Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Sure, but is the cheapie actually nice to wear, or does it fit properly?

£329 is a bargain compared to what they cost over here by the way. Ordered one a few years back from the UK for £299, was essentially 50% off including shipping compared to MRSP (€699) here.

The trials and tribulations of having a head that doesn't work with any of the cheapie brands. No HJC or Nolan for me... So far, only Arai fits. Yeah and the BMW Enduro helmet, which isn't helping at all, price-wise.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Paying more does not mean that it will fit, or be nice to wear. Many people are fooled into thinking if they pay more, it's better? Not so.

I said a cheaper helmet has 4/ 5 stars with SHARP, and that's the most objective measure you'll get. Many expensive helmets get less.

Don't be suckered!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
There's no objective measure for how it fits, though. Paying more doesn't mean it will fit better or be nicer, it's just that this one fits well, comes with nice stuff like removable liners and pinlock visors and whatnot, and happens to be more expensive. I can't just get one for £100. I'm not just buying a SHARP rating either, I want it to be nice. Which this one is, very much. ;-)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sharp ratings! It's like buying a car cuz TopGear says its cool!

Regardless of Sharp, brand or peer pressure. Fit and feel done properly comes first. Done wrong they can put you at risk due to tiredness and lack of concentration. No rating or brand gonna help you then.

Likes been said, I only fit in certain helmets too, TourX not being one of them, usually Arai top ends though I found the Sharks do too. HJC flip fitted but the weight of it, balance and cheapness of build and lining meant it'd never last daily riding and the very long days I put in on the weekends.

Good find on that deal!

Wish I fitted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sharp ratings!

Regardless of Sharp, brand or peer pressure. Fit and feel done properly comes first. Done wrong they can put you at risk due to tiredness and lack of concentration. No rating or brand gonna help you then.

Well I find this amazing. With respect, to deny a test is useful is a bit flat earth society stuff. Instead people talk about "feel" and "balance" - all very unscientific, very romantic. And leaves you a victim to advertising for which you'll pay, and do pay, very heavily. As said, it's part of this belief that because it's dearer it's better. Carry on chaps!!!!

You know about the wine test where expensive wine was put into inexpensive label bottles and vice versa. Yes! you guessed it - the rating for cheap wine in another bottle was high, and the good wne in a cheap bottle was low. That's exactly what you find with helmets, and just what we read above.

Nobodyb believes tests are perfect , but it's a lot better than 'it's dearer so it's better' and other guesswork.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Both are valid points, it's the same with HDMI cables, the cheap ones do exactly the same as the £30 ones, exactly the same.

I have to agree with RC with the helmets though, although the cheap helmets still have to pass certain tests and standards ect i have found all cheap helmets to be uncomfortable, heavy, have crap visors and be very noisy. My current helmet is a Multitec and the difference between that and my old (cheap) one is that it's lighter so less fatigue over long distances, has good visor with pinlock and quick release, it's a lot more quiet and even comes with whisper kit for more comfort.

You get what you pay for, it's not always the case, i agree, but with helmets i have found it to be the case, in my experience anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Well I find this amazing. With respect, to deny a test is useful is a bit flat earth society stuff.
You are fighting at straw men a bit here. ;-)

Nobody is denying that a test is useful, but it's not the only thing that's important, nor is it the most important thing.

A helmet can have a 5 star rating but if it's rattling loose on your noggin that top rating doesn't mean squat. Above all else, it should fit well. Provided it meets the safety standards, obviously, otherwise it's not a helmet. ;-) But I'd rather have a 4 star helmet that fits brilliantly than a 5 star one that's the wrong shape for me. How much it costs doesn't even enter into it at that point.

it's part of this belief that because it's dearer it's better
Repeating it doesn't make it true. ;-)
By all means, rebel against The Man with your 5 star cheap helmet if it makes you happy. I'd rather not be prejudiced at all and just look at what fits me best, has nice features, feels good, is quality made, and isn't so crazy expensive it's out of budget.

I probably wouldn't have bought the X3 if I'd had to pay full Dutch retail price for it. €700 is pretty mad, I'd have found a cheaper Arai then. But €350 (at the time) was fine, and it's been a good helmet to me for about 30.000 miles now.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Beeza, u missed what I meant by feel and balance.

There's nothing more scientific than trying a helmet on to feel if it's right for your head shape and when trying various models of any price or brand you get to differentiate between the balanced and lightweight models Vs not so.

After that you can filter by whatever floats your boat, colour, brand, price, sharp ratings etc.

I do class sharp rating at this point as being relevant and all being equal I would possibly put a sharp rating second after build quality.

There are some really badly made helmets out there scoring 5 in Sharps ratings above far better performing helmets and I'd never touch them. If I wore a helmet 5 times a year then I'd maybe consider them but this alone shows the flaws in people classing Sharp ratings as top priority.

Biggest issue anyone has in selecting a helmet is knowing what feels right when trying it on and most of us have learnt from experience which is costly.

Arai have a test before you buy programme which really is the way forward especially as the helmets age like your new helmet will do also. Shame more brands aren't so confident.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I come from the road racing scene, and those boys destroy multiple helmets in a season and chase every penny and cut corners where they can - its an expensive lark.

Some of them have in the past bought cheapo ACU gold star equipped lids - and suffered the consequences.

Part of my sponsorship deal with Hein Gericke was to wear AGV, and I can say not my favorite lid at all.
I prefer (swear by) Arai, I have had multiple offs and destroyed a few personally - the AGV too was tested to destruction on a mighty crash at Oulton Park.

Others have not been so fortunate, one is in a serious state and has been for a year now due to a cheapo (£150) lid splitting on impact.
And it wasn't the first one unfortunately.

I'd rather take my chances in a second hand Arai than some of the brand new budget lids after witnessing that.

By all means get yourself a cheap lid, look for a deal and get what you can off - but steer clear of the proper cheap crap.
Have a look around a paddock at a race meeting and you'll see cash strapped racers everywhere - but they'll be wearing Arai's or Shoei's or similar.

You only need to see someone with brain damage helicopered off because his lid failed the once.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yet we know that some expensive lids get less SHARP stars than some cheaper ones. I think of the Caberg Trip at around £90 which rated better than some £300 lids.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I can't understand the massive jump in X3 prices, I was looking at them last year for stg £290 and this year they are £330 !
Bikersbargains used to do Arai at good prices but they all seem to be the same now within a very limited range +/- 20 quid or so.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
An interesting thread to read, I believe helmets are a personal choice, you pay your money & you make the choice.

I'm an Arai chap.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got an Arai Tour X3 that I bought in March at about the same price, £330 or so. Over £100 off list price. It's an expensive helmet, but I'm not putting a price on my head. Cheap helmets might pass the tests done to them but do they "just" pass, or are they substantially better than the test requires?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts