Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use MT 43 on an XR400 - They are really good on all off road -bar very deep mud when you miss larger knobbles. Predictable on road. They are q soft so do not last all that long. For trail rides and the odd LDT they are perfect. Hope that helps.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
How well do they work and what mileage do the get from them

Use the Pirelli MT43 on both my bikes it the only trials tyre i use. I put it on the Gasgas as all the championship enduro's down here stipulate you have to have a trials tyre on the rear.
Just put one on the Xr for this sunday's road trial agin you have to use them it's in the regs.
I normally pay around £55 for a rear they seem to last for ages and give good grip. The best tyre combination down here is a trial on the rear and enduro on the front. Grip is good and the tyres last ages, i have apart worn one here that i just put on the xr as i put a fresh new one on the Gasgas that should last several races.....
Cant ever remember putting a Pirreli trials tyre on the front though it always seemed to be cheapies on the front as i don't use them often enough to buy expensive ones also found the cheap fronts dont give very good grip on grassy paths and i have lost the front end several times when hitting something slippery at speed

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Phil, I used a MT43 on the TTR250, and it seemed to last forever compared to an enduro tyre. The 400 may have that bit too much power for them though?
You can often get "part" worn ones from the trials lads, but they look new to me!
Don't get the ones from the trials boys they are a different compound and the side wall is alot softer which screws up handling. My mate found that out when he decide to be a skinflint and took one off this Gasgas TXT250 and put it on his Yamaha XT550 for a road trial, in the end he couldn't go around corners and when he pumped it up he couldn't get any grip on the loose stuff

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rekon I will stick to TKC after checking these out.
Only thing is there is so many different sizes!!
Anyone know what 4.10 18 66P (£63) and 4.00 18 64R (£69)
compare to what I guess is normal size
a 120/90 18 is £71
???? Hate tyre sizing:cyclopsani:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I tried the MT 43 and whilst I found the grip awesome it did not last very long - one ride and most of the knobs were looking very sad, some missing etc. It may be good on the smaller bikes but the XR650L eats them, i resorted to the Trelleborgs, simply the best mix for road and stone/mud/sand trails - if you haven't tried them try the Trelleborg Swedish Army tyre, simply the best

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Rekon I will stick to TKC after checking these out.
Only thing is there is so many different sizes!!
Anyone know what 4.10 18 66P (£63) and 4.00 18 64R (£69)
compare to what I guess is normal size
a 120/90 18 is £71
???? Hate tyre sizing:cyclopsani:
Phil dont get the 4.10 i got one of those by mistake the rear wheel looked like it was off a BMX it was so small stick to the 120

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, I tried the MT 43 and whilst I found the grip awesome it did not last very long - one ride and most of the knobs were looking very sad, some missing etc. It may be good on the smaller bikes but the XR650L eats them, i resorted to the Trelleborgs, simply the best mix for road and stone/mud/sand trails - if you haven't tried them try the Trelleborg Swedish Army tyre, simply the best
Looked at the Trelleborg... hmmm not sure about it as I have knobbly on off road wheel and spare wheels are more road biased but if I see somewhere that looks exciting I want to know I've got the grip. TKC 80 seems best all round. Also looking at Heidenhau K60 ??? And if I can find some Mitas E09 or E07

Phil dont get the 4.10 i got one of those by mistake the rear wheel looked like it was off a BMX it was so small stick to the 120
What does the 4.10 mean Fred

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
What does the 4.10 mean Fred[/QUOTE said:
Isn't it the wheel size in imperial instead of metric

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So whats it equivalent in metric then ??? Rekon its about about time this imperial stuff was ditched:D

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I think 4.10 is is the width of the tyre in inches which would be 4.1 inches wide or about 104mm
I'm most probably wrong sure someone will be along to correct me soon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Phil, Try the Trelleborg - they really are very good on and off road. I have tried numerous tyres in the past and these give me the best all round deal - and they last reasonably well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts