-Sea, California).
  • Pontypool (South Wales and Ontario).
  • Newport (South Wales and Kentucky, Oregon and Rhode Island).
  • Wales (UK and half way between New Berlin and Waterloo in Wisconsin, also north of Portland and Falmouth in Maine, and near Shrewsbury, Worcester and Leicester in Massachusetts, plus the famous one in Alaska).
I know, I'm cheating! Only the Alaskan Wales might be considered well-known because it has an international airport. However, if you call up a map of New England there is scarcely a British town that doesn't appear!

·
Stone Crazy
5,300 Posts
I think really we have dragged this off Jacques idea , having read the first post again he was suggesting a ride between the places for charity
merv

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
hollywood ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, south birmingham ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, never heard of another cheslyn hay , where i live , unless someone knows different ????

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
im sure between you and whealie a route could be sorted:D when are you coming over with the big cat so we can give her some tender lovin care:D

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Soon, Chad, soon. Just waiting for a free weekend to coincide with some half-decent weather. Hopefully before next Spring!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
HTML:
Boston north east of Peterborough....
bozzocks.....I should have read the first post better.....flipping wap.......;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts