Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a clue please? mechanic says my 04 is running lean on the front plug on one pot, plug is very white. talking about up-jetting the carb? My skills are nill so I will pass the thread on so he can see it.
Thanks in advance

Ivan

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
RD04 or 07.

On RD04, adjustment screw require the tank off - or at least raised.

There is a screw left and right cannot remember which side is front and which is rear but it will be obvious. You Screw it right in and then unscrew it by a set number of turns normally. But if you know one is specifically out then I guess you could just unscrew that a tiny bit more and see how it goes. Once you have done the adjustment you have to balance the carbs again.

Makes a big difference.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
I wouldn't think the jetting would be out.... unless the carbs have been "fiddled with". Are all 4 plugs the correct type? do you have any air leaks between carb and cylinder-head (manky rubber?) causing a weak mixture? Is the float level correct? Is the needle clip set at the correct notch? (not sure if this is adjustable on the AT)
As Chris says, cartb balance/synchronization can make a big difference to overall running (although the mixture screws affect mainly tickover/slow running, so I'd not expect them to change greatly the plug colour)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
RD04 or 07.

On RD04, adjustment screw require the tank off - or at least raised.

There is a screw left and right cannot remember which side is front and which is rear but it will be obvious. You Screw it right in and then unscrew it by a set number of turns normally. But if you know one is specifically out then I guess you could just unscrew that a tiny bit more and see how it goes. Once you have done the adjustment you have to balance the carbs again.

Makes a big difference.
Chris, the pilot screws will have neglible difference to mixture & plug colour at anything much above tickover.
Carb balance does nothing for mixture but the bike will run better/nicer with balanced carbs.

IMHO, the plugs often/should come out perfectly white/clean on a modernish engine, or they do on mine anyway.....
Assuming (as Hotbulb says) the carbs haven't been messed with, float heights are correct & no air leaks my suggestion would be sticky choke on the rear (making it run richer).

Phil

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Massive split in the front carb diaphram, it sounds so much meatier now and mechanic said on the test ride it rode like a different bike! we shall see if it ever stops raining long enough. all good though, a few quid lighter but got to be done. Thanks for the pointers though, the carb had been played with as the mix screw was right in.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts