Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
around 1991 honda started releasing the 600 transalp with silver engines (from 1986-1990 the engines were black)

from what i can see the silver engined ones don't seem to age as well, they often seem tarnished/corroded

apart from that, is there any difference in the engine itself? are the silver engines more reliable? or less prone to faults?

i would be interested to hear everyone's opinions..

1986-1990
1.jpg

1991-1999
2.jpg

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The black engines have a different output shaft & external oil feed lines to the head, maybe other changes that I'm not aware of?
I have seen reports that the black engine bores can oval, leading to oil consumption.
I recall the black engines having smaller valve clearances that was revised for tge silver engines, otherwise,essentially the same lump.

Is your assumption on the black engined being better based just on the external engine finish?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no real reason, just curious

i have just seen view "engine seized" transalps over the years advertised and most seem to be the silver engine models. but i guess they made more silver ones

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an 87 with the black engine.
It's done 75,000 km and yes it does use a little oil.
Not excessively so, maybe half a litre in 1,000km
Still runs as strong as ever, it had 60,000 km on when I bought it and it hasn't gotten any worse.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
my 1990 has just done 76000 kms its purring like a kitten ticks over lovely no smoke lovely smooth gear change uses very little oil when ridden steady used a drop when I flog the shit out of it :D front sprocket welded on when I got it . its by far the best bike I ever owned and I would be very sad to be without it . apart from a couple of cdi units failing before I put a brace plate on top of the frame rails its never failed me and I enjoy every mile I ride on it . I am not biased they are the best bikes ever made way ahead of their time anyone w3ho knows there shit wouldn't argue with that . Honda build the best **** the rest :thumbup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Half a litre in what, 600 miles. Not exactly an insignificant amount for a relatively low miles bike.
like I said, "maybe" half a litre in 1,000km

I've never actually measured it, I check it when I remember and just pour some in from a can when it gets low on the dipstick, I would say it goes from max to min about every 4 or 5 tankfuls of fuel, so around 1200 - 1500km (800 - 1,000miles) ?

Is max to min half a litre? I figured it wasn't far off.

Whatever, the bike runs superbly, doesn't smoke or rattle, but does use a little more oil if I insist on caning it round the red line (so I don't).

Can't say it bothers me at all, I know she'll keep trucking on just as long as I remember to top her up now and then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts