Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Registered
672 Posts
I changed my password a couple of weeks ago when prompted, then over the weekend it refused to accept it - so I had to use the lost password function to reset it once more.

·
Administrator
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all

Were you sent another email reset? Or was you login not accepted when you came back to the site?

If the login wasn't accepted, it's possible the browsers were trying to pull a bad cookie with an old password. Try clearing you cookies and cache and any passwords you have saved for the site, and then login again. This should reset the Remember Me function and update any passwords on your browsers. Let me know if this helps at all.

For the database error, I tried to recreate it but I was able to update my password with no issue. Are you still seeing this? Could you get a screenshot for me to send to tech please?

Dayle

·
Registered
672 Posts
It was rejectecting the new reset password (the one administrator after the reset sent on 26th June) as I tried reentering it from the email and what I had stored in my Macs keychain - hence why I used the lost password function which sent me an entirely new password.

·
Administrator
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you have any issues, please let me know. give us the details. We'll use a test account to try this out.

lee

·
Registered
741 Posts
Any user that uses the same password on different sites should change them all with immediate effect.
Verticalscope was hacked and the password and user profiles have been made public on malicious sites.
Just a warning for anyone unaware of the current state of play.

·
Administrator
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It did but not for too long. Tonight I couldn't login with my last password so had to reset it once more. This is getting frustrating
Hey there

Are you clearing your cache, cookies and saved passwords after these resets? It could be that your browser is randomly pulling a bad cookie with an old password even when you enter the correct password.

Dayle

·
Registered
552 Posts
No I didn't clear the manually, I believe I got the message after password reset that the cookies were deleted automatically.

Just tried to change password from the one I got in mail after reset:
Latest Firefox
Cleared all XRV cookies
xrv1.jpg xrv2.jpg

Same happens in Chrome

·
Administrator
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I didn't clear the manually, I believe I got the message after password reset that the cookies were deleted automatically.

Just tried to change password from the one I got in mail after reset:
Latest Firefox
Cleared all XRV cookies
View attachment 101001 View attachment 100993

Same happens in Chrome
Hey there

Sending this up to tech #2062770

Dayle

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yup, me too. The warning page links don't work, and the only way I can get in is by trying to register anew using my existing username. That's the only way I can get the prompt for forgotten password. Then I have to wait for the email, enter the new password, try unsuccessfully to change it (error warning) and hope it doesn't happen again. Fat chance, it keeps happening. WTF is going on, VS?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts