Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
yes, this effectively bans any bike older than 12 years old from Central London, from April 2019 and also effectively bans them from inside the North and South Circular roads from the year 2020 See: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-ultra-low-emission-zone-sadiq-khan-air-pollution-plan-expansion-a8389076.html
unbelievable hypocrisy regarding the proposed Heathrow development...sooner or later the pips will squeak and people will just ignore 'the law'...it's already happening to a certain extent....non payment of minor fines etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
it's a well researched and seldom quoted fact that the energy required (and therefore pollution created) to manufacture a new car is many times more than the energy consumed (and emissions generated) during its useful life. Keeping an older vehicle in good nick and on the road for as long as possible is about the 'greenest' form of motorised personal transport...most of this energy has already been 'spent' back when it was produced. Scrapping it and buying a new super eco vehicle still generates around five times more than the old vehicle during it's lifetime. It's a con to persuade people to continue to consume new vehicles, since so many industries (read voters and party donors) and government revenue streams depend on the automobile. If they really wanted to tackle air quality, they would invest in cycling infrastructure, integrated mass transit and social planning, along similar lines to those taken by the Dutch some 50 years ago.... Heathcote Williams had one or two things to say about the car in particular... "Oil, A secular sacrament Whose price is regarded as essential to keep as low as possible, Perhaps to divert attention from its true value, And which, if the gurus of Exxon, Texaco, BP and the ‘Seven Sisters’ are correct Is most properly exploited When as many people as possible Are incinerating as much of it as they can For as trivial a reason as they can find, To keep a continuous carousel of consumer offal on the move― In an alfresco gas chamber. MORE than twice the number in the death-camps, A hundred and thirty times the kill at Hiroshima, Eight times the count in Korea, Two hundred and thirty Vietnams, Eight thousand five hundred Ulsters . . . The Hundred Years War in a week; The Crusades in under thirty seconds. A Black Death with bubonic rats on wheels, A quarter of a million ‘auto-fatalities’ a year― The humdrum holocaust― The fast-food―junk-death―road-show." Happy friday....!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
i don't understand how some 2007 650s pass.... yet most other 650s fail. they are exactly the same bike/engine

and a few months ago 2004-2006 650s were passing the ULEZ test, but not now.

although maybe they have just made it so any 650 registered prior to 1st July 2007 fails, in accordance with the ULEZ

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
My 04 Deauville no longer passes, whereas it did before. It sounds like they are just picking a date whereby vehicles are classes as 'clean'.
Its a good job Heathrows new runway won't create extra pollution....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
After putting many registrations into the ULEZ site it would appear they have kiboshed anything registered before 1st July 2007, but.... I have a BMW R1200RT registered April 2007, which passes.

All very odd.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
If you want to get your "non ULEZ" bike free to use in the London ULEZ you need to get the Honda "Certificate of Conformity for your vehicle

It's free.

Email:

[email protected]

you need to give them the VIN and Engine number, and your home address (they will post you it)

If the NOX value shown on the Certificate is under 0.15 (EURO3 standard) then you need to upload the Certificate and V5 here, and tfl will get back to you

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/cc-contact-us-make-an-enquiry-wizard-37743

See this thread about a guy with a 2004 R1200GS who has done this

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459935-When-did-the-R1200GS-become-Euro-3-Compliant/page4

·
Registered
8 Posts
This does not seem to be the case, at least for my bike, I received yesterday the COC document for my Transalp 650 (first registered in October 2006) and the NOx value reads 0.1509 i.e. just above the Euro 3 upper limit :(

This may be unfortunately the end of the road for my trusty Transalp 650 to commute to central London where I work and I need to replace it by April. It is not an easy task as I need something 100% reliable that requires very little maintenance, is not fazed by rain/salt and is not desirable to thieves as it stays out in a parking bank until late. Oh well, will have a couple of months to think of it..

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mmmmm swap bikes

I'll email them for a CoC for my TA '01 and see if there's any consistency in what they're dishing out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be properly peed off if I had to think about changing bike just to pass the entrance exam for London commuters ???, although getting bad all over the country for bikes, you cant even park for free in some towns round me, Manchester keeps threatening to intoduce a pollution charge.........but nothing so far.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts