Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

my AT has 75K miles on the clock (57K done by me) but the engine still goes marvellously. I don't know you, but I still want to keep a bike like that.

But I had already changed 2 original fuel pumps before starting to enquire the web to see if there is a solution... and I landed on this site. I should have done it before!

I read all the old threads and piles of messages and I got that there are 3 options available (apart from the vacuum pump, a solution that I don't like):

1) facet fuel pump: probably the solution used by you all lately.
2) Pierburg fuel pump: I like this German stuff, but it looks more complicated to fit than option 1 (or not?).
3) "The Swedish fix" of the old pump: more work to do than previous options, and as I want my mechanic to do that anyway, it is probably the most expensive option.

I'm leaning towards option 1, but I welcome any advice/experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome gcsixty6!

My thoughts on the matter.
1) Stay away from the vacuum pump.
2) I know Maverick had a Pierburg pump and it never gave any hassles.
3) Facet is probably the cheapest fix and I've yet to hear of a single failure. I've done almost 35k miles on mine. It is a bit of an effort to fit but nothing some warm water to soak the rubber in and some lubricant can't sort.
4) Can't really comment on "The Swedish fix"

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
facet pump, used on light-airplanes for their reliability, MODEL 40105, I've been informed/read that the 40106 has too higher psi/bar and fuel may come out of the carb overflow. internet or ebay £25+/-

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

much appreciated.
I think I'm going for the Facet pump. Sold on UK ebay. Easy to get. No so easy to fix although yesterday I saw a post in this forum with all the pictures on how to fit the pump seamlessly.

It's 1 hour I'm trying to find that post again... anyone who remembers it?

Thanks all again... and have good rides now that the weather starts to be acceptable... more or less...

Giancarlo

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Rugged Roads sell the right pump at a good price - and it comes with all the correct connections for the 10mm fuel pipe that the @ uses.

Steve T

:cool:

PS - I've fitted three too three different @'s, and never had a problem with them running.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi guys,

There is another option... and it only costs 1€.

This is what I did on my bike (pics are of a friend who taught me this modification):

The solution consists in adding a diode at the end of the coil, it serves as a "freewheeling" and allows an induced current to flow without its destructive arcing. I put a diode that supports approximately 7-8 A:

You have to solder the anode to ground on the output switch (negative side of the coil) and solder the cathode to the blue wire striped black feeds the coil + side:

Then you must isolate the metal part of the diode to prevent it from coming into contact with a piece of metal pump. For that just use either some thermo-retractable sheath some hot glue (applicate with a gun) which can also be used to "fix" the diode

and… That’s all!

Below is an image which shows the condition of the contact which is now stabilized after 14000kms:

Here is a video of the standard fuel pump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp4nokLffQA&feature=player_embedded

Here is a video of the standard fuel pump + diode de roue libre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXGlxnJ-4AE&feature=player_embedded

Here is the reference of the diode I used : FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR|RURP860|DIODE REDRESSEMENT DOUX 8A | Farnell France

Hope this helps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rugged Roads sell the right pump at a good price - and it comes with all the correct connections for the 10mm fuel pipe that then @ uses.

Steve T

:cool:

Thanks Steve,

I went on Ebay that was quicker.
I think you where referring to these connections

Please wait
Image not available
Facet fuel pump unions 10mm FPA 903/C

Facet fuel pump unions 10mm FPA 903/C on eBay (end time 21-Mar-10 08:18:01 GMT)

that in fact I bought with along with the pump.

I'll keep on eye on RR site though. Interesting indeed.
:thumbup:

Cheers
Giancarlo

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't mention that Fabien's solution (Merci!) seems brilliant ("The French connection"? :p)

Unfortunately I am not a mechanic (just a humble software engineer ;)) and considering how much mine charges me per hour, that means that changing the pump, for me, might be a cheaper solution all in all.

I wonder why Honda did not come to a similar solution in 20 years of AT model lifespan. And they knew that. 2 years ago, when my 2nd pump left me in Slovenia, the Honda service there not even looked at the bike. They changed the pump straight away.
Mitsubishi must thank Honda every day...

Also Hedlund's solution ("the Swedish fix") is brilliant
www.xrv.org.uk/media/fuelpumpXRV750.pdf
I insert the link for reference.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The French Connection

Hi Fabien

the diode in your link has 3 connections whereas in your photo there are 2.
Which is the Anode and which is the Cathode - please excuse me if I am being electronically ignorant !!
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been reading up on these fuel pump posts as I think its time to replace my pump.
Bought the bike in Dec (09 RD07a RWB) rode it home put in in the garage.
On the way home the bike was hunting for fuel around a steady 70mph.
I put it down to the cold, carb icing etc.
But now that the weather has warmed up a little and I've been riding the bike I find that its still doing it.
Is this a sign that the pump is on its way?

Also
Not to mudy the waters re the facet pump
I read that it is being replaced by Facet and is now called the posi flow
see a link here
FACET PUROLATOR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP UNION 1.5 - 4.0 psi on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 10:29:02 GMT)

Any views from the wise?

Loudpedal

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: The French Connection

Hi Fabien

the diode in your link has 3 connections whereas in your photo there are 2.
Which is the Anode and which is the Cathode - please excuse me if I am being electronically ignorant !!
Regards
Mike
Hi Mike,

I can confirm you that the reference in the weblink is good- only the photo is different and "non contractuelle" which means the photo does not necessarily represent the real item ;)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have been reading up on these fuel pump posts as I think its time to replace my pump.
Bought the bike in Dec (09 RD07a RWB) rode it home put in in the garage.
On the way home the bike was hunting for fuel around a steady 70mph.
I put it down to the cold, carb icing etc.
But now that the weather has warmed up a little and I've been riding the bike I find that its still doing it.
Is this a sign that the pump is on its way?

Also
Not to mudy the waters re the facet pump
I read that it is being replaced by Facet and is now called the posi flow
see a link here
FACET PUROLATOR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP UNION 1.5 - 4.0 psi on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 10:29:02 GMT)

Any views from the wise?

Loudpedal
That seller in the ebay link gives no mention of the model # the 60104 replaces. :confused:

I started a thread on the 6000 series awhile back and it seemed the pressures were off a bit compared to the 40105. One member here fitted one and seemed to have issues. Weed thru the following thread for more info. But maybe the 60104 needs more testing...and a report back to this forum. As said many times...we know the 40105 works.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/18274-new-facet-60000-series-fuel-pump.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
I started a thread on the 6000 series awhile back and it seemed the pressures were off a bit compared to the 40105. One member here fitted one and seemed to have issues. Weed thru the following thread for more info. But maybe the 60104 needs more testing...and a report back to this forum. As said many times...we know the 40105 works.

Thanks for that.
Any thoughts about my bikes problem?
Is it showing signs of a faulty pump or should I be looking elsewhere for my problem?

Loudpedal

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks for that.
Any thoughts about my bikes problem?
Is it showing signs of a faulty pump or should I be looking elsewhere for my problem?

Loudpedal
Sometimes it's hard to diagnose that hi speed miss...but it's simple enough to remove your pump and inspect the contacts for wear by removing the screw and cover. Probably pitted if you don't know the history.

You could try filling the tank right to the top and bypass the pump with a hose allowing the weight of the fuel to give you the head pressure req'd to the carbs. If problem goes away...then it was probably the pump.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could try filling the tank right to the top and bypass the pump with a hose allowing the weight of the fuel to give you the head pressure req'd to the carbs. If problem goes away...then it was probably the pump.

Ok
Thanks
Will try that and see how it goes.

Loudpedal

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For LoudPedal or whoever might need this.

I have quite an experience with fuel pumps having burned 2 of them already.

The more you travel at speed the more quicker will be the process of burning the contacts. My 2nd fuel pump lasted less (15K miles only!) because I changed it before coming back from southern Europe. So I made a lot of miles on the motorway (plus half of my daily commuting).

When it is starting to fail it is more likely that you get the symptioms when you're at speed on the motorway. First you start to feel it is missing fuel. Then after a while of this high speed driving (ok, 70mph, I am not nuts ;)), zac, the fuel pump cut off completely and you stop on the side of the road.
Don't despair. Just wait 30 mins and you'll be able to switch on the bike again and go home (if I had known it before: first time it happened I was going to the airport and calliing the rescue I lost plane and a lot of money to rebook the flight).
You can still a lot of miles more, at lower speed. Obviously the phenomenon will happen again more and more often until you change the pump for another one.

Today my mechanic mounted the Facet pump. I am curious to feel how it goes tomorrow or Monday.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
New Facet 40105 installed this afternoon.
After a 25 mile brisk run and a 5 minute tick over everything seems
to be very good.

First dry miles I've done on the bike.
Also breaking in a Motad venom pipe which sounds great.
Needless to say I arrived home with a huge grin on my face.
Looking forward to a few more miles now that the roads are salt free.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this and previous threads about the facet 40105

Loudpedal

1 - 20 of 69 Posts