Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum. I have a honda Transalp 700 2010 model from last year..Enjoying riding it. Getting old so needed a comfortable bike. Any trips planned..please let me know.:rolleyes:

Thats my baby
844ed246-82f7-44ce-882d-ceb8374084c8.jpg

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't think any trips are planned or arranged by members on this forum, i am not sure why. Most people i see on trips in europe and on the uk ferries to spain seem to be on bigger bikes.

I know there is an annual transalp meeting/rally every year in Europe. One of those in the uk would be good

·
Registered
268 Posts
every year for the last decade I intend to finish my campervan resto and bugger off abroad somewhere...every year I get as far as the garage.
This year is the first year I have a bike sufficiently large enough to consider doing a bit of distance.

My plan is to ferry to Zeebrugge, mooch about in the Lowlands, see Bruges and Ghent, head east towards Italy and arrive in Slovenia after a few days easy travel.
More of an 'outline' than a plan, but it'll do for now. Why Slovenia? It was voted the happiest country in Europe...apparently:cool:

·
Registered
533 Posts
My mate (with a 700) I are thinking of going on a trip this September. That’s as far as we got with the planning so far :p

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Ive done six foreign trips in the last three years. I can recommend it, as the roads/weather in france and spain are ten times better than the the uk. Especially the picos, pyrenees and alps.

eg

F1F6DD8F-C606-41C6-90A1-AF21A725BE27.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ive done six foreign trips in the last three years. I can recommend it, as the roads/weather in france and spain are ten times better than the the uk. Especially the picos, pyrenees and alps.

eg

View attachment 133905
It's definitely something I've always had a mind to do on a motorbike, but never managed to get it together. I figured on a mixture of camping, hostels and the nearest travel lodge. I don't like the idea of booking everything in advance, because it ties you in to a particular programme, but it would be good to have some specific targets with a pre-arranged billet to aim for. The Pyrennes look tempting. I've read some good reviews of the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, to save a long schlep through France, but presumably these are folk on a tight schedule.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
ferry to spain saves a 3 day trek through france. and it always rains in flat boring northern france

once you factor in petrol, food, hotels, its almost the same cost.

go in april, may, june or sept and you wont need to pre book hotels until the day before

ive spent the last week in northern spain, sometimes we were the only people in the hotel!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum. I don't think any trips are planned or arranged by members on this forum, i am not sure why. Most people i see on trips in europe and on the uk ferries to spain seem to be on bigger bikes.

I know there is an annual transalp meeting/rally every year in Europe. One of those in the uk would be good

So are you saying my Transalp 700 is not comfy for long trips..I think It is ok to do about 200 miles a day then take a break...I am looking for a group who r planning any trips abroad..dont care what bike there are on.
Generally speaking as long as they dont ride like idiots and try to rush ahead I am ok..any other forums anyone can suggest..

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have regularly taken the overnight ferry Portsmouth to St Malo, it arrives around 7am and if you use the quiet toll motorways you can be in the Pyrenees that evening. This is the cheapest way as no hotel required, the ferry across is 11 hours so enough time for a few beers before bed (always book a cabin)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Check out Bossost, it’s in Spain but on the French side of the Pyrenees. A town following the course of a river and the hotels there are cheap and friendly. You can easily get there in a day from St Malo (ignore the 500 miles, it’s all motorway and easy) and you can wake up in the morning and ride straight into the Pyrenees. I’ve used it twice and love the place as I speak more Spanish than French!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Cross Channel Ferries to France & Spain - Brittany Ferries

download the ‘via michelin’ app for your phone or tablet and follow any green scenic route.

use the booking.com or hotels.com app to book accomodation.

a good route is to take ferry to santander, head for Ainsa, in spain, then head north into france, head for Arreau, then Laruns.

this will take you over the colu du aspin, col du tourmalet, col du aubisque, col du portalet, then back into jaca, in spain. these are all big tour de france climbs and some of the best roads you will ride.

video:

these are screenshots from the ‘via michelin’ app

51F6890E-BB24-47BB-8868-2342A5770921.jpg
14CFC6CE-7AC8-4D2E-BCD7-4055D5A94F82.jpg
48575A7E-7072-4B94-BD42-12285D346E1B.jpg
E5655501-9F80-4E5E-8095-898F8C3CB5F1.jpg

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
So are you saying my Transalp 700 is not comfy for long trips..I think It is ok to do about 200 miles a day then take a break...I am looking for a group who r planning any trips abroad..dont care what bike there are on.
Generally speaking as long as they dont ride like idiots and try to rush ahead I am ok..any other forums anyone can suggest..
you could try here

Open invite trips

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good tip on the michelin scenic routes....In the UK I often stick my old Tomtom Go 920 on 'avoid motorways' and 'shortest route'....takes me places I'd never see or think of travelling to otherwise...over farmers fields, ginnels, green lanes back streets....you name it :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts