Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any recommendations? Been looking at a VholdR contour HD 1080. Anybody got one or can help?

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
I use an Oregon Scientific ATC3K strapped to the peak of my helmet, if you can get the setup angle right then it is a very good bit of kit, I used the frame mount from my scotoiler kit and cut it into a wedge, works a treat!

If you mount it on the bike, you get a wavey effect due to the vibration, but I think you get this with most of these sorts of cameras, helmet is definatly the way to go!

Here is a picture, you might be able to spot the camera on the lid:

I'm sure some others will be along with their favourites.

:thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i prefer to use a handheld, after watching "terra circa". you can film yourself:D, or mount it on the bike (got mine on a RAM mount)

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Like the look of these
Mini DVR

I use the Scientific Oregon like Drlaner. I have had it on the bars of the varadero but there is a lot of wavey problems from vibration.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
try and get one with a wide angle lens, i used to use my ordinary digital camera in vid mode but its too narrow

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VholdR Contour 1080p has a 135 deg wide angle lens. Trouble is its over £300 with the underwater case (for snorkelling) but if you buy cheap you buy twice as Ive found out. Thats why Im asking around. Its pricey but you only live once.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
any recommendations? Been looking at a VholdR contour HD 1080. Anybody got one or can help?
I use a Oregon Scientific ATC3K. Memory card gives me 2hrs 2mins record time and takes 2 aa batteries. It's pretty robust has been dropped and submerged with no problems o rings did stretch around battery door but they sent me 2 sets of spares for free.
Image quality is good but it doesn't like going from dark to very bright very quickly. Also i turned sound off as all i seem to get is wind noise.

I can mount it on my helmet or the handlebar cross bar on the xr

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
picture quality with the go pro is better than contour also the sound on the contour has a lot to be desired (go pro is A+).... we went throught all this about 6 months back.

After mucking about with a few systems and watching the back to back footage what i will say is do you need 1080?... unless you have the ability to view it, the bandwith to stream it or uplad/down load is pritty well a waste of time.

I slso found that if you want to edit the footage working with such a high def is a total pain in the arse as it takes for ever to re-render and edit.. so much so 9 times out of 10 I ended up reducing it to 480 or 720! Consider a 720 camera as the cost is way less (the hype is now for 1080), its esier to work worth, the loss in image quality not that much etc etc

Also before you buy anything consider a few other things... the frame rate, the def type and the white out response. There are a lot of places shouting about their 1080 cameras but read the small print and you will find they are 1080i and not 1080p which is a major difference. If your doing sports work then fps is also key, cheap cameras use a ****ty 15fps which is useless for fast movement (gives that flickery look) standard is 24/29fps which is ok but the best results come from a 60fs camera. Budget cameras have a real issue with white out (moving from shade to sun) this can be a big problem if you filming anything in the sun so be warned !!!!

At the minute I've been playing with a kodak Zi6 which can be bought from £60 and really ticks all the above boxes (720p/60fps and good white out response) down side of these is the fact they are not waterproof (but the better model the Zi8/playsport is to some degree).

If your after the ultimate then consider one of the Panasonic SDH camcorders as these run exceptionally high quality video and have the option to import from a remote camers too.... they are the camera of choice for the docu makers, but again not if your looking to get it wet.

A quick note on PVRs. like above you need to be VERY careful and read the spec as these seam to be very misleading. The best set up we could find was using the Neuros MPEG4 Recorder/playstation thingy as this was tiny and recorded to SD in an mpeg4 format at quite good rates (mk1's are about £20-£50 on eaby s/h and mk2's from the usa about £55 new)... Kymmy would know more about the geeky spec stuff.

Sound quality on all these budget cameras is pritty basic, if you want better then you need a camcorder with stereo or record your sound with a dictaphone (with dual channels so you get two digital inputs.. eg rider and engine) which you can easily edit to the footage with any half decent editing package, again ebay is your friend with them selling at £60ish s/h.

last note beaware these units eat batteries, and can fill an sd card in no time so expect to budget in a few spares of both (nano flip has an inbuilt battery pack which can be a problem if goes flat in the middle of nowhere and so I disreguarded this unit from day one.)

·
Matt
182 Posts
police/military used POV but its way to expensive (£550) for what it is compared to the newer systems, the pov1 has big problems with upgrades too so i am told, if your spending that sort of money look at the better chase cam systems we use in the rally cars.
IIRC chase cam systems arn't waterproof? So not really suited to use on a bike, POVs are fully waterproof and very rugged, so perfect for a bike. And if you look around you can get a POV 1.5 for under £320 :thumbup:

Edit, £320 is from the US, cheapest I've seen here is about £370

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
2,075 Posts
the go pro can be bought for around £280ish if you hunt about... (base kit) cheapest pov i could find was way over £400...

Chase cam do do a drybag system so it can be made waterproof!.. seen and used them, quality and durability of the equipment/system is way way ahead of anthing else out there and thats why its still the most used system in pro motorsport of any kind....

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
the go pro can be bought for around £280ish if you hunt about... (base kit) cheapest pov i could find was way over £400...

Chase cam do do a drybag system so it can be made waterproof!.. seen and used them, quality and durability of the equipment/system is way way ahead of anthing else out there and thats why its still the most used system in pro motorsport of any kind....

Can you connect an external microphone to the Go Pro? Was thinking about connecting it to the autocom

·
2,075 Posts
no, you use either the waterproof case for no/crap sound or the semi open one for the better sound as the electret mic capsule is internal like on a camcorder.

AFAIK the only way to get proper sound is with a dedicated audio recorder.
no connection to either website but i found both these usefull to work out were we went....

MountainBikeBill's Video How-To Guide
CAMERA STEADICAM STABILIZER AUDIO DIGITAL RECORDER MICROPHONE PANORAMA photos

I would also say dont bother with youtube but look on vimeo for video tutorials and reviews as the quality of the posts and footage is a million times better (tends to be used by the prosumer community ant not f#~king kids)

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
I use the Oregon ATC5, they are pretty robust, mine came off my helmet at 150kph once, a bit scraped but still works well.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts