Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the heat shield is missing off my transalp . the bolts snaped in the nuts on the back heat shield as I was takeing of the exaust to repair it . a couple of weeks ago while out rideing with my 9 year old boy we stoped at a tree to collect some conkers ( his mothers idea men out spinning around on bikes have no intrest in conkers . he got bored quickly and went back to the bike where he proceded to flick ever switch on the controls even zeroing the trip meter .

in the process he put his knee aginst the down pipe burning a hole in in new hein Gerick textile trousers . thank god he had them on or he would got a right burn . they have heavy knee pads that saved them . so now I need to find a piece of material so my good lady can to patch them up for him and get them looking like new agin . I have tried googleing it but came up with nothing maybe someone has done a repair or can help me find it please . thanks a lot :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Speak top your local Gericke branch. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
the heat shield is missing off my transalp . the bolts snaped in the nuts on the back heat shield as I was takeing of the exaust to repair it . a couple of weeks ago while out rideing with my 9 year old boy we stoped at a tree to collect some conkers ( his mothers idea men out spinning around on bikes have no intrest in conkers . he got bored quickly and went back to the bike where he proceded to flick ever switch on the controls even zeroing the trip meter .

in the process he put his knee aginst the down pipe burning a hole in in new hein Gerick textile trousers . thank god he had them on or he would got a right burn . they have heavy knee pads that saved them . so now I need to find a piece of material so my good lady can to patch them up for him and get them looking like new agin . I have tried googleing it but came up with nothing maybe someone has done a repair or can help me find it please . thanks a lot :thumbleft:
Don't know how professional repair you want but these people have a good reputation

GORE-TEX Repairs by LSR

The bad new i wanted a new pair soles put on my old Salomon Hiking boots so i rang them and they quoted £70 i think. in the end i just bought a new pair of boot with birthday money

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I bought brand new HG stuff and it was rubbish so I took it back, got my money back and sent the old, much better, HG stuff to LSR and had them repair it at a fraction of the cost. Very happy. They do full Gore-tex repairs.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks lads my good lady is a qualified seamstress and has even fitted a zip in a richa textile jacket for someone I know . it was perfect like a factory job . I will e mail hein gerrick . the trousers was second hand but you couldn't tell it like new £20 on e bay a hunter jacket as new £26 wind motorcross boots £27 goldtop gloves £7 and a brand new black hjc full face £60 . I didn't have as good gear myself until I was 42 lol cant beat the old e bay . im well chuffed having him along for the ride its the most fun I ever had on a bike . we have a good laugh when we stop for a break its great for bonding next summer I plan on takeing him camping in the country side camp fire and all and cooking up a bit of grub well frying up stuff that you can eat un cooked and a bit of fishing and all . I cant wait im a big child myself and I love all that kind of stuff . I never got do any thing like that when I was a child you can have a happy child hood at any age . I will buy him a yamaha pw 80 or the likes something Japanese anyway in a year or 2 . it will be a blast .

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I burnt a hole in my HG textile trousers too, what I did is buy an iron on textile repair patch similar to this: Convertible Car Hood REPAIR PATCHES. Iron on waterproof. | eBay
I ironed it on and then in a belt and braces stylee sewn it on as well, I'm by no means a dab hand with a needle and thread but even though I say it myself it's quite neat...
photo(2).jpg
the patch is oblong by the way, it just looks distorted for some reason. I reckon the stuff in the link above will be better than what I used, much tougher than the clothing patch that I used.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I replace my jacket or trousers, about once every 5 or 6 years, I keep the old kit in the loft and cut it up for patches.

I always wear a hole in my right knee where I kneel down to put my locks on, and left thigh, which catches the exhaust when I lean over the bike to remove the SatNav.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the heat shield back on I used a small angle grinder to flatten off the bits of bolt left sticking out of the heat shield nuts . I then put a nut the same size on a bolt and caught it with a vise grip . with the arch welder turned down real low and light guage welding rods I offered them up and blazed them on . it sits a little bit higher only the width of a nut but its much better than with out and safer with children about .

while I was at it I welded a 3inch square of 3 mm plate to the end of the side stand keeping the extra material to the out side and to the front ( just enough for a weld on the rear of the stand ) as the stand sits on it . I done that so it stays clear of the swinging arm and looks better when the stand is folded up . I haven't even got a chance to test it on soft ground yet but I know it will work . it looks tidy and it would still be grand with a 4 in sqare plate I felt 3 was enough for me as I can see myself in the desert on it :thumb:

still haven't patched the trousers yet .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts