Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pair of Ardcases for my 13 plate Varadero. Could you please let me know of any thoughts re this product, good or bad. Other help re customer service, what pannier fittings to use etc. would be gratefully received.
Thanks.... Andy

·
Registered
261 Posts
I bought a set - extremely good quality for price, british made, pannier inner bags excellent. Solid as a rock.

I haven't been on any decent length tour with them yet but the welded seams are perfect, lids fit well. Locks are robust. Mounting system to bike very strong and flexible.

I would buy them again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Give him a call, really nice bloke and he'll be happy to discuss your requirements.
Should be picking mine up soon.

Rick :thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've had a set for 18 months and very pleased with them, so much so I added a topbox last year. Excellent quality and the ability to build a bespoke set. The fitting and fitting kit is high end, I fitted mine to a set on Holan rails but Roger now sells Toura----. Available in a wide range of colours to match your bike. Frad has a set on his Vara and is well pleased. Give him a shout he did a Euro tour last year with them.If I changed my @ and new owner wanted it as is, I wouldn't hesitate buying another set.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents

I'm now ready to order them but I have two final questions please. When fitted do the panniers in anyway restrict the seating position of the pillion? and as the rack appears to be at quite an angle does this lend itself to there being any issues with the panniers also being at a tilt?
Any pics of yours fitted would be gratefully received.
Thank you... Andy

·
Registered
261 Posts
The pannier frame angles don't make a difference as you need to mount 4 hockey pucks on the cases. You can offer up the pannier and choose the angle an position and then just mount the pucks where you need them. If you are close, you can even take them to roger and he'll do it for you while you wait, once the cases have been built though!!!

I don't ride with a pillion but it looks to me there is no issue. Again, if you take a pillion with you, you can have the cases mounted just as you like.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pannier frame angles don't make a difference as you need to mount 4 hockey pucks on the cases. You can offer up the pannier and choose the angle an position and then just mount the pucks where you need them. If you are close, you can even take them to roger and he'll do it for you while you wait, once the cases have been built though!!!

I don't ride with a pillion but it looks to me there is no issue. Again, if you take a pillion with you, you can have the cases mounted just as you like.
Very helpful thanks... I will be riding up from Devon for Roger to fit mine in August. Cheers.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Frad has some ard cases & racks, seem great quality.
You fit the mounting pucks yourself, so can position the panniers to your liking.
However, there seems to be a lot (too many?) Holes to drill - so don't get it wrong! 1 central bolt in each puck would have been a better solution IMHO.

Phil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frad has some ard cases & racks, seem great quality.
You fit the mounting pucks yourself, so can position the panniers to your liking.
However, there seems to be a lot (too many?) Holes to drill - so don't get it wrong! 1 central bolt in each puck would have been a better solution IMHO.

Phil
Thanks Phil... Roger is to fit them so hopefully he'll get it right :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
As previously noted you position to your requirements - visually and functionality. I mounted mine to line up with the angle of the original rack and as far forward as feet on the pillion footrests would allow. My wife doesn't have any issues with their position and the lids are nearly level with the seat. If in any doubt get Roger to fit them - nice guy. good coffee. You'll not regret

·
Registered
497 Posts
As previously noted you position to your requirements - visually and functionality. I mounted mine to line up with the angle of the original rack and as far forward as feet on the pillion footrests would allow. My wife doesn't have any issues with their position and the lids are nearly level with the seat. If in any doubt get Roger to fit them - nice guy. good coffee. You'll not regret
Beaches & Mountains Tour 2013 004.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info and picture, very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad everyone was so positive about Ardcases and that for once my ol'man took my advice and went to Roger rather than the overpriced underspec official Honda stuff from Givi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad everyone was so positive about Ardcases and that for once my ol'man took my advice and went to Roger rather than the overpriced underspec official Honda stuff from Givi
I have ended up with having to have a Hepco and Becker pannier frame fitted as TT don't do one for a post 2006 Varadero. However, the silver lining is that the HB one is removable so i won't have to ride around with the frame when the cases are not in use :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been using Ard Cases for over five and a half years now and they have been brilliant. The powder coating is almost as new, not a chip or mark and the panniers have remained totally waterproof over all that time and miles. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts