Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or ones to avoid and why ?
I know lots of people come unstuck cos of the vast reams of T&C's that are a a pain to read through and even more difficult to understand fully.
Also changing bike fees etc . what else to watch out for? would it be better to insure each one separately?
someone recommended ebike but they don't seem very competitive pricewise and I've heard that there are various stipulations hidden away that might surprise some like no MOT then you're not insured for theft etc ( even if it's resting up in the garage unused for the winter )

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Ask all the questions you can think of before you take out the policy write the answers down and either get them to write to you or put it all in a letter or email to them. Also think about what changes might be coming up in the year of the policy and ask about those too - change of bike, address or whatever.

Multi bike is nearly always cheaper than 2 policies but ask as they may offer introductory discount and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I'm with Ebike - I have 4 bikes including a modified Hayabusa with race exhausts, each year the premium comes down as I get additional no claims. I have had 1 non fault accident where I was knocked off and ebike were very good dealing with the claim, they will allow modifications without any problems (so far). You can change your details online including changing bikes and the best bit is that there are no charges! - the best bit is that they were less than half what Carole Nash wanted WITHOUT any modifications.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mm ..when I quoted with ebike it seemed expensive . also a friend and long time biker was with them and despite no claims/offences his premium seems to go up each year.heard others moan about various other aspects of their policies.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I think the MOT detail may be a misunderstanding. There is now a rule that all bikes must be insured even if not used and on SORN.

If you are the only rider then a multibike policy will normally make a lot of sense. The cheapest quote you get is likely to cover less, have higher excesses, more restrictions, dispute claims and take longer to settle.

Say what you want and see what people offer.

I currently have a multibike policy with Bikesure because Carole Nash could not offer the cover I needed. There are some serious restrictions but I know what they are and it is my job to comply with them.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
There is now a rule that all bikes must be insured even if not used and on SORN.
That's bloody mental!

I thought that you had to have one or the other- a bike either insured or SORNed. I didn't realise that now just owning a bike means you must have it insured. So, even if you have it in boxes in the garage on SORN that you now have to insure it as well? Which bloody thieving expense fiddling weasel of a politician [email protected] thought up that little gem then? They deserve a good kick in the nuts for that one.

Kitped won't be happy about that...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure whealies got that wrong and is referring ,as mentioned ,to the fact that even if your bike is taxed and Mot'd and not used ( eg put in the garage over winter )you either have to have insurance or put it on SORN . being a fairly new rule I'm not sure the authorities are clamping down on people yet ( I for one bought a taxed and Mot'd bike 8 months ago which is still in the garage and currently not been insured by myself ..and I've heard nothing) Also ..from what I've read they'll send a warning letter out first ..unlike the situation when you don't re tax the bike after the old disc expires and suddenly receive a fine !

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
That's bloody mental!

I thought that you had to have one or the other- a bike either insured or SORNed. I didn't realise that now just owning a bike means you must have it insured. So, even if you have it in boxes in the garage on SORN that you now have to insure it as well? Which bloody thieving expense fiddling weasel of a politician [email protected] thought up that little gem then? They deserve a good kick in the nuts for that one.

Kitped won't be happy about that...
Don't sit on the fence Alan - say what you really mean !!

Totally agree with you mate - I know of others with 10s of bike but none on the road - if this gets to be a reality that will be a real pain in the a*se

Reactions: East Coast

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You have to insure the bike or SORN it. So if its still taxed butnot insured SORN. If it is still insured but not taxed SORN. Or if neither SORN. Its easy enough to do on line and when you re tax or re insure you dont have to notify anyone, you just use it.
Dont leave it not sorned, when you try and tax or insure it you will wake the monster and it will remove cash from your pocket.
I had one hell of a battle when I bought a cat C or D insurance car. You have to repair it then have a vehicle check before you get the log book back. Without the log book you have no way to register it in your name therefore I could not declare it SORNed. When I triggerd the monster by selling it on the DVLA wanted to fine me for not sorning it. We spent ages going round in circles before the reality clicked with them. They are that pig headedly arrogant that they doent even consider that they are wrong through there own incompetence.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sorry rushed - not explaining clearly and therefore wrong. The new rules are called continuous insurance. If you are not riding it and not insuring it you must now SORN it (before you could just leave it in the garage for a few months). You cannot tax a bike without a valid MOT, but if your MOT has run out, you are allowed by law to ride the bike to a booked MOT appointment, for example, and your insurance will be valid. Similarly, if your tax runs out or perhaps you have paid for it but the tax disc has not arrived (technically the vehicle must display a tax disc) your insurance is still valid.

The idea is to keep more bikes insured to avoid the problem on people riding with no insurance. Taking a bike on and off SORN is just an administrative headache. No problems if you have everything planned in advance but impossible to do quickly and easily (I've had problems with SORN and taxing a bike twice recently).

I am suspicious the new rules are scam to get more insurance money, but, on the other hand, I always paid for my unused bike to be insured even when it was in bits on the garage floor. If the garage had burned down, it would have been covered.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Back to the thread.....

I have been with Devitt for quite a few years now, they seem pretty good, no problem adding extra bikes (got 4 on there now
) but costs £25 admin.....
They are one of the few that don't load the premium for the modified/none standard Transrat - some insurers are rediculous when you change a bike from standard.

As with anything, ask for advice, listen to advice then find what's best for you.

Phil

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Sorry rushed - not explaining clearly and therefore wrong. The new rules are called continuous insurance. If you are not riding it and not insuring it you must now SORN it (before you could just leave it in the garage for a few months). You cannot tax a bike without a valid MOT, but if your MOT has run out, you are allowed by law to ride the bike to a booked MOT appointment, for example, and your insurance will be valid. Similarly, if your tax runs out or perhaps you have paid for it but the tax disc has not arrived (technically the vehicle must display a tax disc) your insurance is still valid.

The idea is to keep more bikes insured to avoid the problem on people riding with no insurance. Taking a bike on and off SORN is just an administrative headache. No problems if you have everything planned in advance but impossible to do quickly and easily (I've had problems with SORN and taxing a bike twice recently).

I am suspicious the new rules are scam to get more insurance money, but, on the other hand, I always paid for my unused bike to be insured even when it was in bits on the garage floor. If the garage had burned down, it would have been covered.
So let me get this right, here is a well made up example:

My bike insurance runs out at the end of July 2012
My tax runs out in at the end of December 2012

I ride my bike on the road legally until the insurance runs out (end of July).

Due to holiday commitments i decide not to re-insure it straight away as the next time I will be able to ride my bike will be at the end of September.

That's ok, I just insure it when I get back and ride it until the end of December when the tax runs out right? I've just saved the cost of two months insurance :cool:.

Or are you saying that at the end of July I will need to SORN because the insurance runs out?

and claim back the cost of the TAX? Surely you can't SORN and keep the Tax disc can you? :eek:

Ok so if I do claim the Tax back ll well and good but what happens if my holiday is cut short and I arrive home wanting to ride my bike in the middle of August? So I end up needing to buy insurance and Tax that starts from the beginning of August.

Confused :(

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Back on topic, avoid Bennets at all cost!!!

Dial Direct seem to have been OK for me so far.

The problem with insurance is the state insists we buy it yet they do not offer it which leaves it wide open to an industry full of Sharks!

For clarity I am not disagreeing with compulsory insurance just the people that make it compulsory should also offer it IMO.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
So let me get this right, here is a well made up example:

My bike insurance runs out at the end of July 2012
My tax runs out in at the end of December 2012

I ride my bike on the road legally until the insurance runs out (end of July).

Due to holiday commitments i decide not to re-insure it straight away as the next time I will be able to ride my bike will be at the end of September.

That's ok, I just insure it when I get back and ride it until the end of December when the tax runs out right? I've just saved the cost of two months insurance :cool:.

Or are you saying that at the end of July I will need to SORN because the insurance runs out?

and claim back the cost of the TAX? Surely you can't SORN and keep the Tax disc can you? :eek:

Ok so if I do claim the Tax back ll well and good but what happens if my holiday is cut short and I arrive home wanting to ride my bike in the middle of August? So I end up needing to buy insurance and Tax that starts from the beginning of August.

Confused :(
No, you cannot have a bike that is taxed and not insured. You can have a bike that is insured and not taxed.

If you want to not insure it you must put it on Sorn. If you then want to ride it for one day on 3oth of July, you will need to tax it again from 1 July

y. But you will need to do so in the Post Office because you must display the tax disc not just have paid for it, so you cannot buy it online in time.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
No, you cannot have a bike that is taxed and not insured.
...or at least you shouldn't have.

The people this clamps down on are the ones who generally taxed and insured stuff when they needed it. It does nothing to clamp down on the people who simply don't bother with registering the bike in their name, paying tax, MoT, fuel, speeding fines etc. and just rely on a copied number plate.

Again it's the soft target that gets hit because it is revenue generating for minimum effort for our glorious leaders. They simple change the rules and suddenly they have a massive database of people they can send extra bills to while telling us it's for our own good :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a '6 wheel' policy with Carole Nash, which actually covers a car and up to 5 bikes. Not sure if it's cheaper than a multi-bike policy, but it was certainly cheaper than separate car and bike policies. Handy if you have to have a car as well: the renewal date for all vehicles is the same and doesn't tax my waning memory.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
I have a '6 wheel' policy with Carole Nash, which actually covers a car and up to 5 bikes. Not sure if it's cheaper than a multi-bike policy, but it was certainly cheaper than separate car and bike policies. Handy if you have to have a car as well: the renewal date for all vehicles is the same and doesn't tax my waning memory.
Ditto:)

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
That would suit me well that would, dare i ask how much it costs? And is it fully comp / allows named driver / rider?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
...or at least you shouldn't have.

The people this clamps down on are the ones who generally taxed and insured stuff when they needed it. It does nothing to clamp down on the people who simply don't bother with registering the bike in their name, paying tax, MoT, fuel, speeding fines etc. and just rely on a copied number plate.

Again it's the soft target that gets hit because it is revenue generating for minimum effort for our glorious leaders. They simple change the rules and suddenly they have a massive database of people they can send extra bills to while telling us it's for our own good :rolleyes:
Yep, and if you are a scally and ride with no tax, MOT or insurance, the fine you will get is less than the cost of the insurance, let alone all the rest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts