Honda XRV Forum banner

Anybody got a flywheel puller I can borrow?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mototed 
#1 ·
In the Colchester area? Only need it once, don't want to have to buy one. Need to split my cases to get to output shaft (hopefully sold)

Cheers Guys

#2 ·
Usually the rear axle works on the flywheel. I heard that years ago and tried it on an XT125 when changing the camchain and was gobsmacked that it worked. If the thread fits it'll work.

#4 ·
hi futter...I'm a bit far away to lend you mine but if you have a decent
"Bolt supply Store" near you chances are they may have one.

Following cut and pasted from an old thread.

To remove the rotor you need a special bolt. You can order one from Honda and pay lots or you can go to a good Bolt Supply Store and buy it cheap. What you need to know is the proper size. It is a 22mm bolt with a thread pitch of 1.5 Threads are fine. You need at least the length as seen in the following pic. You still have to hold the rotor with the strap whilst removing the rotor with the special bolt. You should not require an impact air tool. Simply turn the bolt in as far as it will go while someone holds the rotor strap. Once it is in tight, you then hit the head of the bolt a couple times with a medium sized hammer and then turn the bolt again. It should come out easily now. Easier said than done. :lol: Seriously though, it should come out that way with out the use of heat etc...
Bolt steel grade should be grade 8 or higher. This one was marked 8.8

rotor strap tool KD 3149

honda's tool to fit multi bikes

#5 ·
It's never easy with these rotors..

Does anyone know the part number for the Honda tool ??

The thread is indeed 22x1.5. The hardnest part is holding the rotor still. Especially when the motor is on a bench. I think I need to make a tool for this. Or modify a car brake rotor puller.

#7 ·
I did this job yesterday with a standard 'two thread ' rotor puller cross bar.. I ended up heating the rotor centre with a MAP gas torch and hitting the puller with a big hammer. It moved after three hard blows.

I'd rather use a rattle gun on a bolt though. I just wasn't in my usual workshop.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.