Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
yep Paris -Dakar, yesterday i managed to get to chat with a few people at Goodwood and a few interesting deals done, one that i think may well interest a few people in here!

For most the Dakar is a dream, the cost is a budget not many can handle, its also not exactly for the faint hearted as it requires the stamina of a top athlete and the determination of elephant.

Well there is now an alternative, the Raid 'Heroes Legend' run by ex-Dakar vet Hubert Auriol is now in its 3rd year and has grown year on year, but most importantly in 2008 the event is open to any road legal vehicle unlike in the past years with it locked to one or two manufactures.

Unlike the Lisbon-Dakar this event is not about big business sponsors and corporate machinery, its geared up to give individuals the chance to run the original Paris-Dakar course but at an affordable cost.

Prices are a fraction of the ASO Lisbon-Dakar but they haven't skimped on safety, the event will run all the usual medical helicopter's, GPS tracking and safety marshals so even the first timer is going to be OK.

More info is available via the web:
http://www.heroeslegend.com/

Not going to say too much as i honestly don't have all the info yet, but there is likely to be a UK team in 2008 and its going to be headed up by a prominent Dakar rider. If you want more details, want to join the uk team, want event info, or your just curious then please PM me.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I don't want to get my hopes up but what are we realistically talking about in terms of cost to enter and cost of the necessary modifications?
My bike could enter the classic (pre-1995). You would seem the person to talk to about necessary mods too.
Do we need to find a team and a sponsor or do we just sign up as individuals. What about support on the way down, is that something you are planning to do Jenna?
And what about other preparation? It is clear from Charlie's Boorman's experience that anyone considering this would need to do a lot of practice and fitness preparation beforehand.

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the whole buzz of this event is about working in teams and they have geared it up encourage group entries...

last info i have would put a 2 bike team with the event assistance package at £5k per person, this includes:

etrack rental, its the tracking/gps unit used buy the event.
freight transport, ferry from Spain to Morocco and freight back to france from Dakar.
all legal/customs fees.
transport of spares (just over 0.5m3) +2 wheels on course from start to finish.

best deal i ever saw on a dakar for similar was £21k.

Bike mods are really upto you as its an 'open' event, obviously the better equipped the bike the more chance of getting to the finish. In past years stock bikes have finished but i would personally suggest a few basic upgrades to suspension and tyres.. eg WP/Olin's and Michelin 'Dakar' or 'Baja' tyres (anyone looking for these tyres contact me as i think i have a UK supplier selling at £160 for front and rear!)...

If your feeling brave (and run in a team of 2+) you can lop of £750 of the entry and organise your own assistance but for solo's its compulsory.

Plans on which events we will run vehicles on is all a bit err...'sketchy' still as everything is still being built/tested/ and tweaked. possibly be running 2 range rovers and 2 tatra trucks in 2009 but no ideal for next year yet.

oh and you save an additional £300 if your in the classic class.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Cheers Jenna,
With the necessary mods, some training, a bucket-load of spares and the entry fee, plus the flight back, extra insurances and what not, plus some spending money cos this is a month away from work, you're still realistically talking £20,000 for a team of two.
So, if I can find a sponsor, anyone on a pre-1995 bike fancy it. Chad, will the toxic shitter be ready by then?

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its hard to give a top end budget as only a few costs are actually fixed. on top entry of the entry fee you need to pay for fuel and accom, any assistance you add (eg mech's time if bought in) and delivery and collection of the bike to Paris.

From the conversation i had yesterday any bike/car or truck in a well maintained condition should finish, great care has been taken to make the course interesting but not at the expense of destroying the vehicles, the deep sand sections of the Dakar have been removed and route shifted to make it more amateur friendly. To give you some idea, a 25 year old XT with next to no mods was one of the stars of last year!!

I guess i should also point out the the B2B will also run from London next year, its much more a 'fun' run and doesn't have the raid style organisation, but then again entry fees are in the hundreds not thousands!...

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Cheers Jenna,
With the necessary mods, some training, a bucket-load of spares and the entry fee, plus the flight back, extra insurances and what not, plus some spending money cos this is a month away from work, you're still realistically talking £20,000 for a team of two.
So, if I can find a sponsor, anyone on a pre-1995 bike fancy it. Chad, will the toxic shitter be ready by then?
only if my numbers come up this week:D

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Very Tempting, but id have to sell the wife and kid ! been looking into the Tuareg Rallye as well, which also seems a cheaper and and easier option than the Dakar.

Think i will start off with some uk events next year first tho to see how the bike handles off road.

Yeah - also i dont know what the B2B run is ??????????????????

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
In a unanimous display of ignorance, I don't know what the B2B run is either.

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry B2B is the Budapest to Bamako rally.

http://www.budapestbamako.org/en/

The Tuareg as Anton suggests is another option, its well run ( by on old friend from the Transylvania trophy) and an excellent first step into raid, down side is its no where as long or has the facilities as the 'Heroes Legend' so i guess it should be cheaper.

If you want another option consider any of the Baja Raids around Europe and north Africa, these are a week end to end with 4 days on course.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
I could seriously want to play in this ballpark!

Jenna, can you give an idea of the speeds that will need to be maintained to stay in the event, and how tricky the hard sections will be. If theres much dune/rock bashing to be done aren't little bikes the way to go? (For "play-riders" like myself anyway:) )

I've been researching the B2B, and it has a charity angle that could (?) be used to get leave of absence from various works, although it feels a little too close to Banger Rallies to be a serious option. Is that true?

I still recon a very good place to start will be the UK rallies, I see some stars really going, and realise what a long way I have to go to get "good":( .

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't honestly know a great deal about this event as its new to us, we only became involved through a friend at goodwood last weekend and were not looking at any serious involvement ( up to 8 vehicles) until 2009.

What i will do is contact the guy who is setting up a team for 2008/9 (and will be the UK event rep) and ask if he can 'lend' me his research/blurb.
From the conversation the raid is competitive however its as competitive as you want to make it unlike the Dakar!. He was keen to make it clear that this was not the Dakar and was a plausible raid for any newbie on a decent bike with a roadbook and the rented GPSr unit (even said my s10 would could be a front runner :shock: ) as the monster sand stages were short and the deep stuff bypassed where possible. from what i can find out most the entry is lardy arse beamers with more fancy electronics than the space shuttle so reliability cant be a massive factor in getting to the end!!

OK, B2B... b2b is going through a bit of a turmoil at the mo as its changing its format quite a bit. In the past its been anything goes and that has brought out the 'wacky racers' element with half the entry in vehicles that just arnt up to it.
We are actually a UK agent for the event and if time was on our side was going to do it last year but it just never happened as were getting busy with other projects. Hopefully and i say Hopefully with a few if's and buts! 2008 should be a lot better organised, the London start better publicised and a more 'serious' entry.. but.. (yes another one!), 2008 entry i think is now full.

Over the last 3 years raids have started to really flourish thanks to the better media coverage and the increase in peoples liking of the adventure bikes on offer. What raid you do i guess depends first on your budget, then your ability and lastly the sort of event that you want, either social or competitive. B2B is by far a more social event than most, but HL I am sure will be very competitive during stages.

The only advice i can offer on participating is you stand a way better chance of finishing as a group than an individual, you also have many advantages as group with logistics eg. 10 individuals need 10 sets of spares a group of 10 can cut that by half and still be effective, plus a group could run a chase car (old disco preped cheaply would do), this would negate the need for an assistance package (but incur the extra entry fee!), lastly keep it simple use parts that can be repaired easy or sourced locally if needs must!.. last year on Dakar several teams never finished because they opted for state of the art and not bomb proof!!!!

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
This damn thread has really affected my sleep, social life and responsibilities from when I first read it.:mad: I'm well up for entering as a team for the event however, I can sort out a bike but entering would be subject to the entry fees being covered by sponsorships. For this I have no great skill to offer or know any one in the know to get sponsorship but I am very exited that there are doable events for jo blogs to enter in.

Jenna, since there is virtually no media coverage on the event, what else would one have to offer based upon the event to a potential sponsor or, what would you suggest?

Can any one else offer any advice when looking for & pitching to a potensial sponsor.

PS: BMW GSA for sale.........:crybaby:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
This damn thread has really affected my sleep, social life and responsibilities from when I first read it.:mad: I'm well up for entering as a team for the event however, I can sort out a bike but entering would be subject to the entry fees being covered by sponsorships. For this I have no great skill to offer or know any one in the know to get sponsorship but I am very exited that there are doable events for jo blogs to enter in.

Jenna, since there is virtually no media coverage on the event, what else would one have to offer based upon the event to a potential sponsor or, what would you suggest?

Can any one else offer any advice when looking for & pitching to a potensial sponsor.

PS: BMW GSA for sale.........:crybaby:
Yeah me too !!:( :( The KTM dream might go on hold and the cash ( that isn't there yet) could be used to prep a wee bike and have a go.

OH NO!! this is bad bad bad - I'm a silly old fool with a dream - it's bad bad bad.

But imagine being able to say "well the year I did the Paris - Dakar....BLAH..." I could bore the tits affa folks for years and years:D

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
AND !!! The XRV DAKAR TEAM - how cool does that sound.

OH ON THIS IS BAD BAD BAD and getting worse !!!

G

·
I would love to do it but know there isn't a chance unless my wife gets a knock on the head! There are a few things i would love to do during my life and this will be added to the list. So many things are just held back by a bit of money.

Tell you guys what, if my numbers come up i will pay for the whole XRV DAKAR TEAM.:D

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
before everyone goes mad and decides that they want to conquer the world you need to really pick an event and stick to it, personally i would suggest that as the majority would have little or no experience in this sort of terrain and under this sort of stress you should consider an easier event than the Hero's Legend first.... remember its better to finish an easy event than crash out of a hard one every time!!!!!

entries for the main events normally fill up as far as 9 months ahead, so again i would suggest maybe doing a few baja events first, this will give the basics of navigation, using a roadbook and getting used to the b~#locks that is event red tape. what about sorting something out with Breeze to do the Baja Italia in march next year first (free interpreter is alway handy ;) ) and then somthing more ambitious later in the year.

on a more practical level you need to get nailed down who is serious and who is just a dreamer ( making people put their hands in their pockets first is always a great way of sorting them out fast :p ).. no point in setting up a team with 10 members when only 3 actually turn up as often happens when nobody has any 'vested' interest.

Sponsorship currently is actually not to bad, however don't expect somebody else to foot the whole bill, unless your peterhansel that don't happen to even the best of the riders on higher profile events (ask **** Extance, Patsy Quick etc)... if you get things organised i will be happy to help as much as i can but no promises.

We can also offer some help/advice with bike prep, with kitting out with radio gear/ uhf trackers/ and GPSr units and so on. Depending on which events we can also provide Range Rover back up vehicles and 1 or 2 Tatra 8x8 support trucks. Dont think you would have to many problems finding paying passengers for these vehicles to offset the hire cost (which i'm happy to let out at cost if they are not being used already).

so:
1- choose the event(s)
2- set your dates.
3- set up a fund (all banks will allow a treasures account to be set up at no cost)
4- each person buy in to the fund (eg £1000)
5- set out a media plan, what the team can offer sponsors, eg publicity, hospitality, development testing, filming rights, product placement, etc etc etc
6- prep, thats rider and the bikes!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts