Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Getting there
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody

im :newb: here, just joined and just picked up my first Africa Twin this evening:thumbright:. it is a 1997 (r reg). on my way home, i noticed it had a misfire between 2400 and 3000 revs. and while it was misfiring, it made a judder and a knocking noise. in slow speed traffic it wouldnt run in 2nd or 3rd ( due to misfire)

other than that, it ran fine above 3000 revs, cruising at 80-85moh without much effort.i am a super tenere rider and the africa twin felt very underpowered compared to the ST. i am hoping thats due to the misfire. i have waited a long time to get an AT and i really want to get it running right.

please help!!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D

I would say the first thing to check is one of the most common problems with AT's and that is the choke assembly.

Do not assume the chokes are returning just because the choke lever is.

You need to check the lever, the single cable that runs down to the splitter (usual point of seizure) and the two cables that exit the splitter and go to each carb, where the plungers also stick.

Be VERY careful not to break the plastic nuts that hold the choke cables into the carb, as they cannot be purchased separately, and a kit will cost you £40 if you break one.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Getting there
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Choke is a good possibility yes. But if you fix it the AT will stay a bit underpowered compared to the ST.

Greetz.
thanks. as long as it runs fine, ive always wanted an AT, but settled for the cheaper ST at the time due to finances. mine had a TDM850. but im willing to live with a little less power, as long as it runs well.

·
Getting there
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again

Thanks for the tips. Checked the choke cables, a little bit of gunk and rust where they go into the carbs. I have freed them and cleaned them out. Seem to be moving fine.

Another thing I found is that on the manifold, I think it may have a scotioler which had been removed, but the threads were messed up and it was blocked using a pop rivet. I have re-tapped the threads and put a bolt in it.
Re fitted everything back on, and took it for a run. Huge difference. I have smooth acceleration now, and definitely more power.

But in slow speeds I still get engine vibration when revs are low 2500ish. Please help.

Also I was considering a k&n filter and a Motad venom can. Any advice?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Hello again

Thanks for the tips. Checked the choke cables, a little bit of gunk and rust where they go into the carbs. I have freed them and cleaned them out. Seem to be moving fine.

Another thing I found is that on the manifold, I think it may have a scotioler which had been removed, but the threads were messed up and it was blocked using a pop rivet. I have re-tapped the threads and put a bolt in it.
Re fitted everything back on, and took it for a run. Huge difference. I have smooth acceleration now, and definitely more power.

But in slow speeds I still get engine vibration when revs are low 2500ish. Please help.

Also I was considering a k&n filter and a Motad venom can. Any advice?
When you say vibration, what exactly do you mean? Is it compared to the ST? Is it in any gear?
Most peeps do fit an after market can that sounds better, it wont really release power but it may rev a bit better.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
They can be a bit lumpy if the carbs are not balanced properly. Try synchronizing them with a pair of decent gauges and you may find that does the trick.

·
Getting there
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say vibration, what exactly do you mean? Is it compared to the ST? Is it in any gear?
Most peeps do fit an after market can that sounds better, it wont really release power but it may rev a bit better.
When I say judder, it kind of a misfire or hesitation. For example in second or third gear. When I shift down and rev it, it seems Ok.. Basically I would say poorish performance at lower revs, but a huge improvement from when I got it.

·
Getting there
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They can be a bit lumpy if the carbs are not balanced properly. Try synchronizing them with a pair of decent gauges and you may find that does the trick.
Well, I was hoping to do that as well, but when I found the airleak and freed the choke cables, I thought I had nailed it.

And also I would have had to wait till I got hole of a gauge or Carbtune kit. And

·
Registered
17 Posts
Usually when it miss fires at low rpm's while idolling or down shifting it's the pilot jets. I would say pull the carbs out clean the jets, maybe go one or two sizes higher on the pilots. Put carbs back in adjust fuel screws at about 2.5 turns out and see how it runs. If it's still miss firing open the screws 0.5 turn at a time untill it stops miss firing. Good luck !!! :thumbup:
Also check your carbs for the air leak. While the engine is running spray the carb cleaner around the rubber boots that connect the carbs to the cylinders, if the engine rpm's increase it means you have the air leak and the rubber boots need to be replaced.
I'm pretty much sure that it's your pilot jets that are dirty thou...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts