Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is planning on fixing a dodgy choke (which is much like asking "anyone going to be stripping the brake calipers soon?"), they're likely to find out as I did that the dreaded choke plunger, feeble spring, quick-seize 90 degree bend at the end of the choke cable and the self destructing plastic nut come as a kit that costs 46 quid. Per choke.

Wemoto can supply the kit for 31 pounds. Nasty but still a 33% saving.

Still, assuming you get a choke cable from patternparts.net or hondaspares.com you can renew everything for around 70 quid. Honda OE parts will cost you 130 quid.

Snag is, Wemoto can't guarantee the parts in under a month, so you need to plan in advance. OTOH this will need doing at some point so having the bits in your garange isn't such a bad thing, even if you manage to clean up an reuse the old parts this time round...

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
I just stopped using my choke altogether now than pay those prices. Would need to replace it sooner or later though but daylight robbery from Honda seems to come to mind :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
icenian said:
If anyone is planning on fixing a dodgy choke (which is much like asking "anyone going to be stripping the brake calipers soon?"), they're likely to find out as I did that the dreaded choke plunger, feeble spring, quick-seize 90 degree bend at the end of the choke cable and the self destructing plastic nut come as a kit that costs 46 quid. Per choke.

Wemoto can supply the kit for 31 pounds. Nasty but still a 33% saving.

Still, assuming you get a choke cable from patternparts.net or hondaspares.com you can renew everything for around 70 quid. Honda OE parts will cost you 130 quid.

Snag is, Wemoto can't guarantee the parts in under a month, so you need to plan in advance. OTOH this will need doing at some point so having the bits in your garange isn't such a bad thing, even if you manage to clean up an reuse the old parts this time round...

Can you give me the part number and i can see what my local mechinic can get it for as he ususally get genuine Honda bits at a very good price.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wonder if the choke internals are included when you buy a complete new carburettor set (currently priced at £149 at David Silver, plus P&P and VAT). A bit drastic of course, but at least you'll have all other new parts that may wear or break (jets/needles/diaphragm etc) for relatively very little extra pay.
Oh, and you'd still need to pay an extra 8 quid for a pattern cable, but hey, we're talking big money here anyway :D

BTW not using choke: There is no way I can get my AT to start without using the choke, despite the fact that a tiny bit is already enough to fire it up on a warm day. I usually drive away seconds after and put it back almost immediately (may need a bit of assistence from the throttle at the 1st trafic light to keep it running but otherwise runs well), but again, when I don't use it at all the bike refuses to start. The only time I managed this was when the choke was sticky :roll:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Simon said:
Can you give me the part number and i can see what my local mechinic can get it for as he ususally get genuine Honda bits at a very good price.
Hi Simon,

I would be very interested about the choke bits as well. My hollow plastic bolt thingie has been in a semi-snapped state for almost two years now. I glue'd it at the time of disaster and it has been holding all this time...

OT. Would it be possible to replace the plastic bolt with a metal equivalent? If the thread is standard it could well be possible to drill a hole in a normal bolt (pref. stainless steel)... Just an idea. Are there anybody with a suitable tools to test this? Or maybe these hollow bolts are available from bicycle shops used in brakes and gears...

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simon said:
Sorry, don't know the part number, though it's listed as "starter valve set" if that helps. But would he manage more than a 30-35% discount (like wemoto)? If so he should go into business on ebay;-)

robelst said:
BTW not using choke: There is no way I can get my AT to start without using the choke
I'm the same. A little choke for very little time seems to do it, but I do need to use some.

Wonder is Stig's and Maverick's chokes are seized slightly on :wink:

samih said:
I would be very interested about the choke bits as well
I could always try and get a good price out of wemoto if there lots of us want these parts, though I guess it may not be worth their while to discount them more unless it's a really big order...

Of course of Simon's mate can get the price under 30 quid I'd add my name to an order from him!

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
icenian said:
Wonder is Stig's and Maverick's chokes are seized slightly on :wink:
Don't think so as I cleaned out both sides with carburettor cleaner and merely plugged the one side with the thread end of the caliper sliding pin which has the same size thread as the plastic thingie :wink:

My bike won't idle when I start it up but myself sit, press red button and go :lol: By the time I stop again the bike is warm and idles fine 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts