Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Autocom box arrive with a kenwood radio.
Electrics are no mystrong point. I am wanting to put the connectors on so it only works when the ignition is on. Is it ok to connect the positive connector to the taillight postive as it suggests in the leaflet? If so is it a matter if following the wires back from the taillight to find a place to connect?

I have the pillion wire from the mainhub and was thinking of putting it close to the front edge of the pillion hand rail as there seems to be a space underneath it to fit the wire through. Anyone recommend a better place (clean answers only - been here long enough to know you guys)

cheers
Gary

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's fine to take the Autocom feed from the tailight - that's how I did mine and it's fine. Take the negative back to the battery though.
My passenger lead comes out pretty much where you've suggested; I stuck one of those P clips onto the panel to stop the lead from flapping about when it's not in use.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
That has sorted my weekend out :)

I have an iPhone with tom tom on it I am not sure whether it is best to connect this by Bluetooth or direct to the music port.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have an iPhone with tom tom on it I am not sure whether it is best to connect this by Bluetooth or direct to the music port.
That I can't help you with - I have a Zumo. I would try using the music port first & see how you go, only so you don't have to shell out big money on the bluetooth module.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I've now got mine tapped into a positive from the fusebox and have tried loads of differing versions of earth, but still get interference a clicking nose in time with the revs (no idea what the technical name for it is)
Autocom recommend there direct to battery set up, I suppose it switches off automatically but have not got round to ordering one yet

Everything else runs through the satnav that can be bluetoothed or connected via cables.
For info I’ve bought the cheaper Garmin NÜVI 765 and the supplied Autocom cables fit, headphone in the unit and mic in the holder, 8GB of music double Bluetooth connection, well chuffed

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I've now got mine tapped into a positive from the fusebox and have tried loads of differing versions of earth, but still get interference a clicking nose in time with the revs (no idea what the technical name for it is)
It's more likely you are picking up the ignition via the satnav cable. Disconnect it at the autocom and go for a run to prove things. A bit of careful routing of the cable keeping the frame between it and the rear coil should sort you out.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i know you dont have a zumo but one of the MP3 playing GPS forums might have an answer for you?
www.zumoforums.com, tomtom must have something similar. probably need a suppressor in the power line or something, quite common with car sound systems

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are Autocom back in business again after their troubles? Didn't Starcom buy them out?
They are part of starcom now. I purchased from tinternet site who deal with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fitted mine with a direct wire to the battery pos/neg. Then fitted an inline fuse and switch on the pos between the battery and the unit. I have the switch hidden under the left plastic cover but can reach it to turn it on/off.

I had also looked at wiring it to the position light which works only when ignition is on but the switch is working fine and has done for two years. Absolutley no interference with the sound or unit at all.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looking at wiring the negative to the taillight.... But....
I am not sure it's right. There are 3 wires. Brown , green/yellow and green.
I have the positive on the battery but it doesn't matter which of the three wires I connect to the autocom box is live even without the keys in.

Help the nugget please!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Green is the earth.
If the positive is wired direct to battery then why not the earth.
I have mine wired to a relay that is powered by the sidelight circuit, it is wired together with the sat-nav so both use the same fuse.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Green is the earth.
If the positive is wired direct to battery then why not the earth.
I have mine wired to a relay that is powered by the sidelight circuit, it is wired together with the sat-nav so both use the same fuse.
Ah I think I have missed understood. I can take the Brown and the Green from the taillight and this will mean it only works when ignition is in.... told you I was a nugget

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I was doing well - wired up to the taillight. Added the headset to the helmet and connected it all together. Put the seat back on and thought - right off for a ride to see if I can get the volume right.

Wasn't until I pulled the brake on that things went a little wrong - turned itself off !
long story short I had connected to the Green/Yellow wire - now I know what that one is for!

Sorted now.....

I can connect the Iphone through the jack on the top of it and then connect to the Autocom hub using the music connection - both rider and pillion hear the music and the volume reduces when you speak over the VOX.

I have TomTom on the Iphone and this uses the same connection.
I don't think I will purchase the Bluetooth extra dongle at the moment as I would only need it for the phone part and as I cannot multitask at riding and talking on the phone anyway I will not be using the phone.

The only issue I have is not being able to alter the volume say when you pull up and someone talks to you off bike. I suppose I could always turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have TomTom on the Iphone and this uses the same connection.
I don't think I will purchase the Bluetooth extra dongle at the moment as I would only need it for the phone part and as I cannot multitask at riding and talking on the phone anyway I will not be using the phone.

The only issue I have is not being able to alter the volume say when you pull up and someone talks to you off bike. I suppose I could always turn the ignition off.
The Bluetooth dongle would stop you connecting the phone Direct as it uses the same powered output.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had lost of noise on my 700va Alp. I fitted a relay switched off the ignition to supply power direct from the battery, removed the BT "dongle" , and all was fine ! I had a Zumo on the same power line as the autocom previously, not sure if that was part of the cause.

I found it too distracting talking on the phone and riding at the same time ! (It's up for offers if anyones interested - PM me)

Iain

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having left my iPhone wired to the autocom when leaving the bike 2x I have decided a Bluetooth dingle would be the best way. At least then I leave it in my pocket and not on view on the bike for any tom dick or jessabell to nick.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Where has anyone stashed their autocom unit on the vara. I already have loads of bits and bobs in what little space there is under the seat. I was thinking about under the fairing but would mean vox and vol adjustment would be a pita. Ideas or even better pics would be nice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts