Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever get the feeling bikes are getting too complicated?

Triumph Tiger Explorer review

.... the bike in question (or, at least, the full-spec option) features semi-active suspension, cornering ABS, cruise control, a torque-assist clutch, a Hill-Hold 'handbrake' function, a traction control system that boasts five standard riding modes and an infinite amount of settings in fully customisable mode, electrically-adjustable windscreen... the list goes on. And on.

Can you actually buy a 'simple' adventure bike these days? ie. one that can be 'fixed' in a village in Africa?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Can you actually buy a 'simple' adventure bike these days? ie. one that can be 'fixed' in a village in Africa?
You bet. Their name starts by XRV ;-)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
We're talking current here aren't we ?
I'd be interested to know too. I'm only guessing but with the XRV's finished in 2003 probably the last fixable thing in a "village" may be the 950KTM ? and that went what , 10 years back ?
Even a GS needed a laptop to fix a faultly brake bulb at that time ! :D

Oooh Oooh, got it ! The new Enfield ! :thumbup: ( I'd buy one. Not as my beloved bike but certainly if I was doing an adventure. :thumbup: Which I'm not for the moment :(:(:( )

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
if you want carbs, no abs, no electronic gizmos, your choices are..

transalp 600/650
'old style' africa twin
kawasaki kle500
yamaha xt600
honda XL series?
suzuki DR series
ktm 950 adventure?
tiger 885
yamaha xtz750
bmw r1150gs ?
bmw r1000gs
bmw f650
other older bmws?
yamaha tdm series

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ever get the feeling bikes are getting too complicated?
And too heavy. A 190kg bike can easily reach 250kg loaded. So, when you start out with a 240kg bike an add 60kg of load, while expecting to ride on sand, you know you're going to sweat... ;-)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yes, you could easily go around the world on a Suzuki DRZ400 and a small rucksack and a £50 top box.
I 100% agree

Lee

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Could the 1150GSA have fooled travellers by letting them believe they needed 300kg of metal to go around the world?

FU Charley and Ewan... ;-)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were doing any kind of trip that had 'proper' off-road sections I wouldn't have anything bigger than a 600cc

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
once they still run on petrol and dont start picking fights with you once a month then they are not to complicated . women are complicated but once they figure out that you are not buying their whacky shit they give it up after a while . electric bikes **** that but it could be worse you could buy a moped that runs on monkey spunk then you would have a complicated means of transport obtaining fuel would be a nighmare . Mickey's Monkey Spunk Moped. - VIZ

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, a CRF250L works.

But can an African villager fixed a throttle position indicator or a fuel injection system?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yep, a CRF250L works.

But can an African villager fixed a throttle position indicator or a fuel injection system?
Injection itself is usually extremely reliable. But it is true that a fuel pump is an extra device that can fail. But hey, even carb floats can fail. ;-)

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
471 Posts
Well, the 660 Tenere's still available new and is probably one of the simplest, most durable and reliable bikes around. Ok, it has FI but the risk of that going wrong is very remote. Whilst not a lightweight, it's far lighter than the big, so-called adventure bikes like the Explorer. And then there's the CCM GP450 which is pretty uncomplicated.....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The XTZ 660 is indeed nice, but it is not a light bike at 215kg wet. Most likely 195kg dry which is only 10kg lighter than an RD07 with stock muffler. Fit a slip-on and the difference is only 5kg.

The days of the 140kg Honda XL600R are long gone. ;-)

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
471 Posts
The XTZ 660 is indeed nice, but it is not a light bike at 215kg wet. Most likely 195kg dry which is only 10kg lighter than an RD07 with stock muffler. Fit a slip-on and the difference is only 5kg
The XTZ660 is 208kg wet, and that includes 23 litres of fuel and a heavy, twin-silencer exhaust. However, the XT660R - the 'normal' trail bike version, is quite a bit less at around 180kg wet and that's also with twin pipes/silencers but only 15 litres of fuel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Look at the colour on Charley's face! Must have been the umteenth time he'd picked the damn thing up.
Funny too see the reference today to Mondo. I was only talking about that crew this morning too the fellow changing tyres of my @T.
I was explaining that Paul Mules (local boy) had a hand in their training.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It depends on one´s point of view, i´de say.
Personally i concider bikes nowadays have way too much gizmos and gadgets, like the list you´ve posted at the beginning of this thread.

Every brand wants to put in the market their bike, and they want it to have more than the bikes from their competition. Agressive design, more safety features, more power, more speed, etc, to make their bike better than the others (in the eye of the buyer/costumer)

Me? personally nothing beats our good ol´xrv750 and the like, but then again for the younger generation of bike riders, its like the old saying goes, The more the better.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 34 Posts