Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of getting some and someone in work mentioned about the law saying who can and who can't keep them. Does anyone know about the law on domestic hen keeping?

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
The questions that get asked on this site,

have a look here

Will we be breaking local bylaws?
You do not have to contact the council if you want to keep chickens. However, it is worth checking the deeds of your house, which can sometimes prohibit you from doing certain things in your garden - such as putting up sheds, green houses and keeping rabbits or chickens. Any by-laws and covenants are meant to protect your neighbourhood from the disturbance of cockerels crowing. As we only supply female chickens and not cockerels; the only noise you will hear is a gentle clucking as your chickens' search for worms and a satisfying cluck as an egg is laid. So we suggest you ask your neighbours if they would mind, explaining the lack of noise and perhaps a promise of a share of the eggs.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
i'm thinking of keeping an elephant
as my back yard is only 12 ' square will this be a problem ?
and what's the law on elephant droppings ??

:confused::confused:
You would need a license as specified in the 1976 dangerous wild animals act, and need to meet the conditions of that license such as:

Licenses are required for any animal listed on a schedule under the law. These licenses will only be granted when the authority is satisfied that it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance and that the animal's accommodation is adequate and secure.
Where the local authority grant a license it shall impose conditions on the license covering issues such as:
  • a requirement that the animal be kept only by a person or persons named on the license;
  • restrictions on the movement of the animal from the premises as specified on the license; and
  • a requirement that the license holder has a current insurance policy which ensures both license holders and others against any liability caused by the animal.
Also as the addo elephant national park has an area of 800 square km for thier 7 elephants I would seriously worry that your 12 ' square garden would be enough for you elephant to roam.

Why don't you go for a gerbal instead :D

NEXT..............................................

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jen and I have thought about getting some hens but only for egg laying (Jen's vegetarian). No worries here about neighbours as there's a few gardens with hens and cockrels...

Once we've eventually got the back garden sorted (currently got a large polytunnel in the way that belongs to her mother) we'll be approaching this charity for the hens

Battery Hen Welfare Trust

Kymmy

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
NEXT..............................................
Dear bored Nursey. My tortoise got very hot and grumpy in this recent spell of hot weather. It saddened me to see him panting and moving slowly around, complaining about the 'bloody weather' in tortoise language.

I removed his shell to let the cool air get to him, yet rather than cheer him up, he's been quite poorly since. Is it me or are tortoises ungrateful bleeders?

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Where do they get those elephant legs that are used for Doner Kebabs then...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hens?........Cluck 'em !!!....:)

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Dear bored Nursey. My tortoise got very hot and grumpy in this recent spell of hot weather. It saddened me to see him panting and moving slowly around, complaining about the 'bloody weather' in tortoise language.

I removed his shell to let the cool air get to him, yet rather than cheer him up, he's been quite poorly since. Is it me or are tortoises ungrateful bleeders?

Dear Naughty Yen,

It may appear that your tortoise is indeed ungrateful however the shell of a tutle or tortoise is the support structure for for its internal organs. without the shell the result would be a colapse of the inside of the reptile and ultimately death.

Unfortunatley I doubt your grumpy pet will survive to complain about another summer :D

Bored Nursey

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Thats what i love about this forum
You can ask any question you like but unlikely get any answers which even remotly relate to the question:D:D:D:thumbup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
i think if you have a cokeral (sp) then yer youll get told off..depends if you live right smack bang in the middle of the city or on the out skirts

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
Thats what i love about this forum
You can ask any question you like but unlikely get any answers which even remotly relate to the question:D:D:D:thumbup:
it's about 12.20

:happy3::happy3:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
HOW MUCH:confused::confused:
Would not give you more than £12.50 for a turtle without a shell:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Would that be a "Norwegian Blue" turtle? Pining for the Fjords? Worth every penny too!:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts