Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a Midland 42 Handheld CB but where it requires a 2 pin 3.5/2.5 connector for PTT/Speaker - I want to connect the 3.5 speaker cable to my existing headset and the 2.5/PTT on its own.

Does anyone know if I can use/buy the 2.5/ptt cable and switch on its own?

Cant find anywhere!!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiring is standard so any mic leads made for any of the main handheld makes will fit

I thought that the different makes might have different pole connections for the ptt/mic - if all the same then great.

List here of the different pin-out types

PMR446 2-Way Radio Microphone Compatibility | THUNDERPOLE

These are all PMR as opposed to CB... I take it there is a difference?

You sure the 2,5 is purely PTT?? Just that it's more than likely to be the microphone input itself and use a current sense on the switching

Yea the 2.5 is both ptt and mic in one - the cable that comes from it splits halfway to the ptt switch.

Issue is that its also connected to the dual plug on the midland 42 handset so I cant use my own 3.5 speakers.

L

·
0 Posts
The PMR radios also use the same mic input and the midland 42 is one of the first non-pmr radios that follow the standard set-up (hence I showed you the list as it means you have more choice with mic accessories)

Sorry but when I asked if the 2.5 was pure PTT you answered YES but then gave me a NO in the explanation.. If the mic circuit is on the 2.5 then it's not pure PTT but also microphone audio as well.. The witing is then as follows, the tip goes to the positive side of a condensor mic and the sleeve to the negative side. The PTT switch connects a resistor across the two wires (normally about 1K but can change from radio to radio) so if you wanted to you could do a seperate PTT switch (you'd have to break into the wiring and just connect a new flylead across the mic inputs with a switch and (approx 1K) resistor in series but then you still have the problem of the microphone/spker plug... So instead just strip off the combined plug and put on two seperate plugs (or make an adaptor using a mono 2.5mm female to male plugs on a short length of lead, that way you can just not plug in the 3.5mm side if you want to use the external speaker..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of with you Kymmy and yes my answers are in irish.

The 2 pin lead for the Midland that Ive seen, has a 3.5 pin for sound and a 2.5 pin for both mic and ptt.

Due to the location of the socket I cant plugin only the 2.5 - it has to be both.

So your saying I can split the Midland Dual plug and do away with the 3.5pin sound cable entirely without effecting the 2.5 mic/ptt function in any way? And this doesnt require any electrical re-wiring by me?

If so then great - thats what I needed to know - or if there is a seperate 2.5 mic/ptt already available from anywhere but making my own doesnt sound that hard. Kind of thought the 2 cables intertwined somewhere in the joining block.

Cheers for your help!

L

·
0 Posts
All you need is a simple 2.5mm Plug on a short length of cable to a 2.5mm socket.. Don;t know if you can get them that short but it's a very simple soldering job with about £2's worth of stuff from maplins.. In esscence all you're doing is extending the 2.5mm plug so it engages into the radio without the 3.5mm plug engaging and giving you room to plug in your external speaker..

The other option is that there are speaker/mikes available that have a 3.5mm plug on the microphone body for external speakers/earphones (I have some for my Yaesus which though have a different plug I have seen them in different wiring for other radios) this means you can wind your external speaker cable up the inside of the curly lead and mount it anywhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts