Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, I spotted this about a week ago! Eek! :eek: Rear wheel on a 97 RD07.
I've noticed some of you have mentioned corroding rims, but is this what they looked like?

I've mailed hagon for a repair or rebuild quote. Not sure if they're worth repairing as I guess it'll happen again. I wasn't even riding *that* fast over speed bumps :D Seriously though, you'd think all that suspension travel would take care of those.

I'm expecting a quote of £200-£300 for a wheel build. The dealer wanted £725 for a whole back wheel - yeah right! :D

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
That´s the corrosion suffered my many Africa Twin wheels (something to do with the amount of magnesium in the alloy). I´d stop using the bike until you get it sorted. Oh..... and mine were much worse than yours!

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
my rear one on the SLR went like that getting a new rim on that now
Merv

·
Registered
256 Posts
EErrrmmm yes... but not on an AT, but on my '88 Alp.... see below just two patches, but wheel is full of them all the way round... and I've ended up getting another wheel...

Basically when I phoned a shop asking about this problem I was told that these wheels that Honda fitted are prone to this, and that they corrode from the inside out, so if you have corrosion on the outside then your wheel is fooked, and I was advised to either be very carefull when riding, or change the wheel/get the rim replaced ASAP.

Titch.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OUCH... and to think i was worried about mine, not anymore. off the subject... two of went for a ride out yesterday, split up on the way home, both of us had wheel bearing collapes within 5mins. Wierd.
Using your old hub, Centralwheel.co.uk,
£207 for s/s spokes, rim + rebuild labour.
+ £17 extra p/rim gold anodizing
+ £25+/- return postage of your hub/wheel
+ £20 x 3 new bearings
...+ 3-4 WEEKS turn around time.. gonna have to bite the bullet sooner or later... dont mind the money(much) so much as the month without my babe! I don't do cars!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...+ 3-4 WEEKS turn around time.. gonna have to bite the bullet sooner or later... dont mind the money(much) so much as the month without my babe! I don't do cars!
Me neither - mainly coz I never got my car licence!

It makes me feel somehow better that I'm not the only one with these problems but it's gonna make getting to work a pain. I've got a 125 I use as a winter bike but an enormous hole just opened up in the side of that one's silencer! At this rate I'll be back to pedal power! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EErrrmmm yes... but not on an AT, but on my '88 Alp.... see below just two patches, but wheel is full of them all the way round... and I've ended up getting another wheel...

Basically when I phoned a shop asking about this problem I was told that these wheels that Honda fitted are prone to this, and that they corrode from the inside out, so if you have corrosion on the outside then your wheel is fooked, and I was advised to either be very carefull when riding, or change the wheel/get the rim replaced ASAP.

Titch.
They look like they've gone a stage beyond mine, where the top layer has snapped off completely. I had no idea the Hondas would have these problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeh, mine is a bit drastic, and try to find a 'Drum' rear wheel to replace it was like trying to find rocking horse sh*t... so it was either send wheel off to Cenral wheels and get done up or, change the back end to a 'Disk' and get a wheel from Ebay.

As I'd been toying with the latter idea anyway... it sort of forced the issue a bit, and the rear end conversion commenced, including swingarm caliper carrier, caliper and master cylinder, and sourced a set of Dominator wheels from Ebay for less than £100 for both wheels... not bad, and wheels are in near perfect condition as well.

So my advise would be shop around first for wheel, I.e. brakers yards and Ebay etc.... you just might get lucky.

Titch.

(Here's a pic of my new rear end...)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Err ? .....No :)

For God's sake Nick...this is a serious forum....

His nose is obscuring his rim...:rolleyes:

And in this one it's the head..........

Apparently, several of our members assume this position regularly.....:eek:

I'm shocked.

Amazing what can happen in a lost hour......:confused:

Normal Service is now Resumed...Apologies...:hitler:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Acid.. my ol TA had just about the same level as that by the look, once stripped down still was solid enough under neath but worrying. I went down the route of a talon excel rim and total price was around 200 smackers

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

What Magwa said,:thumbup:

If that is what the outside looks like imagine what it could look like on the inside, I just had my ALP wheels rebuilt following a bum twitching front blowout and mine showed no outside corrosion but a shard of alloy ripped my valve open. follow the good advice.

BIG D

·
White van man
560 Posts
I had both my wheels rebuilt last March, not as bad as yours but marked up.
Morad polished alloy rims and stainless spokes.
Just washed off the ACF50 and give the bike a wash.
Rims still look as new.
So worth the expense and a big thumb-up :thumbright: for ACF.

·
where next?
508 Posts
Mine was nowhere near as bad as yours but I was scared enough to get it rebuilt right away. A collapsed wheel while riding doesn't bear thinking about. There's enough to contend with out there as it is. You've just got to remember that your bike only has two wheels and it needs both of them to stay upright. Paul at SFX has it now. Good price, and a much quicker turnaround time than others could quote.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I can say is try SFX Wheels ( Midlands) he's much better and an awful lot CHEAPER than Central Wheels.
:thumbup:

The man is on this site try a PM to ritosxf he can do new rims and completely sort the wheel

or take a look here on this site:-

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/recommended-dealers-service-providers-campsites/40696-wheel-anodizing-powdercoating.html
Good luck
Thanks, the reason I was looking at Hagon is they're only about a 30 minute drive from here so we could drop the wheels or even maybe whole bike off in person. It must be pretty tricky and / or expensive to send a wheel via courier - or do they arrange pickup? I know I could cut the hubs out myself but to be honest it would be the first time I've even taken a wheel off :(
Oh and I still can't work out how to send a PM? Do I have to be a subscriber?
Cheers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had two pairs done by Hagon and I was 100% satisfied with each pair, Morad polished alloy rims and stainless steel spokes. I cut the hubs out of the rims with an angle grinder on the spokes, and the hubs cleaned up nicely so didn't need powder coating. If you do that just be very careful of the razor sharp ends to the spokes where you've cut through them. It took about ten minutes to do both wheels. I left the bearings in the hubs as it makes life easier for the wheelbuilder. If you can deliver just the clean hubs and then collect the completed wheels thats gonna save you £50 in postage alone so worth doing.

I'm sure you can get it done cheaper, I just used Hagon as they have a good reputation, and you can actually talk to the guy who is going to build your wheels.

Your rims will be much worse on the inside, which is where the failure starts, and are definitely past their sell-by.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine weren't as bad as yours but I had smaller splits on three spokes and spread out over half the wheel so I wasn't prepared to take a risk riding it especially as I'm off to Morocco soon.

I found a new DID rim on fleabay for £139 (my local Honda dealer quoted £313) and had the wheel rebuilt locally. The guy told me he builds wheels for Dakar rider Craig Bounds and showed me one of the rims Craig had destroyed and I mean destroyed.

Unfortunately, my S/S spokes had welded themselves to the aluminium hub and had to be cut with an angle gringer and drifted out. So I needed 32 new spokes (he was going to use the old S/S spokes) which increased the cost but I was well pleased with the result. Spokes and rebuild cost £100. Sprayed the inside of the rim with ACF before fitting the tube and Tyre.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts