Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently acquired a new Drift HD170 Stealth Helmet Camera for the birthday boy (Chris X), we are now stumped as to best practice as to where/how to mount it. We wondered whether any of you good cam-buffs would be up for a meet in the Peaks (Yondermans?) or more locally in the E. Mids area, to pass on advice? Looking at either the 14th or 15th July.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
DCs and Hudders have got them but I think they are about to go on their trip

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DCs and Hudders have got them but I think they are about to go on their trip
Ah yes, of course, it's time for the honeymoon :rolleyes::D:D:D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I use both a GoPro HD Wide and a VIO POV. I often mount the VIO bullet on the side of my helmet - give a good view of road and also the handlebars and clocks etc. the GoPro - attach to crash bars, helmet and also often use suction mount to Ali box panniers both shooting forward and then turn it around for rear view shots.

Attach to a mates bike looking back for film of you riding. Attach to a variety of parts of bike for detail film eg gear changes , rear wheel, front wheel film etc.

Under the bike looking at front wheel can be good also.

Key is think about the story you want to tell and then get enough film angles to edit it together to make it interesting - critically watch mainstream tv coverage of bike film and count the cuts and see the variety - it will surprise you.

Good luck

Reactions: Lulu

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Best bit of advice is to gaffer tape the mounts on to your helmet first and go for a ride round the block. Most people set the thing far too low on the first attempt. Only once happy with positron use the sticky thing.

I actually use 3M dial lock over the permanent pads or velcro. Permanent pads are just that and over time velcro tents to creep and work loose. It's also noisey with constant clicks. 3M dual lock is the strong and silent type ;)

For on road use put the camera on the side of my helmet as it's a bit less telly tubby but on my off road helmet I mount it on the top as gets a better view and is better protected in a fall.

Also unless you really need 1080p HD consider using 720p. Much faster to edit and you get a faster shutter speed and a wider viewpoint. Both are great but for the like of youtube 720p is more than enough.

All the Galloway videos were shot on my Drift.

Galloway 2012 Part 1 - YouTube

Reactions: Lulu
1 - 6 of 6 Posts